Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Parking heater remote start- Enabling

How-To articles ONLY go here.
X5 ALN

Re: Parking heater remote start- Enabling

Post by X5 ALN » Thu Dec 20, 2012 7:30 pm

[quote="jaynana"]

outside temp > 5c; webo started with telestart; get into car and start a short journey; stop the car whilst still within the telestart timer (ie timer still on).
outcome: moment the car starts the webo stops (normal fan operation starts, webo fuel pump could be heard to go quiet so i knew webo stopped). moment car stopped, webo started again (normal fan operation stopped, webo start-up sequence was heard again)

[/quote]

Cool, just checking there was no possibility of a lockout due to confusing it - didn't know how much control the telestart module had

LincsX5

Post by LincsX5 » Mon Dec 31, 2012 8:16 am

[quote="jaynana"]

telestart module has no knowledge to kill +12v when u start the car, but the webo is designed to monitor engine on/off and kill webo if engine starts.

i have done these scenarios:
outside temp > 5c; webo started with telestart; get into car and start a short journey; stop the car whilst still within the telestart timer (ie timer still on).
outcome: moment the car starts the webo stops (normal fan operation starts, webo fuel pump could be heard to go quiet so i knew webo stopped). moment car stopped, webo started again (normal fan operation stopped, webo start-up sequence was heard again)

outside temp > 5c; webo started with telestart; get into car and go on a longer journey (ie, telestart timer stops +12v whilst on journey)
outcome: same as above; but webo didn't start again when the car stopped.

so basically 'engine on' is a condition that the webo checks when on telestar/+12v method and shuts down.

i haven't tried when outside temp < 5c; i presume the webo will run while the engine runs.
[/quote]

I successfully fitted the same Maplin remote as Jaynana yesterday. I set the latch for 30 min and got the same results for the above scenarios. I don't have Aux Heat enabled but after 20 min run time I got in and could feel warmth in the cabin and had instant heat on engine start.

I had a far less sophisticated Kenlowe pre-heater on an old Range Rover in the 90's and loved that.

Now I have the Kenlowe on remote, heated steering wheel mod and winter tyres on my wife's 318 we will have the mildest winter on record  ::)
2008 E70 3.0D SE Dynamic kit
2006 SAAB 9-3 Aero
2004 E53 3.0D Sport. Heated steering wheel, Remote Aux heat, Arches, Skid plate. SOLD
2002 E46 318Ti SOLD
1972 Triumph Spitfire

jimes256

Post by jimes256 » Mon Dec 31, 2012 1:06 pm

the remote heater is great but heated wheel would be even better! Mine is quite cold on a frosty morning!

Sanj
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Sanj » Mon Dec 31, 2012 1:08 pm

[quote="jimes256"]
the remote heater is great but heated wheel would be even better!
[/quote]

That's probably my favourite mod. Did this a while back - if you can get hold of the wheel the wiring is in place on the facelift E53's.
Scn Protect,Alarm Chirp,Ashtray del,Sub install,IV2,Screens,PS2 Media,Chrome rings,Schnitzer pedals,Reverse cam,Silver Grills,F/mirrors,Comp Spkrs,Heated S/W,20"168s,Splash scn,Arches,Remap,LED Tails,ACS Spoiler,'is' Bumper Trim,Rear heated seats,Rear blinds

neilt

Post by neilt » Wed Jan 02, 2013 5:02 pm

Hi All,

I'm new to this forum, although have been ative on other BMW forums for a long time.

Last year I replaced my E91 320d with an E53 3.0d. My dad bought it new and offered it to me for a very good price when he got his new X5 40d.

I noticed this winter that the Aux heater wasnt working either on its own, or when the Aux Heating timer was set (no tell tail smooke from under passenger door).

Having just had a new thermostat fitted, and checking the bleeding procedure which includes using the electric water pump to help fill the system... mine wasnt working, so I assume this is at least one of the issues, but I wonder if the glow plug is also at fault, seems to can buy them separately now??

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-3-5-7-X5- ... 1e731e5683

I guess I have a bit more investigation to do (PS, it has a new battery after a lazy starter motor killed the old one).

Cheers
Last edited by neilt on Wed Jan 02, 2013 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bargain Bucket

Post by Bargain Bucket » Wed Jan 02, 2013 6:21 pm

Bit of a threadjack but where did you get a new starter motor from? Mine is also lazy on cold mornings (facelift 3.0d) and I want to make sure I replace the dodgy version with the updated version.
BMW X5 3.0d M-Sport facelift (E53).

neilt

Post by neilt » Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:43 pm

I got mine from EuroCar Parts. It was a Bosch unit, I paid £180 exchange (Includes account discount).

Bargain Bucket

Post by Bargain Bucket » Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:01 am

Okey dokey. Many thanks.
BMW X5 3.0d M-Sport facelift (E53).

jaynana
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by jaynana » Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:17 pm

[quote="neilt"]
Hi All,

I'm new to this forum, although have been ative on other BMW forums for a long time.

Last year I replaced my E91 320d with an E53 3.0d. My dad bought it new and offered it to me for a very good price when he got his new X5 40d.

I noticed this winter that the Aux heater wasnt working either on its own, or when the Aux Heating timer was set (no tell tail smooke from under passenger door).

Having just had a new thermostat fitted, and checking the bleeding procedure which includes using the electric water pump to help fill the system... mine wasnt working, so I assume this is at least one of the issues, but I wonder if the glow plug is also at fault, seems to can buy them separately now??

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-3-5-7-X5- ... 1e731e5683

I guess I have a bit more investigation to do (PS, it has a new battery after a lazy starter motor killed the old one).

Cheers
[/quote]

presume your'e looking for a webo glow-plug (sorry havenn't read the whole thread)? if so what you have sent is a link to the the wrong glowplug. that's the engine's glow plug.

try post 97 in this thread. the auction seems to have ended so you'll have to look for something similar. if none can be found i have posted a link to a german dude who can sell you one for around £90 (from memory) somewhere around the start of the same thread.

if u still can't find it i'll go lookin for it myself and help u..

cheers

j
Current: BMW 640i Convertible (320PS)
             Audi A7 Sportback 3.0 T FSI quattro (300 PS) SE STronic  8)
Previous: BMW X5 E53 Facelift 3.0d

robs530d

Post by robs530d » Thu Jan 03, 2013 4:58 pm

Hi everyone!

Firstly can I congratulate everyone on such a fantastic forum, this thread in particular is by far the best and is the most informative on getting the Webasto Park Heater working!
Can anyone help with my issue.... I have a 530d 2001 with the thermotop c with the additional water pump and also a genuine telestart t70 remote system that all came with the car.
The system runs great starts fine off the telestart, heats the coolant fine, on an half hour run it will almost get the needle up to the 1/3 mark on the water temp gauge.
However I have never had the interior fans running to blow air into the cabin..... They just simply do not start to blow at all..... I constantly have an error code when using Inpa in the IHKA module which I've included below... I'm presuming that this has something to do with it......
Really hoping some of you guys that have had a bit more experience with this than me can help me out......

Massive thanks in advance!

RobImage
Last edited by robs530d on Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jimes256

Post by jimes256 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:17 pm

maybe try the webasto software? as a long shot theres prob a motor/flap in vent system gone short circuit if all else seems to be working with the heater.......

is there a list for the fault code?

robs530d

Post by robs530d » Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:21 pm

Hi Jimes256,

Thanks for your reply!
Hmmm..... I've not tried the webasto software on the car, I'm tending to think it's more car related than on the heater unit side of things.... The webasto unit has no faults at all when looked at through Inpa and functions fine when you run the live test..... This code is stored in the Climate control unit on Inpa.... As soon as you clear it it re-appears upon the next ignition cycle....

jimes256

Post by jimes256 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:23 pm

is there an inpa error code source forum somewhere? with vagcom you can post the code on the user group and someone always knows the answer!

have you actually sat in car when its supposed to be blowing to see what happens?

robs530d

Post by robs530d » Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:36 pm

Thanks again for the reply!
Yes I've sat in the car whilst its running and nothing happens.... nothing at all with regards to the fans starting up etc.....
Just been out & cleared the code from the memory & did a 'fuse pull' on the Webasto (Fuse47 in the boot) with the code not present & interestingly enough the code reappears in the memory even without the fuse being in place.... which doesn't sound quite right to me....
I'm thinking something is seriously amiss somewhere....
I've just downloaded all of my IHKA, IKE module's to see if it's a coding error etc so I'm going to start ploughing through them to see if I can find any clues.....

Thanks again for your help, I'm very grateful of any assistance!

jimes256

Post by jimes256 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:19 pm

Just a thought but does the fan work at all speeds normally?