Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Parking heater remote start- Enabling

How-To articles ONLY go here.
ChewingBacca

Re: Parking heater remote start- Enabling

Post by ChewingBacca » Sun Oct 17, 2010 3:33 pm

Mmm. I put jump leads on from my wife's TT thinking this would give me the power needed. Still the same.

However if I run the car for a while, shut down then try the remote I get about ten flashes of the "X" fan shaped light on the OBC where before I got one flash.

Gotta be battery, surely? In the boot it looks like BMW OEM original.

I have read some mares about changing the battery on other boards. Locking not working, warning lights coming on, display not working etc..

Is this common? Any precautions to take?

monkeyfinger

Post by monkeyfinger » Sun Oct 17, 2010 6:42 pm

My experience is that battery must be in good condition or at least well charged - the Webasto is power hungry and needs 12v min. As said earlier, when operating off pin 1 the air temp has no effect on running. I had the same issue a couple of weeks ago when I tried firing up in preparation for the winter- once I had a battery charger connected to the under bonnet terminals, the webasto fired up straight away

ChewingBacca

Post by ChewingBacca » Mon Oct 18, 2010 7:08 pm

Cheers monkeyfinger. Looking into a new battery. I had some beeping from the car last week. Done a bit of research and this appears to be a low battery warning.

mcc05

Post by mcc05 » Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:16 am

I've re-coded my x5 to allow timed parking heater, but like the remote option. I was thinking of this unit from Maplin http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=265472, which has a timer function built in so I can set it the same as if it is started from the internal timer i.e 30min run. Also with the option on here do you have to switch the heater off before you start the engine? otherwise would it not interfere with its normal operation? If so I was thinking of taking a relay that when key is in ignition 2 position cuts power to the remore unit.
Any thoughts?
X5 3.0D Custom black carbon fibre edition

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:28 am

I take it the OEM option - detaile from RealOEM is too expensive then for most people to consider?

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do ... g=64&fg=65

Out of interest is it a straightforward fit, or a PITA job? No idea where the control box fits.
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

ChewingBacca

Post by ChewingBacca » Wed Nov 03, 2010 2:21 pm

mmc05. Before you commit cash to this try a 12v supply to the green/white cable that connects to pin 1. A sewing needle slipped down the side of the wire into the connector will do it. Test that the heater will start and continue to run.

New battery fitted here and still no heat. :(

X5sport. The OEM fits in the boot close to the battery.

x555
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by x555 » Wed Nov 03, 2010 8:54 pm

[quote=""X5Sport""]I take it the OEM option - detaile from RealOEM is too expensive then for most people to consider?

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do ... g=64&fg=65

Out of interest is it a straightforward fit, or a PITA job? No idea where the control box fits.[/quote]

OEM = Just shy of £600 :thumbsdown:
Modded version = around £30_£40 :thumbsup:

Caachhinnggg!!!!
54 PLATE E53 3.0d X5 FACELIFT BLACK WITH BLACK

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Thu Nov 04, 2010 1:23 pm

£600!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Yike!! How on earth do they justify that? No don't tell me, coz it's a BMW and they can!!

I think I'm likely to go down the Maplin route too then. Assuming you can't just buy the bits somewhere and plug em in - no plug and play would be waaayyy too easy!!

SWMBO takes over my E53 next week as my new E71 arrives on Thursday PM (and yes, pics will follow if the weather's nice). She may want this mod added to keep her tootsies warm :fuelfire:

BL02WAS

Post by BL02WAS » Fri Nov 05, 2010 3:37 pm

mcc05, ive just purchased that remote timer latched kit you posted up!! am going to give this a go. with regards to inline fusing, mitch what rate fuse did you go with?? and anyone got a link to the type of connectors used for wiring into pin 1 of the webasto?? picture ideally? and also what gauge wire was used for the install?? answers appreciated

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

x555
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by x555 » Fri Nov 05, 2010 6:19 pm

No fuse, crimp conectors and wire was a couple of mm thick :thumbsup:
54 PLATE E53 3.0d X5 FACELIFT BLACK WITH BLACK

monkeyfinger

Post by monkeyfinger » Sat Nov 06, 2010 2:30 pm

Small gauge wire is all you need - this system provides a signal to the Webasto and very little current is drawn. I would put a 5amp online fuse somewhere just in case there is a failure or short somewhere in the circuits

BL02WAS

Post by BL02WAS » Sat Nov 06, 2010 3:06 pm

yep, just wanted yo chevk it was a switching signsl tobring in the more heavy duty wiring of the feed to the webasto, ordered the led last night, lol, gone for neon blue, haa!! ;) going to mount that in the grill for bonnet just to make install easier, as for my two channel remote switcher, wondering what else i can do!!!!! hmmmmmmm........

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Sun Nov 07, 2010 12:08 pm

OK, just humour an old man.............as expected SWMBO thinkls this is a good idea - which means - go and do it.................. :(

Needle into Pin 1 on the Webasto Thermal Top Z unit brings the system on with no issues. Seems to run perfectly happily. That's the easy bit.

At what point should the cabin fan start up? Are there other requirements to be met before it does so - such as may be needing some additional programming, or the Outside Air Temp & Cabin Temp being below a certain point, or......?

The OAT and Cabin T were above +5C (even if the wind chill wasn't Brrrrrr) so I didn't hear any fans start. I pulled the power off the Webasto after about 5 mins and it shut itself down in the normal way.

Did I not wait long enough, or did I miss something?

Rick

monkeyfinger

Post by monkeyfinger » Sun Nov 07, 2010 6:38 pm

Wait longer! The only conditions for everything to work are sufficient battery voltage and diesel in the tank. It will shut down again if any of these drop below pre-set levels. My battery isn't the best and often it will only run for 5 mins before going into shutdown - but it ensures you can still start the car.

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Sun Nov 07, 2010 6:42 pm

Thank you - I'll go and have a cuppa next time..........

R