Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Testing and Diagnosing the E53 Webasto Thermo Top C/Z

How-To articles ONLY go here.
shadrack
Snr Member
Snr Member

Re: Testing and Diagnosing the E53 Webasto Thermo Top C/Z

Post by shadrack » Thu Dec 26, 2013 11:00 pm

these webasto threads are boring,
current: 2016 Vw Crafter
              2007 318d touring
              2008 Transit sport van            
              1964 vw beach buggy
              1988 e30 325i convertible

jgoste

Post by jgoste » Sun Feb 02, 2014 11:30 am

Hi,
I had issues with my webasto thermotop c on my e53. Didnt fire up. I cleaned it and replaced the glowplug. Now it works ok whem i start up the engine  but never fires up if started up on BC or via remote controll. When i run diagnosis test i get the fault code "0E/48 communication failure on customers specific bus". Any ideas?

Hoppo

Post by Hoppo » Fri Apr 25, 2014 11:29 am

Hi All,

I only discovered a couple of months ago that my facelift 3.0D X5 had a Webasto heater fitted and thanks to this forum it's now up and running (after some frustration!). Here is the story:

1. Applied 12V to pin 1 of heater and it made all the right noises and fired up for a couple of minutes, but then the combustion fan started oscillating/stuttering and then stopped. Could only be reset after pulling the Webasto fuse or using INPA software to clear the fault code - 'combustion fan open circuit'

2. Was not sure if PCB fault or fan fault so I bought a working second hand unit from a breakers. Swapped the PCB out for the good one and it fixed the problem. Sent the faulty PCB to 'French Mike' from the Rover75 forum who replaced a couple of faulty resistors for just over £40 inc postage - he provides a great service within a couple of weeks. He gives a good technical write up here:

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/s ... 6c&t=53896

3. Now I wanted the heater to fire up via remote control without stepping outside on those frosty mornings so I used the Velleman 2 channel remote control unit from Maplins:

http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/velleman-2-ch ... dule-a92jl

For £38 this unit applies 12V to the Webasto for a timed period (15 mins or 30 mins are the most useful presets). It also toggles, so if you press the fob a second time during the 'ON' cycle it will turn off. Following JAYNANA's advice on post #22 of this thread, I wired up the remote control unit in the boot. I fixed it in place with Velcro tabs so it can be easily removed if I need to adjust the timings etc. After adding a 12v led mounted through the vent by the rear side windows it was job done. Bring on the winter!

Thanks to everyone here for posting their stories, without which I still would not have even known what that grey metal box under the bonnet was there for...

Ps Apologies for the blatant plug. If anyone is after a working Webasto, I am selling my spare on eBay:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-X5-E53-3- ... 43c8dbe140

Listed for £150, but will sell for £135 to forum members (just use the Best Offer tab).
Last edited by Hoppo on Fri Apr 25, 2014 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BMW X5 3.0D Facelift. 55 Plate. Manual gearbox (rare as hens’ teeth?)

AW8
Lifer
Lifer

Post by AW8 » Fri Apr 25, 2014 9:13 pm

Admin/Mod Post ...I am happy with the above plug at end of post as I have prior met Hoppo face to face.
Gone - 2002 E53 X5 4.4i Sport (Pre Facelift) Owned 2006-2016.

Site & Forum Admin Team Member.

Hoppo

Post by Hoppo » Tue Apr 29, 2014 12:17 am

[quote="AW8"]
Admin/Mod Post ...I am happy with the above plug at end of post as I have prior met Hoppo face to face.
[/quote]

Glad that didn't put you off!  :)

Hoppo

Post by Hoppo » Thu May 01, 2014 6:35 pm

Further to my post above about activating the Webasto using a remote control unit, I have now managed to add Aux Heater as an option on the centre console menu of my X5.

To do this I used the BMW 1.4.0 Scanner Software from www.xcar360.com (took a couple of weeks to arrive from Hong Kong). Easy software to use, but I had to install it on a Windows XP machine (would not work on my 64bit Windows 8 laptop).

Using BMW Scanner 1.4.0 the Aux Heater option is activated by:
1. entering the IKE Coding Page,
2. click on 'coding data' menu
3. select 'recoding' menu
4. tick the Auxiliary Heater (STH) box
5. select 'write' (and wait 10 seconds while it writes the data)
6. exit program and see if it works. Run the heater for a minimum of 3 minutes before selecting it off (allows it to complete start up cycle and get up to temperature)
7. if it doesn't start or stops prematurely, read/clear the 'errors' using the BMW Scanner software. Common problems are faulty PCB in Webasto or low car battery voltage.

I had read on other posts that the above method does not work unless extra pipework etc is fitted to the car, so maybe it depends on your model/year of manufacture. It certainly worked on my 55 plate X5 3.0D (E53) and also on a friend's 02 plate 530D (E39). 

Good luck......
Last edited by Hoppo on Sun May 04, 2014 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nebrog23

Post by nebrog23 » Sun Jul 20, 2014 8:39 pm

Hi
I am after a little help, I have a webasto with telestart. It  switches on and runs fine for a few minutes and then overheats. It seems the water pump is not working. I have had the PCB checked by french mike and all appears fine.
Can anyone confirm the water pump should kick in immediately? and it is item 9 in the link

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do ... g=64&fg=18

I have tried connecting 12v to it and nothing happened.

more_fasterer

Post by more_fasterer » Sun Jul 20, 2014 9:52 pm

Hi nebrog23, yes that's the water pump and it should turn on immediately upon the Webasto firing, or when the ignition key is in the "on" position and you've got the interior fan on.  The pump is easy to replace, it's behind the left-side headlight and down a bit.  It helps to have a hose crimper to minimise getting coolant everywhere when you pull the hoses off.

I had the exact same issue that you've described and I replaced the aux. water pump, and the Webasto has been working happily ever since ::)
Chipped 2005 E53 X5 3.0d Sportpac | 2012 E91 335i Motorsport | 1992 R32 Skyline GT-R | 1998 Pulsar VZ-R Rally Car | 2002 Kawasaki ZX-6R

jaynana
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by jaynana » Sun Jul 20, 2014 11:30 pm

it is also easy to check. when the webasto is running if you open the coolant cap you will see a jet of water coming in if the water pump is working.
Current: BMW 640i Convertible (320PS)
             Audi A7 Sportback 3.0 T FSI quattro (300 PS) SE STronic  8)
Previous: BMW X5 E53 Facelift 3.0d

nebrog23

Post by nebrog23 » Mon Jul 21, 2014 9:10 pm

Thanks great, new pump ordered. It is not working when the webasto fires up or when the ignition and fan is on so its appears its the culprit. The webasto was overheating.

How are the hoses held on to  the pump? they seem clipped on. Is it a simple case of removing hoses and clipping on to new pump or do you need new clips?

mashby

Post by mashby » Sun Jan 04, 2015 10:11 pm

Hoppo,

I'm a newbie to X drivers. Have you any contact details for French Mike. I have  a 2005 E53 Webasto heater which does just what your does/did. Starts up then fan runs erratically after about 2 mins & then shuts down with loads of smoke. Get INPA fault code fan error.

We always restart when reset. Just before the fan shuts down INPA reports an error 'fan Interrupted' or something similar.

Mark A.

janzek-e46

Post by janzek-e46 » Sat Jan 24, 2015 4:37 pm

Hi guys,

I'm a newbie to Xdrivers and I come from Slovenia so i appologize for spelling :).

My car is a BMW E46 320d 1999 100kw, and i have allsow a Webasto Thermo Top Z/C factory installed.

This winter makes the Webasto problems, it doesn't fires up. When I start the engine the Webasto starts to work something but only for about 130s then it goes off.

I thought the problem is glow plug, but I tested her with an Ohm-meter and it works just fine, then I thought it could be the small water pump but she works fine. Now I think it's the fuel (diesel) pump, because if the diesel doesn't come to Webastos glow plug he can not fire up.

I allsow swamped the pcb board, mine was broken. The replacement pcb board came from a spare webasto that is just like mine.

Maybe it entered allsow the lockout because I didn't know that for the remote control start the pin 1 needs constant 12V for at least 3min. How can I make the lockout go away? I tried like it says in manual: after or when the engine it's running pull the fuse out. I let the fuse out for about 12 hours.

Pictures show what for an errors finds the INPA for the AUX Heater (Webasto).

Thank for any advice and help.
Best Regards,
Denis

jaynana
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by jaynana » Sun Jan 25, 2015 9:51 am

welcome aboard, that's an impressive bit of diagnostics and work, so i'm guessing you're well versed with the car and its workings, although new around here?

in terms of making the lockout go away (assuming that's the problem), i'm guessing you must have tried F2 in INPA?

another possible approach is try option 21 here, this has worked for me for various messages.

the time i played with webo i had a Reslers device, which togetehr with webo sw allowed me to play with webo memory..

janzek-e46

Post by janzek-e46 » Sun Jan 25, 2015 12:59 pm

Thank you for your answer, I must say i understand quite much about how the car and the webo are working :)

I tried to clear the errors in INPA yes but two of them came right up again thats the metering pump and circulation pump.

How did you connect the Reslers device, i'm seeing four cabels, where and how do i make the Reslers device to work?

The diagnose pin on the webo is allsow pin2 that is already connected to work with INPA and others BMW diagnosting tool.

I'm thinking to buy this bmw scanner 1.4.0 : http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-Scanner-1 ... 5b022cf756 (but i don't know if this cheap stuff works properly because its in 90% from china)

And i think if this would be the right coise to buy: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Webasto-USB-D ... 3cefd9e235 because i read that if you connect the webasto diagnostic tool the lockout its cleared and like the pictures show you can see what part of the webo its making problems :)
Last edited by janzek-e46 on Sun Jan 25, 2015 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jaynana
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by jaynana » Mon Jan 26, 2015 3:14 pm

hello mate, re. the scanner - not sure if u need it really cos u already have INPA?

the ebay link - the software looks identical to what i used. possibly standard webo diagnostic sw.

the usb diagnostic adoptor looks different to the reslers but i'm sure this will do the job.

with regard to where it connects - unsure about this device, but the reslers is essentially a k-bus interface. so as long as u connect to the k-bus from anywhere in the car u will be good. from memory it was pin 2 on the webo plug, to the white wire on reslers (other 3 were power, ground, video). its been a long time and i can't remember, if u read through the first part of this thread it must be documented. if u can't find let me know i'll search for it.

also if u can pm me your email address i think i have a webo diagnostic manual in .pdf, which might help.