Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Door Handle Fix (E53)

How-To articles ONLY go here.
Sanj
Lifer
Lifer

Door Handle Fix (E53)

Post by Sanj » Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:03 pm

Soooo...

Jig’s car developed the door handle failure...

Many thanks in advance to xoutpost for their posts on this – thought I’d also post on this site.

The exterior handle would not open the door (the interior one was fine). Noticed the handle was sitting proud (drivers door) – couldn’t push it down into its normal position.

This is an issue with the door handle carrier. You need to replace it with a new one (perhaps). Part number is 51218243616 for the drivers door or ending in 5 for the passenger one. Rear one’s I didn’t ask about but would assume part numbers will end in 3/4. Roughly coming in at £69 now (Nov 2011).

To get it out, you need to remove this plastic piece, located on the inside of the door sill, next to the handle.

This comes out in two pieces, there is a centre piece that comes out first and then the outer edge.

Addition kindly made by Ubatoid:

This is another view of the location of the screw holding the lock barrel in place.....

Now get the door card off, remove the wood/silver door trim (just pops off – no screws) and you reveal 2 screws and the other two (one behind the airbag cap) and one at the bottom near the cubby hole. TAKE CARE when removing the card - it is still held on by poppers all the way round. When pulling to overcome the release you can pull too hard and break what's already connect inside the door card. You have the VERY delicate plastic piece that feeds the light to the door handle, the door handle cable itself, 3 connectors on the window switch and the light on the bottom edge of the door card. Get these disconnected and the card will come away.

Choice is yours next, take the airbag off or let it hang, bolts as shown. We took it out, remove fuse 44 in the glove box and then unclip it from behind once it’s off. BE CAREFUL at all times and NEVER switch the ignition back on until this is connected back up and the fuse is back in place. Otherwise you’ll get the airbag light on the dash and this can only be reset by the dealer or indy.

Here’s a picture of the carrier in situ once you remove the foam backing, where the side airbag was.

You need to get this out. That first plastic piece on the door sill that was removed will reveal an allen key bolt that needs removing. Look at an angle to find it – pretty obvious.

Removing that bolt allows the exterior lock to be removed.

The whole piece will come away – may be stuck in fast...

Remember how it fits, there’s a hole that the barrel will go into, like a cross (Mogs, where are you when I need a decent shot!)

The barrel needs to be removed to allow this bolt to be undone. You'll see how it pulls down and away - be careful not to let the handle scratch car exterior paint.

The handle is free on one end and now the other end just needs twisting through 90 degrees (anti-clockwise – I think). You want to free theses two teeth

They fit into the carrier here

Addition kindly made by Ubatoid:

This is the position the handle needs to be to dis-engage the lugs. Rotate anti-clockwise and pull straight out. I found when re-fitting, it helped a great deal to push the mechanism from inside the door to aid re-engaging the lugs.

Once the handle is out you can remove the rubber protector and see the screw behind it,that also needs to be removed

The carrier is almost free. It will be lose now and you need to get the cable free. There is a collar and ball joint that need to be pulled away – I used a coat hook bent to shape

This is the carrier out and the where the associated collar and ball joint are

In Jig’s case you can see where the failure is

The piece can be replaced but we decided to try an alternative. This should buy a bit of time...

Seems to hold well and once everything is put back together (reverse of the above) we have a working handle.

Hope this helps...
Last edited by Sanj on Sat Dec 03, 2011 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Scn Protect,Alarm Chirp,Ashtray del,Sub install,IV2,Screens,PS2 Media,Chrome rings,Schnitzer pedals,Reverse cam,Silver Grills,F/mirrors,Comp Spkrs,Heated S/W,20"168s,Splash scn,Arches,Remap,LED Tails,ACS Spoiler,'is' Bumper Trim,Rear heated seats,Rear blinds

Minda

Re: Door Handle Fix (E53)

Post by Minda » Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:14 pm

Hey great write-up, just leaves me thinking of one question How much of the car is held together with cable ties?
Current 2010 BMW X5 40d Msport E70FL 2014 BMW 435d Cab 2016 Mercedes Vito 119 Sport LWB

pvr
Lifer
Lifer

Post by pvr » Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:16 pm

Excellent write up as usual.

Oh, jig needs to get the scratch marks removed above the handle :poke:
X5M F85,  Golf Clipper, Abarth 595 Competizioni, Jeep

911 50th anniversary -
Site & Forum Admin Team Member.

Sanj
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Sanj » Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:38 pm

[quote=""Minda""]How much of the car is held together with cable ties?[/quote]

All of it if he had his way - as long as it's free!

[quote=""pvr""]Oh, jig needs to get the scratch marks removed above the handle :poke:[/quote]

Why do you think he never washes it!?! :roll:
Scn Protect,Alarm Chirp,Ashtray del,Sub install,IV2,Screens,PS2 Media,Chrome rings,Schnitzer pedals,Reverse cam,Silver Grills,F/mirrors,Comp Spkrs,Heated S/W,20"168s,Splash scn,Arches,Remap,LED Tails,ACS Spoiler,'is' Bumper Trim,Rear heated seats,Rear blinds

Turks
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Turks » Wed Sep 22, 2010 3:42 am

Fantastic write up! Well done Sanj!

Turks.
Present:
2018 (18) F85 X5M - Donnington Grey

Past:
2014 (14) F10 M5 - Monte Carlo Blue
2004 (54) E53 X5 4.8is - Sapphire Black

Sanj
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Sanj » Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:43 am

[quote=""Turks""]Fantastic write up! Well done Sanj! [/quote]

Most kind Turks :oops:

jeegnesh

Post by jeegnesh » Wed Sep 22, 2010 12:38 pm

[quote=""Sanj""][quote=""Minda""]How much of the car is held together with cable ties?[/quote]

All of it if he had his way - as long as it's free!

[quote=""pvr""]Oh, jig needs to get the scratch marks removed above the handle :poke:[/quote]

Why do you think he never washes it!?! :roll:[/quote]

Listen we don't all have e70's :evil: I probably get a new lifter soon it was the thrill of repairing for free for now.

Those aren't scratches, just dirt marks :rofl: plus my detailers guy been real lazy :thumbsup: (you know who you are)
Mods: H Steering, Towbar, Wide Arches, Inforad K2, HIDS, Heated Seats, PS2 Media Center, x555 Sub Box (Focal), Rear Fake Tins, RV Cam, Screen Protect, Front Tints, 168 20's, Re-Map, Black Roundels, De-badge, BSW Dash Mids, Tweeter & Xover, Rear Screens, Intravee

finnie

Post by finnie » Wed Sep 22, 2010 1:48 pm

I dont believe it. Last night about 930 i looked in the how to's for this and of course it wasnt there. A further internet search found a way to do it so I have just put the door back together after doing exactly this. Well The door handle still doesn't work as my carrier was broken in at least two places and I've had to order it for delivery to my house as I live on a scottish island with no BMW dealer.

One more thing I'd say is watch for the clip that is behind the handle. It was stuck fast and I ended up breaking the plastic on the back of the trim trying to get it off. Also when it broke the whole trim came away and i broke the clear plastic bit that lights up the door handle. I'll fix that when i care!

Good right up guys, wish i'd seen it this morning, I might have sworn a bit less today!

x555
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by x555 » Wed Sep 22, 2010 4:17 pm

Great write up Sanj :thumbsup: just to add to what finnie said also mind the light at the bottom of the door card, remember to unclip it first :)
54 PLATE E53 3.0d X5 FACELIFT BLACK WITH BLACK

Sanj
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Sanj » Wed Sep 22, 2010 4:54 pm

[quote=""finnie""]One more thing I'd say is watch for the clip that is behind the handle. It was stuck fast and I ended up breaking the plastic on the back of the trim trying to get it off. Also when it broke the whole trim came away and i broke the clear plastic bit that lights up the door handle.[/quote]

[quote=""x555""]Great write up Sanj :thumbsup: just to add to what finnie said also mind the light at the bottom of the door card, remember to unclip it first :)[/quote]

Duly noted and updated the How To. :thumbsup:

millerman1ac

Post by millerman1ac » Fri Jan 07, 2011 8:16 pm

cheers for the write up sanj, changed mine last week your instructions made it easy!!

one thing i will add is that care should be taken when removing the door handle i was a little to rough with mine and broke the little tabs that hold it on!!

bit of a PITA, all goes back together fine but its just a little slack at the narrower end of the handle. I will be looking out for a second hand black door handle on ebay to replace it.

But apart from that job done ;o)
2004 4.4 Sport Black with Black

1998 Suzuki TL1000R, power commander, ART cans, K & N, TRE

Sanj
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Sanj » Fri Jan 07, 2011 8:35 pm

Good man! Glad it helped!

Got to do Jig's now - he's finally decided to dip his hands in his pocket! :roll:

jeegnesh

Post by jeegnesh » Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:05 pm

Sanj don't get excited it was a very temporary glitch the handles still working mate :-)
Mods: H Steering, Towbar, Wide Arches, Inforad K2, HIDS, Heated Seats, PS2 Media Center, x555 Sub Box (Focal), Rear Fake Tins, RV Cam, Screen Protect, Front Tints, 168 20's, Re-Map, Black Roundels, De-badge, BSW Dash Mids, Tweeter & Xover, Rear Screens, Intravee

x555
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by x555 » Sat Jan 08, 2011 8:36 am

[quote=""jeegnesh""]Sanj don't get excited it was a very temporary glitch the handles still working mate :-)[/quote]
Jig old boy nice of you to drop in and say hello :D .....so any new mods since you last graced us with your pressence ....or any planned :D
54 PLATE E53 3.0d X5 FACELIFT BLACK WITH BLACK

jeegnesh

Post by jeegnesh » Sat Jan 08, 2011 11:42 am

Greetings no extra mods but I do have a non functioning seat belt buckle (drivers). Got one off eBay need to install now.