Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Broken it!

Discuss the problems with your X6 (E71).
X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Broken it!

Post by X5Sport » Wed May 23, 2012 12:02 pm

Oh well, more than 10 days in and BMW can't fix it because the er hem 'security device' ;) ;) is allegedly faulty and may be responsible for the battery issues! It was supposed to have been fixed 'within 48 hours' but will now be Friday (a week after the fault was found) before it gets looked at!

The Dealer cannot work on the car until the problem is sorted. Despite numerous attempts at persuading them it's very unlikely to be the battery, they are stuck on this single track and unwilling to divert off! When I was taught, test equipment was a tool to support personal knowledge and evidence and not the bible which it is now used as.

I don't know whether it's the Dealer's lack of ability technically, or BMW GB pulling the puppet's strings, or a combination of the two but I am very much less than impressed. Have expressed my 'disappointment' to all parties, not that it makes the slightest difference of course! :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

pvr
Lifer
Lifer

Post by pvr » Wed May 23, 2012 12:22 pm

Is that the USB lead you are referring to?
X5M F85,  Golf Clipper, Abarth 595 Competizioni, Jeep

911 50th anniversary -
Site & Forum Admin Team Member.

X6_40d_Nick

Post by X6_40d_Nick » Fri May 25, 2012 11:33 pm

@X5Sport, I've been reading your posts elsewhere, so I know you've not got you X6 back yet, but what's occurring?

Are you thinking along the lines of "...I'll give you another week before I ask for my money back..?"

Mine seems fine now, no adverse reaction to the battery incident....surely they should just be systematically replacing all potential parts to cure the fault on yours...?
2012, X6 xDrive40d
325d M Touring
Volvo XC60
Audi Q7 & A4 Avant
Lotus Exige S & Elise 135R
Focus ST
M3 SMG (E46)
Audi TT
Vauxhall Astra SRi
Porsche 968
Mercedes C180 CLC
325i & 316i Touring (E30)
Maserati Bi-Turbo Spider
Astra
1988, VW Golf

Rusty
Snr Member
Snr Member

Broken it!

Post by Rusty » Sat May 26, 2012 12:25 am

[quote=""X5Sport""]
I don't know whether it's the Dealer's lack of ability technically, or BMW GB pulling the puppet's strings, or a combination of the two but I am very much less than impressed. :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:[/quote]

Well, call me cynical, but, yes........

Do you not think it a little surprising that a £50+ k car with state of the art high speed fibre optic computer networks etc chooses to shut of fundamental and safety specific devices first rather than display a simple message to alert the driver to the possibility that the battery may need charging?
Surely the battery voltage detection is already there for it to start shutting things down as it is?
If it can work out that you may have low tyre pressure, then.........

Bless BMW!

I feel a little better now, sorry you don't X5Sport. :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
3.0d Sport Exclusive E53 CB with black comfort, pano, folding dimming mirrors, 20"ers, comms, xenons, focal sub, Intravee II, GSM heater........and so on.
Runabout - E92 3 Series Coupe

535dboy
Lifer
Lifer

Post by 535dboy » Sat May 26, 2012 6:16 am

Sorry to hear of your continued probs

Like any problem it is the way that it is dealt with that makes all of the difference and I think BMW are rubbish at customer service

Any probs we have had with the Audi they have been sorted in such a way that it takes the edge of the problem

Same with my experience with Porsche so far. There have been all sorts of problems with deliver of our car and I sold the TT weeks ago

The pain has been eased because I am now running around in a 991 cab until ours turns up, now hopefully Wednesday. I am much more relaxed as to when it comes because I have some decent wheels to get around in.
Currently :
2012 Audi RS4 (B8)
2012 Porsche Boxster S (981)
2008 Lotus Exige S (a bit modified!)
2015 Nissan Leaf twin turbo with Nitros

Previously :
2008 BMW X5 3.0sd MSport
2005 BMW 535d MSport

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Sat May 26, 2012 11:34 am

The car had the security device completely replaced yesterday and the Dealer has now left the car parked up and asleep until next week. I'm getting the impression from the Dealer that BMW GB are being a pain and it is they that are insisting a low battery will cause the instruments to lock out. No one else believes it and the 'Technician' is going by what BMW are telling him and doesn't appear to be able to think for himself or argue against them.

The problem appears to be that everything is now working fine and there's no fault being recorded so they're stuck. It might just be that the computers got into a tiz but it's a kind of serious 'tiz' to lose so much information and drop the instrument unit off the network.

I can see that eventually I'm going to have to call BMW GB myself and get someone with a bit of sense to look at this. The over-reliance on scripts for unexpected faults (which don't appear on the script of course) is very annoying. We will see what Monday brings.

If the Doc clears me to drive again then BMW ES will have to provide a car.... :D

Cannondale

Post by Cannondale » Sat May 26, 2012 12:43 pm

Sorry to here that it is taking so long to get your car fixed.

I would get a car off them either way and that way they have a reason to get yous fixed quicker.

Worth a go either way.

Rich...
2005 4.8is Carbon Black, panoramic roof,Comms, adj susp, black nappa leather, fr/rear seat heat, Elec adjt rear seats, fr/rear aircon,tinted windows, xenons, autodim r/v mirror, folding mirrors, DSP,Prof Speaker,alu side steps, Westfalia removable towbar,

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Sat May 26, 2012 1:19 pm

Hmmm, yes it might provide a bit of 'leverage'. I hadn't thought of it in that way..... :D :thumbsup:

535dboy
Lifer
Lifer

Post by 535dboy » Sat May 26, 2012 1:25 pm

That is why I asked for the 991 from Porsche because they are going to want their £85k demo back!!!
Currently :
2012 Audi RS4 (B8)
2012 Porsche Boxster S (981)
2008 Lotus Exige S (a bit modified!)
2015 Nissan Leaf twin turbo with Nitros

Previously :
2008 BMW X5 3.0sd MSport
2005 BMW 535d MSport

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Thu May 31, 2012 1:59 pm

After a 'deep & meaningful' with the service team I finally got a call from the techie working on the car. It turns out that a lot of what had been passed to me from the customer facing folks was complete rubbish.

The instruments do not lock out at the first sign of trouble, but the car's power management system will switch off unnecessary functions such as the clock and trip computer memories to save power.

The battery wasn't low, nor had the security system or GPS Safety Camera spotter caused an issue either. The security unit was faulty but has been replaced. There was an intermittent current drain of between 80-200mA, source unknown.

The issue appears to have been the instrument cluster PSU which was reset and now everything works fine. Whatever it was caused the instrument cluster to 'drop off' the data buses (as recorded by a number of modules) and refuse to power up. Power was getting to the unit though. The instrument cluster is one of the key data modules on the E70 and E71 - hence being over £1k to fix.

They've been trying to get it to fault again for over a week with no success. As the exact fault is unclear BMW GB won't spring for a new unit.

They are going to leave a copy of the fault log in the car for me so that in the event of a repeat occurrence there is a hard copy of the errors seen. The car logs 32 parameters from the last 40 drive cycles, but I don't have details of all of them. Suffice to say speed is one of them, others include temps, pressures, fuel system, rpm, gearbox operation, electrics etc etc.

Should get it back later today or tomorrow.......and I'll be able to drive again after next week (back to work on Weds after 5 months out). :yeah:

Rusty
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Rusty » Thu May 31, 2012 2:50 pm

Congrats on being able to drive again, it's a real bummer not being allowed to drive until you get the consultants ok.

Glad you have some kind of answer re fault, just typical they haven't fixed it. Next time maybe?

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk 2
3.0d Sport Exclusive E53 CB with black comfort, pano, folding dimming mirrors, 20"ers, comms, xenons, focal sub, Intravee II, GSM heater........and so on.
Runabout - E92 3 Series Coupe

pvr
Lifer
Lifer

Post by pvr » Thu May 31, 2012 3:11 pm

Work ... so we won't see X5Sport anymore online then :D

911 50th anniversary -

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Thu May 31, 2012 3:19 pm

[quote=""pvr""]Work ... so we won't see X5Sport anymore online then :D[/quote]

You're not that lucky! It's only 2 hours a day to start with... :P

pvr
Lifer
Lifer

Post by pvr » Thu May 31, 2012 3:28 pm

Are you a civil servant then? :poke: :rofl:

911 50th anniversary -

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Thu May 31, 2012 3:48 pm

That would be 30mins a day.. :fuelfire: :rofl: