Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Parking heater remote start- Enabling

How-To articles ONLY go here.
ChewingBacca

Re: Parking heater remote start- Enabling

Post by ChewingBacca » Sat Oct 09, 2010 3:37 pm

Thanks for re posting this.

Please consider me a total electronic novice/idiot.

I bought a latching remote switch from Maplin. The instructions supplied are minimal but I found some info on a different model here..

I managed to get the switch supplied and latching with use of a test meter but I am a little stumped with the output to the Webasto unit.

Could someone kindly review the diagram to see if I am correct and recommend any changes needed before I finish the installation.

The dashed line part is the output I am considering.

Thanks.

Edit: Figured it out. This is one correct option. More detail added.

Last edited by ChewingBacca on Sun Oct 10, 2010 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sanj
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Sanj » Sat Oct 09, 2010 8:43 pm

I think you're on the mark here but I need to check an old pic of mine. Let me try to dig that out for you.

Give it a try though, as long as you get power to the Webasto feed when you press the button, should be fine.

Have you thought about the LED?
Scn Protect,Alarm Chirp,Ashtray del,Sub install,IV2,Screens,PS2 Media,Chrome rings,Schnitzer pedals,Reverse cam,Silver Grills,F/mirrors,Comp Spkrs,Heated S/W,20"168s,Splash scn,Arches,Remap,LED Tails,ACS Spoiler,'is' Bumper Trim,Rear heated seats,Rear blinds

ChewingBacca

Post by ChewingBacca » Sat Oct 09, 2010 9:12 pm

Thanks for the reply Sanj.

I ordered a LED from eBay, looks similar to the one in the OP for under £2 delivered. Also a splash proof fuse holder.

I guess this will tap into the +ve feed from the relay to the Webasto and ground to the body for the LED.

Not sure where I am going to mount this. I like your idea behind the mirror, less likely to be obscured by snow etc. How difficult is it? I don't want to turn this into an epic.

I am also thinking of a scotch connector into the green white cable to the multi plug on the Webasto but I will look to see if I can avoid this eyesore.

I was just working things through today, the installation will be next weekend.

Sanj
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Sanj » Sat Oct 09, 2010 11:12 pm

The connections to the LED are right, positive on the same connection as the Webasto and earth on the car. It CAN cause the Webasto not to work correctly - happened to me. So keep an eye out for that, ended up replacing the LED!

As for location, the surround on the rear of the mirror comes off easy, splits in two, then across the headlining, no need to remove, just push it under (getting my hands dirty here Pewters!!!) and then down the drivers door seal and into the footwell - there is a gromet that comes away so easy to allow access into the engine bay.

Mission but easily accomplishable - I can take pics as soon as I get a min if you need. :)

But did feel it was THE best place for the LED indication. They put the alarm indicator there afterall!
Scn Protect,Alarm Chirp,Ashtray del,Sub install,IV2,Screens,PS2 Media,Chrome rings,Schnitzer pedals,Reverse cam,Silver Grills,F/mirrors,Comp Spkrs,Heated S/W,20"168s,Splash scn,Arches,Remap,LED Tails,ACS Spoiler,'is' Bumper Trim,Rear heated seats,Rear blinds

ChewingBacca

Post by ChewingBacca » Sun Oct 10, 2010 7:38 pm

I looked at the internal trim. There seems to be plenty of room to route the cable for the LED. I looked briefly on the passenger side for an access point through the bulkhead but there is nothing apparent from the engine side.

I'll take a look on the drivers side during the week. Pix would be great. :thumbsup:

Just one question, if you forget to deactivate the switch by the remote what happens? Since the output from the relay is still present would the Webasto kick in again once the temperature drops?

Sanj
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Sanj » Sun Oct 10, 2010 7:52 pm

Go drivers side, not passenger side.

And if you leave the bugger on it will KEEP going until temp, or fuel run out. So have to remember!

And not forgotten about that pic but it will be tomorrow.

ChewingBacca

Post by ChewingBacca » Sat Oct 16, 2010 5:42 pm

Installed the switch today.

Saw the grommets in the bulk head, even a spare but I could not figure how to get at them from the cabin side Sanj . :poke:

The Webasto fired up then shut down after a couple of minutes. I am hoping this was because the engine was hot.

The LED did not illuminate so I need to investigate this.

I'll try a cold start tomorrow, check my wiring and put a test on the LED circuit.

Here's a bit of a write up.

Image Image Image

Sanj
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Sanj » Sat Oct 16, 2010 8:15 pm

[quote=""ChewingBacca""]Saw the grommets in the bulk head, even a spare but I could not figure how to get at them from the cabin side Sanj.[/quote]

Glad you got your hands dirty fella! The gromet on the drivers side can be got at by taking the footwell light panel out. Much easier that way...

Oh and dumb down your IT skills with the 'How To'! That looks far too complicated! Making us look bad!!! :rofl:

ChewingBacca

Post by ChewingBacca » Sat Oct 16, 2010 8:51 pm

LOL I do a bit of presentation like this in my job. But the fit itself is real easy, as I said earlier my skills and knowledge are limited.

Will take a look in the foot well tomorrow if the weather holds thanks for the tip.

About the start up. When wiring to Pin 1, do the three conditions still have to be met? - Fuel level, battery state and 5°C.

Would your Webasto start and continue to warm the car on a day like today?
Last edited by ChewingBacca on Sat Oct 16, 2010 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

x555
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by x555 » Sat Oct 16, 2010 8:52 pm

[quote=""Sanj""][quote=""ChewingBacca""]Saw the grommets in the bulk head, even a spare but I could not figure how to get at them from the cabin side Sanj.[/quote]

Glad you got your hands dirty fella! The gromet on the drivers side can be got at by taking the footwell light panel out. Much easier that way...

Oh and dumb down your IT skills with the 'How To'! That looks far too complicated! Making us look bad!!! :rofl:[/quote]

That was the most awkward part of the install for me :roll: fiddling about and fishing that poxy wire through that hole and then feeding it up and around behind the trims to the mirror..... ggrrrrr give me a big ass hammer and spanner any day :rofl:
54 PLATE E53 3.0d X5 FACELIFT BLACK WITH BLACK

Sanj
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Sanj » Sat Oct 16, 2010 9:06 pm

[quote=""ChewingBacca""]About the start up. When wiring to Pin 1, do the three conditions still have to be met? - Fuel level, battery state and -5°C.[/quote]

No - the temp bit doesn't matter - with Pin 1 being given that permanent power, that bugger will just go. Only needs the juice to keep going.

The LED could be at fault here...

[quote=""x555""]That was the most awkward part of the install for me :roll: fiddling about and fishing that poxy wire through that hole and then feeding it up and around behind the trims to the mirror..... ggrrrrr give me a big ass hammer and spanner any day :rofl:[/quote]

Fat-handed twat! :rofl:

ChewingBacca

Post by ChewingBacca » Sun Oct 17, 2010 11:43 am

Tried again this morning. Cold engine, 6°C outside.

Removed the LED from the circuit to eliminate that.

Put the test meter to pin 1.

Same thing, Webasto kicks in then shuts down after a couple of minutes. Measured a constant 11.6v to pin 1.

Had ¼ tank of gas at this point. Been and filled up and will try again later when the engine has cooled down.

Sanj
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Sanj » Sun Oct 17, 2010 12:29 pm

I had the same issue - it was the battery. Even though the car started fine, the cells were poor after 5 years...

How old is your battery?

ChewingBacca

Post by ChewingBacca » Sun Oct 17, 2010 12:52 pm

No idea Sanj The car is '04. I will have to check. I too am thinking battery.

Edit: White, no date but it does have a US number. Could be original fit?

Tried from within the car. I get one flash of a "X" shaped red light in the OBC when the Webasto starts, then shuts down as usual.

Sanj
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Sanj » Sun Oct 17, 2010 2:00 pm

If you get to the boot you'll be able to see if it's BMW original.

I reckon battery...