Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Testing and Diagnosing the E53 Webasto Thermo Top C/Z

How-To articles ONLY go here.
X5 ALN

Re: Testing and Diagnosing the E53 Webasto Thermo Top C/Z

Post by X5 ALN » Fri Nov 02, 2012 2:12 pm

[quote="wilkoturbo"]
[quote="wilkoturbo"]
Right I have wired power to pin 1 via a remote it powers up for like a minuite then shuts off , I've read the fault codes what next <!-- s:( -->:(<!-- s:( --> ImageImageImageImage
[/quote]
[/quote]

Did you happen to enable the Nav screen for Auxiliary Heating / Ventilation? instead of the original Auxiliary Ventilation setting

I beleive if you did - the Nav screen is communicating with the IHKA and other components before starting the webasto.  You will probably find the IHKA is not the one suitable for SA536 option, and you will not have the valve that is mentioned in your fault code.  As well as this, other parts of the system are missing as you do not have the factory fitted Parking Heater.

This is the point I am at, although I am also showing a glow plug short circuit to ground fault. 

I am waiting to recode the Nav screen back to its original setting, then take it from there.
Last edited by X5 ALN on Fri Nov 02, 2012 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jevansio

Post by jevansio » Sat Nov 03, 2012 5:46 pm

I've managed to try pin 1 again and the webo ain't warming. 

Just today I received my Scanner 1.4 OBD/USB unit, but the cd it came with was blank.  I downloaded a version from PASoft?? and I can connect to the car, see/clear error codes.  I have a glow plug/flame sensor error on the aux heating unit, so I'm prolly going to take the unit off for a clean before deciding on the next course of action.

Oh I'd assumed this Scanner 1.4 would allow me to enable the Aux Heating on the Sat Nav screen, is this correct? (I know I don't need to do this but I thought the Scanner 1.4 allowed me to change all sorts of settings on the cars various systems - not just reading/clearing error codes)

ta

Jay

X5 ALN

Post by X5 ALN » Sat Nov 03, 2012 7:32 pm

DO NOT ENABLE THE OBC for Aux heat!!!!

Read the BMW service manual for the webasto that J sent you.  If you enable the OBC, it will look for other components that are associated with the SA536 parking Heater option. Ie the water changeover valve and the IHKA climate control unit. It will then report those parts are missing, and disable the webasto.

All you need to do is power pin 1. If the webasto is working, it will start.  if it doesnt, you need to find out why, and fix it.

I enabled my OBC before having the info I just mentioned.

I now have an IHkA fault relating to a missing changeover valve - same as shown in post 60 above
Last edited by X5 ALN on Sat Nov 03, 2012 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jevansio

Post by jevansio » Sun Nov 04, 2012 8:02 am

Sweet many thanks Alan, I'll avoid that then :)

mikem

Post by mikem » Sun Nov 04, 2012 11:53 am

Mines worked perfectly for a year now ??

jaynana
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by jaynana » Sun Nov 04, 2012 12:02 pm

[quote="mikem"]
Mines worked perfectly for a year now ??
[/quote]

yeah to add to the confusion, even i had this enabled on teh obc until i read that part in the document. had no issues either  :P
Current: BMW 640i Convertible (320PS)
             Audi A7 Sportback 3.0 T FSI quattro (300 PS) SE STronic  8)
Previous: BMW X5 E53 Facelift 3.0d

jevansio

Post by jevansio » Sun Nov 04, 2012 12:22 pm

PS, when the Scanner 1.4 shows a glow plug fault on the aux heater unit, does that mean the code is coming from the webo PCB itself, or is it a module within the BMW computer that has detected the heater isn't working and is logging the fault?

X5 ALN

Post by X5 ALN » Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:12 am

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.fr/viewitem? ... 0870514435

I think I've found the glow plug sold separately.

Worth a chance?

jevansio

Post by jevansio » Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:21 am

Damn good find Alan, I'm taking a punt, I'm certain that serial no (901..13A) is one I found on an old Webasto PDF indicating the plug was available seperatley too (but when you search for it on google all the top matches come back with things fro primer numbers etc)

I just bought one, I needed a gasket kit anyways if I were to clean the thing out so this should ensure I only need to do the swap once :)
Last edited by jevansio on Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

X5 ALN

Post by X5 ALN » Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:34 am

Here's how I found it......but

http://www.airconcoltd.com/partman/Ther ... 70G[1].pdf

Page 5, part no 3 - note 2 (which should suit me, but maybe not others)

[2] Für Benzin und Diesel ab 2004 / For petrol and Diesel as of 2004 / Pour Benzine et Diesel dès 2004 / Per Benzina e Diesel dal 2004 / För Bensin och Diesel av 2004

X5 ALN

Post by X5 ALN » Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:37 am

[quote="jevansio"]
Damn good find Alan, I'm taking a punt, I'm certain that serial no (901..13A) is one I found on an old Webasto PDF indicating the plug was available seperatley too (but when you search for it on google all the top matches come back with things fro primer numbers etc)

I just bought one, I needed a gasket kit anyways if I were to clean the thing out so this should ensure I only need to do the swap once :)
[/quote]

Do I buy it and hope "glow plug - short circuit to ground" is truely a faulty glow plug????

I have an ecu rejection - but fairly sure that is due to programming the OBC - still to be undone
Last edited by X5 ALN on Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

jevansio

Post by jevansio » Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:42 am

My logic is that I'm planning on keeping the car a while and I can't see it not coming in useful at some point - the gasket kit is obviously a bonus. 

Also if the software is telling you the glow pin is faulty it's hardly a bad move in buying a new glow pin, it's not like the software is telling you the fuel pump is faulty and you rushing out and buying a new glow pin.

When I measured the resistance on my glow pin it showed 1.1 ohm, with yours saying short circuit to ground I'm guessing yours is showing 0 ohm?

X5 ALN

Post by X5 ALN » Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:51 am

not necessarily.  Aparently the ECU can cause it - unsure

reading this post which also has useful UK contacts

http://www.fullfatrr.com/forum/topic13776-15.html

and a trouble shooter for the webasto

http://www.raini.ch/files/webasto_Therm ... 20Tree.pdf
Last edited by X5 ALN on Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

jevansio

Post by jevansio » Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:14 am

I think the only diagnostic I haven't done on mine is whether the PCB is outputting 12v on the glow pin and pulsing the fuel pump, maybe I'll try that before I remove it, but I'm still happy I picked one of the glow pins up as I'm sure it's gonna come in handy at some point

wilkoturbo

Testing and Diagnosing the E53 Webasto Thermo Top C/Z

Post by wilkoturbo » Mon Nov 05, 2012 12:13 pm

[quote="Alan703"]
[quote="wilkoturbo"]
[quote="wilkoturbo"]
Right I have wired power to pin 1 via a remote it powers up for like a minuite then shuts off , I've read the fault codes what next <!-- s:( -->:(<!-- s:( --> ImageImageImageImage
[/quote]
[/quote]

Did you happen to enable the Nav screen for Auxiliary Heating / Ventilation? instead of the original Auxiliary Ventilation setting

I beleive if you did - the Nav screen is communicating with the IHKA and other components before starting the webasto.  You will probably find the IHKA is not the one suitable for SA536 option, and you will not have the valve that is mentioned in your fault code.  As well as this, other parts of the system are missing as you do not have the factory fitted Parking Heater.

This is the point I am at, although I am also showing a glow plug short circuit to ground fault. 

I am waiting to recode the Nav screen back to its original setting, then take it from there.
[/quote]
The sw is dis v57 what BMW use , I'm confused on why not to enable the aux heater , if I power it via the satnav screen it does the same as power to pin 1 works for 30 secs then shuts down !!!!!
bmw x5 le mans blue