Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Parking heater remote start- Enabling

How-To articles ONLY go here.
monkeyfinger

Post by monkeyfinger » Sun Sep 26, 2010 8:39 pm

Here's a re-cap of my original post from the old forum, showing the fitting of a single channel remote switch/relay which will allow the activation of the Webasto pre-heater remotely for a warm and cosy car on winter mornings (or in the summer if you like things hot...)

I think the pictures are self-explanatory, but feel free to add or comment accordingly...

The principle is that you need to supply 12v to Pin 1 on the Webasto multiplug - this needs to be live for as long as you want the heater to stay on (so ensure you buy a switch that latches i.e. one push for on and another for off). The software that's in the BMW system will detect low fuel level or battery voltage and shut the heater down before the levels fall dangerously low. I normally find 15-20mins is enough to warm the car and defrost the front screen before I start up. I've fitted a single LED indicator lamp, simply pushed into one of the top bonnet grills - this allows me to see that the system is active from inside the house. This is wired to the remote switch output, so only comes on when the switch is active. The permanent 12v feed that you need is best taken directly from the jump start point under the bonnet on the bulkhead just behind the heater. There is a suitable remote switch available from Maplins for around £30, but many also available from Ebay etc.

Have fun... :D

rconwa11

Re: Parking heater remote start- Enabling

Post by rconwa11 » Sun Sep 26, 2010 9:29 pm

excellent. i want one lol. knowing my luck every day would be a flat battery day. i drained the battery today just fitting my dvd player.

Sanj
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Sanj » Sun Sep 26, 2010 10:37 pm

Nice one mate - as an alternative, this is where my LED is mounted. Behind the mirror housing (inside the car):

Scn Protect,Alarm Chirp,Ashtray del,Sub install,IV2,Screens,PS2 Media,Chrome rings,Schnitzer pedals,Reverse cam,Silver Grills,F/mirrors,Comp Spkrs,Heated S/W,20"168s,Splash scn,Arches,Remap,LED Tails,ACS Spoiler,'is' Bumper Trim,Rear heated seats,Rear blinds

x555
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by x555 » Mon Sep 27, 2010 9:04 pm

[quote=""rconwa11""]excellent. i want one lol. knowing my luck every day would be a flat battery day. i drained the battery today just fitting my dvd player.[/quote]
Turn off the boot light when working in the back there fella and the interior lights aswell :thumbsup:
54 PLATE E53 3.0d X5 FACELIFT BLACK WITH BLACK

x555
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by x555 » Mon Sep 27, 2010 9:06 pm

Nice one Monkeyfinger :thumbsup: i shall be pressing my button in the mornings again soon now the weather is getting a little colder ;)

BL02WAS

Post by BL02WAS » Tue Sep 28, 2010 11:03 am

Mitch giv me a link to the remote kit that u purchased, and I mite pop round again to c how u have done this exactly!!! Cheers fella :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sanj
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Sanj » Tue Sep 28, 2010 11:32 am

[quote=""BL02WAS""]Mitch giv me a link to the remote kit that u purchased, and I mite pop round again to c how u have done this exactly!!! Cheers fella :)[/quote]

Screwed now aren't you Mitch! You gonna tell him! :rofl:
Scn Protect,Alarm Chirp,Ashtray del,Sub install,IV2,Screens,PS2 Media,Chrome rings,Schnitzer pedals,Reverse cam,Silver Grills,F/mirrors,Comp Spkrs,Heated S/W,20"168s,Splash scn,Arches,Remap,LED Tails,ACS Spoiler,'is' Bumper Trim,Rear heated seats,Rear blinds

BL02WAS

Post by BL02WAS » Tue Sep 28, 2010 1:13 pm

Well let that cat out of the bag then!!! Haa!! Right what is it??

Sanj
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Sanj » Tue Sep 28, 2010 2:29 pm

I gave him that remote! :lol:

And he asked me to post up for him as he's unable to get to the PC but you want the Purple and White cable that goes into the Radio Control Module (next to the battery).

BL02WAS

Post by BL02WAS » Tue Sep 28, 2010 2:46 pm

Right ok! Lol. So where do I get this kit from sanj?? And where to get thus purple cable also??

Sanj
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Sanj » Tue Sep 28, 2010 3:50 pm

I got one from Jig who did an eBay jobbie but since x555 helped me out I gave him mine.

In the end I went to my local Maplins and got one of theirs, dearer at £32.99 (I think) but I had the returns option (unlike Jig's HongKong option)!

You can get any of these but they seem to have gone up in price! I got the second one for £32.99 last year.

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=46950

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=46972

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=46974

But once you see what these do you can chance an eBay alternative. But make sure it's the RF type not infra-red.
Last edited by Sanj on Tue Sep 28, 2010 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

x555
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by x555 » Tue Sep 28, 2010 7:35 pm

[quote=""Sanj""][quote=""BL02WAS""]Mitch giv me a link to the remote kit that u purchased, and I mite pop round again to c how u have done this exactly!!! Cheers fella :)[/quote]

Screwed now aren't you Mitch! You gonna tell him! :rofl:[/quote]
Wrong thread you muppet :punish: :rofl: the purple cable was meanr for the roof monitor thread ...now who looks like a :wkr: :owned:

x555
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by x555 » Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:14 pm

[quote=""BL02WAS""]Mitch giv me a link to the remote kit that u purchased, and I mite pop round again to c how u have done this exactly!!! Cheers fella :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/quote]
Well hhmmm i got the err thingymajig from that place you know the one right and wiring was easy once i had figured it out all by myself :whistle: :exitright:

:rofl: As Sanj said mate he sorted this one for me but i can show you it no probs mate :thumbsup:

....note he gave me the cheapo nasty version (sorry Jig ;) ) and then and went and purchased the delux model for himself :roll: :poke:

Sanj
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Sanj » Tue Sep 28, 2010 9:40 pm

[quote=""x555""]Wrong thread you muppet :punish: :rofl: the purple cable was meanr for the roof monitor thread ...now who looks like a :wkr: :owned:[/quote]

What you talking about!!!! :whistle:

My thread edited to make this chump look like a chump! :rofl: Haha!!!!

x555
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by x555 » Tue Sep 28, 2010 11:41 pm

Who you calling a chump TOWEL BOY .............no not you Jon!! :rofl: :rofl: