Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Broken it!

Discuss the problems with your X6 (E71).
X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Broken it!

Post by X5Sport » Sat May 12, 2012 1:26 pm

Well here's a new one!

No instruments, nothing working on 'Check Control' no warning lights at all...  :razz:

The HUD is also just dashes, no speed readout or speed limit display.

Awaiting Mondial's presence to find out that the matter is, but basically the instrument binnacle is dead so no speed, rpm, fuel, econo (joke) gauge, indicator noise, nothing in front.

Can't set the clock on the idrive and none of the service data, car check data (apart from oil level) comes up.  Tried both keys but with no luck.  All the indicators, lights and other electronics seem to be working, but you can't tell from inside.

18 months old, less than 7,000 miles and it no workee!  I suspect it'll be off to the Dealer's on Monday morning.  Oh and HRH was driving - not that I'm blaming her..... :kissing: :oops:

Please can I have a new one?..  :wavesad:

UPDATE After 2 hours of testing and downloading info from the car, the BMW Rescue Tech said that the main instrument cluster has failed, and possibly some other bits but they won't know until the car gets recovered to a dealer on Monday.  I'm very glad it's under warranty!  The unit is just over £800+VAT plus fitting and coding.
Last edited by X5Sport on Mon Jun 04, 2012 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

graemeX5
Snr Member
Snr Member

Re: Broken it!

Post by graemeX5 » Sat May 12, 2012 8:41 pm

Sorry to hear def not good for a new car, but at least you are covered by the warranty
Now: E70 X5 in Blue, 3 Minis Cooper S R53, JCW R56 & Cooper S Roadster R59 :drive:

Prev: Abarth 595C & 500C, E53 X5 4.4i, E88 135i M Sport, Audi TT Mk1 V6, 3 Smarts, 8 Vauxhalls, 4 Fords, 2 Triumphs, 1 Mini & Bikes

Sanj
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Sanj » Sat May 12, 2012 9:26 pm

Kick her out for screwing with the car, then reject the repairs and demand a new one!

Or milk it....

Good luck buddy, sure it will be sorted shortly, PITA but at least like you say covered under warranty :w00t:
Scn Protect,Alarm Chirp,Ashtray del,Sub install,IV2,Screens,PS2 Media,Chrome rings,Schnitzer pedals,Reverse cam,Silver Grills,F/mirrors,Comp Spkrs,Heated S/W,20"168s,Splash scn,Arches,Remap,LED Tails,ACS Spoiler,'is' Bumper Trim,Rear heated seats,Rear blinds

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Sat May 12, 2012 9:30 pm

.....and a lot better than the £25k repair that a 645 needed after a gearbox failure at motorway speeds. I think he said it was a new engine and gearbox required! Now that's scary.. :o

dirtymonkey29
Snr Member
Snr Member

Broken it!

Post by dirtymonkey29 » Sat May 12, 2012 9:30 pm

Bummer... Hope it gets sorted fast

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Sat May 12, 2012 9:58 pm

I fully intend that it shall be..... :poke: :punish:

Oh, and you may be amused to know that the 'take the battery off for 10 mins' reset test is still the first choice.. :thumbsup:

535dboy
Lifer
Lifer

Post by 535dboy » Sun May 13, 2012 6:19 am

[quote=""X5Sport""]I fully intend that it shall be..... :poke: :punish:

Oh, and you may be amused to know that the 'take the battery off for 10 mins' reset test is still the first choice.. :thumbsup:[/quote]

Oh the old "ctrl, alt, delete" method !
Currently :
2012 Audi RS4 (B8)
2012 Porsche Boxster S (981)
2008 Lotus Exige S (a bit modified!)
2015 Nissan Leaf twin turbo with Nitros

Previously :
2008 BMW X5 3.0sd MSport
2005 BMW 535d MSport

pvr
Lifer
Lifer

Post by pvr » Sun May 13, 2012 8:34 am

Were your first words to Mrs X5Sport: "What did you do ?" :rofl:

Very annoying though, sort of shakes the trust in a car.
X5M F85,  Golf Clipper, Abarth 595 Competizioni, Jeep

911 50th anniversary -
Site & Forum Admin Team Member.

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Sun May 13, 2012 9:55 am

[quote=""pvr""]Were your first words to Mrs X5Sport: "What did you do ?" :rofl: [/quote]

Almost..... :rofl:

She said "I haven't got any lights!"

From the passenger seat I looked across and said "Actually you haven't got ANY instruments!"

She hadn't noticed that bit!! :?

I think that although it has shaken a bit of my confidence in the car....it didn't to much for that in the driver.... :poke: :fuelfire:
I may just spend the day producing a 'before and after start' checklist...... :paper: :punish: :slaphead: :violent1: :rofl:

ITBarbie

Broken it!

Post by ITBarbie » Mon May 14, 2012 6:52 am

Sorry to hear about that. I would be very hacked off for 18 months and that happening warranty or not. Still hope you get it sorted soon.
2004 Sapphire Black 3.0d SE
MODS
Intravee with KCA, Xennons, Folding Mirrors (enabled with Intravee), Sport Wheels 19's, DVD Headrests, updated SAT NAV, Voice Recognititon with TV in Motion enabled with Resler a

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Mon May 14, 2012 9:30 am

Thanks all. Not best pleased. Still it's just gone in for work....

Dealer wasn't aware they were about to get it! Mondial had as of 08:30 not passed anything over. At least with me telling the Dealer what the problem was there's a slightly smaller risk of confusion... :oops:

All I need now is an ISIC(?) system to programme the car...

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Tue May 15, 2012 12:34 pm

Just had a call from BMW - it seems that the battery is the problem and (according to them) when the volts get below a certain point then the car turns the instrument cluster off! Err yeah, right!

It starts perfectly. I'm not convinced.

535dboy
Lifer
Lifer

Post by 535dboy » Tue May 15, 2012 12:38 pm

[quote=""X5Sport""]Just had a call from BMW - it seems that the battery is the problem and (according to them) when the volts get below a certain point then the car turns the instrument cluster off! Err yeah, right!

It starts perfectly. I'm not convinced.[/quote]

There could be some truth in that

When I had all those problems it was some bits that stopped working before others yet it always seem to store enough to start it!
Currently :
2012 Audi RS4 (B8)
2012 Porsche Boxster S (981)
2008 Lotus Exige S (a bit modified!)
2015 Nissan Leaf twin turbo with Nitros

Previously :
2008 BMW X5 3.0sd MSport
2005 BMW 535d MSport

pvr
Lifer
Lifer

Post by pvr » Tue May 15, 2012 12:57 pm

Have you always had it on the CTEK?

I managed to kill a battery in 2 years on my first Z4 when I did not have a charger, never had a problem since I used the chargers. It is not actually hooked up even if I use the car semi regular.
X5M F85,  Golf Clipper, Abarth 595 Competizioni, Jeep

911 50th anniversary -
Site & Forum Admin Team Member.

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Tue May 15, 2012 1:17 pm

Nope, and to be honest it's run every couple of weeks anyway.

The BMW ES guy could find nothing wrong with the car other than 'unable to communicate with instrument cluster' when he checked everything and even said the battery was fine. It's been started and stopped a lot since that time on Saturday, and not driven anywhere. That will certainly kill off the battery.

I think it's an intermittent fault and they're stuck, BMW GB don't want to spring for the parts, the battery is now low so we'll blame that! Clutching at straws is the phrase that springs to mind!

I've also just been told the car has too much oil in it - which they put in - and they have also checked three times since because they do so every time the car has the wheels changed as part of the 'Safety Check'. He wanted to know if I had filled it.

I'm awaiting a call back and will be asking them some more questions. They have tried to tell me that a USB lead plugged into the glovebox, but with nothing on the other end when the car is switched off is showing as the largest battery drain. Not convinced about that as I thought those leads were just end to end wires and therefore open circuit unless BOTH ends are plugged in - but I'm just going to check one on my spare ones.

UPDATE - After further 'discussions' in a gentle, calm but insistent manner, they are now going to have another look and have more discussions with BMW GB. And they are hanging onto the car.....

There was a long silence when I asked why the iDrive and dipstick (not the one driving!) both thought the car was full but not overly so, and that they had never found a problem with the oil when the car was in previously. Hmmmmm.. :fuelfire: