Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Testing and Diagnosing the E53 Webasto Thermo Top C/Z

How-To articles ONLY go here.
jaynana
Snr Member
Snr Member

Re: Testing and Diagnosing the E53 Webasto Thermo Top C/Z

Post by jaynana » Sun Sep 09, 2012 5:11 pm

maplins - must try sometime.. thanks. and as for snow - windscreen will be covered as well and in fact the first thing to get frosted?  :P

mike - was not aware of the report back function not working on the oem kit, but i went down this path cos the oem remote kit was expensive. said that, there's an offer for one in the buy and sell section right now.
Current: BMW 640i Convertible (320PS)
             Audi A7 Sportback 3.0 T FSI quattro (300 PS) SE STronic  8)
Previous: BMW X5 E53 Facelift 3.0d

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Sun Sep 09, 2012 5:52 pm

[quote="jaynana"]
maplins - must try sometime.. thanks. and as for snow - windscreen will be covered as well and in fact the first thing to get frosted?  :P.
[/quote]
Along with the air intake grilles...... :whistle:

Heated LED anyone?..... :))

(just kidding)

R
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

mikem

Post by mikem » Sun Sep 09, 2012 8:46 pm

[quote="jaynana"]

mike - was not aware of the report back function not working on the oem kit, but i went down this path cos the oem remote kit was expensive. said that, there's an offer for one in the buy and sell section right now.
[/quote]

Car systems in Poland sell them for ~£140 delivered brand new with the BMW logo on the fobs (T91 kit), going to order one this week but I`m not sure if the report back function will work (the original T70 used by BMW didn`t have the report back feature).

I wasn`t sure if you guys were wiring them in the engine bay with the LED visible because of this.

**EDIT**

Awesome write up  8)
Last edited by mikem on Sun Sep 09, 2012 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jaynana
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by jaynana » Mon Sep 10, 2012 7:09 pm

bmw service manual for the webo suggests T80 for the £53 and T70 for the E39. So possible that T70 had an incompatibility. T90 may be the newer cousin of both or one of those.

it does not  however talk about the report back feature... although i can sort of recall that from some other read.. can't remember.

in any case i think i may have missed a trick. there should be an easy way to connect the remote in the boot; which should avoid the current worries about water, ingress, cold, etc.

investigations for the next weekend  ;)

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:44 pm

The OEM unit just fits straight into a spare module slot down by the battery if memory serves it's by the trailer module.  All the wiring is already there and the car just needs coding to 'enable' the functionality.

R
Last edited by X5Sport on Tue Sep 11, 2012 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

Denis O

Post by Denis O » Tue Sep 11, 2012 12:06 am

[quote="mikem"]
[quote="jaynana"]

[/quote]

Car systems in Poland sell them for ~£140 delivered brand new with the BMW logo on the fobs (T91 kit), going to order one this week but I`m not sure if the report back function will work (the original T70 used by BMW didn`t have the report back feature).

I wasn`t sure if you guys were wiring them in the engine bay with the LED visible because of this.

**EDIT**

Awesome write up  8)
[/quote]

Do you have a link Mike. Need to get one of these sorted and like the idea of a PNP solution.
06 Range Rover Vogue SE 4.2 SC
05 Mercedes SL350

mikem

Post by mikem » Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:31 pm

Here`s a link to the kit with a BMW logo remote. Theres a few slightly cheaper kits on Ebay but with VW or Skoda badged remotes (I guess you could always replace the badge for a few quid).

http://www.carsystems.pl/bmw-webasto-te ... id182.html

jaynana
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by jaynana » Sat Sep 15, 2012 10:33 pm

Sorted! figured the best way to do the remote. no more issues with washing the engine bay, water, ingress, cold etc.

here's where the remote fits:
this is next to the battery.  The connector has 3 of the 6 pins in use:
pin 1: +12v power
pin 3: remote to webo (same as pin 1 on webo's 6 pin connector)
pin 6: ground

notice my pin 1 to 3 connection in the photo? that's a test, should wake the webo up (never test webo with power for less than 3min, details in my original post in this thread)

this connector gets power from fuse 86:

mine already had a 5amp fuse in it. i'm not sure if this is used by anything else but it definitely disconnects this connector.

so fixing an oem remote or any other remote for that matter to enable remote start of the webo is so easy. Just 3 wires to connect - live, remote/signal and ground.

i got a bit smarter though, wired it to the side of the car, next to the near side window of the boot. this i thought should give the RF unit better reception:

mikem

Post by mikem » Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:55 am

Good stuff, my kit is sitting at UPS Glasgow, so hopefully fit it at the weekend. Did you still need to use an inline fuse ?

mikem

Post by mikem » Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:56 am

Is that an inline fuse in the pic ?
Last edited by mikem on Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

jaynana
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by jaynana » Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:01 am

no need of an additional in-line fuse, oem fuse 86 is in-line.

the fuse in the pic on a thick cable is for a different purpose - goes to my power amp.. along with the jacks right under it.

Denis O

Post by Denis O » Mon Sep 17, 2012 12:22 pm

OK, this is doin' my 'ed in.

Car systems tell me that the installation in an X5 is the same as the e39 instructions on their site but the Webasto is in a different position. There instructions entail hacking into the BMW wiring loom and then having to get the car coded by BMW.

Tubs, who is "selling" a 2nd hand T91 in the classified is suggesting that the T91 just plugs into the cars wiring harness, somewhere near the battery, pull a fuse, put the fuse back in and all is well with the world.

Can someone confirm what is correct. Perhaps Mike can now he's got his kit coming soon.
06 Range Rover Vogue SE 4.2 SC
05 Mercedes SL350

jaynana
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by jaynana » Mon Sep 17, 2012 1:21 pm

[quote="Denis O"]
OK, this is doin' my 'ed in.

Car systems tell me that the installation in an X5 is the same as the e39 instructions on their site but the Webasto is in a different position. There instructions entail hacking into the BMW wiring loom and then having to get the car coded by BMW.

Tubs, who is "selling" a 2nd hand T91 in the classified is suggesting that the T91 just plugs into the cars wiring harness, somewhere near the battery, pull a fuse, put the fuse back in and all is well with the world.

Can someone confirm what is correct. Perhaps Mike can now he's got his kit coming soon.
[/quote]

denis, my bets are with Tubs' story, having done it myself, having said that its a mix of both. Here's how i'd relate to the stuff u've quoted:

T91 should  plug straight in. i've hooked up a non-oem in the pictures, just 3 wires. the oem T91 should  fit right into that socket.  'hack into the wiring loom' is all nonsense (unless plugging in an oem part into a spare socket in the wiring loom can be considered as 'hacking' that is..). to be fair though the spare socket is under the spare wheel, under the air compressor, under a plastic cover as well, next to the battery.

'pull a fuse:' fuse 86. remove the fuse, fix the unit, put the fuse back in.

'car coded by BMW': u need to enable the aux heater option with a scanner 1.4.0 or likewise. alternatively BMW guys can do it for you i guess.

mikem

Post by mikem » Mon Sep 17, 2012 1:54 pm

Denis, I don't think car systems are too familiar with BMW as they're mainly VAG suppliers. I had several emails from them 'tho, if you use the one I linked above the loom has 4 wires, live, earth and 2 signal wires (1 is analogue. The other Digital for VAG W-bus) so all you need to do is connect 3 of the wires on the supplied loom (live, earth and analogue) to the BMW plug in the boot.

Mine should be here today or tomorrow, so I'll confirm when fitted.
It only needs coding if you want to be able to use the timer functions for it from the OBC but this is easily done in minutes with scanner 1.4.0

I'm not sure he plug on the T91 is the same as the OEM plug in the boot (I think this is what car systems are trying to explain) hence if it's not you'll need to cut the plug off and join the wires.
Last edited by mikem on Mon Sep 17, 2012 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

malc1950

Post by malc1950 » Mon Sep 17, 2012 3:15 pm

Hi i fitted a telestart T91 to my X 12mths ago and have never had it working off the remote , when i try it i have to stand right next to the car i mean no more that 2ft away from the Wabasto or the aerial, the heater will start and run for around 30sec but wont fire up , but the Wabasto works ok when i turn it on via the OBC it will run for 30min and gets nice and warm inside the car, i have checked the battery in the remote its ok,  help needed please  :wall:
2004 3.0d Sport Facelift Remaped, Schnitzer styling body kit, Black leather
Neon lights, Elec fold in mirr, 6Cd changer,DSP, Sat nav, Bluetooth, Wood pack
Speed camera warning, Heated front seats, Wabasto heater, Auto wipers lights,  Rear view camera.