Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

wheel locating tool

How-To articles ONLY go here.
lezmtaylor

wheel locating tool

Post by lezmtaylor » Wed Oct 13, 2010 7:50 pm

I have found it difficult sometimes to refit and locate road wheels back on to the hub.
They are bl...y heavy and the older one gets they seem to weigh more.
Any way I made a tool to assist refitting them.
You need a length of M14 fine pitch 1.5mm studding (I got mine from a firm called'' boltmeup '' on ebay) .
Cut a piece about 6" long and then grind off and flatten about 5" of the thread (I got some shrink tubing and shrunk covered the ground off section).
All you do when refitting a wheel is to fit the threaded section into one of the wheel bolt holes push your wheel down the rod and twiddle the wheel to refit.
Refit bolts, remove stud tool and job done.
Don't ask for a pic as I still haven't mastered posting pics yet.
Hope this helps the infirm (That's me) and anyone else.
Lez
2002. 4.4lpg,ledAE's,Xenons,paddleshift,compass mirror,inst rings,led int lights,rear camera,crystal tailights,eisenmann road exh,Schnitzer pedals,chrome indicators,colour co-ord headlamps & bonnet grilles,hualigim entertainment system.dash and rearcamera,comfort seats.hud,bull bars,engine instalube

pvr
Lifer
Lifer

Re: wheel locating tool

Post by pvr » Wed Oct 13, 2010 8:05 pm

Interesting that is. On my 7 series, that piece of kit was standard in the tool box.

On the X, where the wheels are rather heavy, that part is missing from the tool box. I bought mine from a US company that makes them, was $10 I think.

Your DIY method obviously works as well :)
X5M F85,  Golf Clipper, Abarth 595 Competizioni, Jeep

911 50th anniversary -
Site & Forum Admin Team Member.

x555
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by x555 » Thu Oct 14, 2010 7:46 am

[quote=""lezmtaylor""]
Don't ask for a pic as I still haven't mastered posting pics yet.Lez[/quote]

Sorry Lez :oops: we were going to sort this out at the meet weren't we fella ohh well there's always next time ehh!
54 PLATE E53 3.0d X5 FACELIFT BLACK WITH BLACK

lezmtaylor

Post by lezmtaylor » Sun Jan 12, 2014 3:11 pm

[quote="lezmtaylor"]
I have found it difficult sometimes to refit  and locate road wheels back on to the hub.
You need a length of M14 fine pitch 1.5mm studding (I got mine from a firm called'' boltmeup '' on ebay)  .
Cut a piece about 6" long and then grind off and flatten about 5" of the thread (I got some shrink tubing and shrunk covered the ground off section).
All you do when refitting a wheel is to fit the threaded section into one of the wheel bolt holes push your wheel down the rod and twiddle the wheel to refit.
Lez
[/quote]
2002. 4.4lpg,ledAE's,Xenons,paddleshift,compass mirror,inst rings,led int lights,rear camera,crystal tailights,eisenmann road exh,Schnitzer pedals,chrome indicators,colour co-ord headlamps & bonnet grilles,hualigim entertainment system.dash and rearcamera,comfort seats.hud,bull bars,engine instalube

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Sun Jan 12, 2014 4:47 pm

Didn't that firm make the bits you and I now have as skeletal addons....... :)) :))

How is your 'scaffolding'?

Richard
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

lezmtaylor

Post by lezmtaylor » Sun Feb 02, 2014 12:23 pm

Hi Richard,
Scaffolding is working fine apart from the screw problem, have seen the man and agreed that having it removed and refitted is too risky (as it took 10 hours to fit and god knows how long to do it all over again )
New prob with the rh shoulder replacement which was done about 4 years ago : 3months ago lifting a bag of shopping out of car and felt a twinge in shoulder, 1 hour later in dire straights, trip to A&E, they took xrays  etc and could not make it out, seems the joint had dislocated but no cup to refit it into !!
Urgent apt with consultant who says the cup has disintergrated (Arthritis), nowhere to put ball back into so the damned shoulder is just floatin around !!!(looks quite weird from the back view).
After a few hours the pain settles down as the muscles pull it back in to some sort of normality. So have to really watch what I do as it comes out so easily, still driving though.
The consensus from the surgeon is not good, he is contacting his associates, but does not hold out much hope.
Moving house shortly, so will not be much use and have got a garage full of new kitchen to fit as well as a 100 and 1 jobs I wanted to do.
Have bought some led rings to replace the ccfl rings in my lights and a few more mods I was hoping to do.

How are your spine probs progressing and any news on the job front ?

Lez

Smeeagain
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Smeeagain » Mon Feb 17, 2014 7:22 pm

[quote="lezmtaylor"]
I have found it difficult sometimes to refit  and locate road wheels back on to the hub.
You need a length of M14 fine pitch 1.5mm studding (I got mine from a firm called'' boltmeup '' on ebay)  .

Excellent idea. I cant see how to search for a company on ebay and I tried searching ebay for M14 fine pitch 1.5mm studding but couldn't find it ? Can you post a link to the ad you bought it from or the item number?
Thanks
Smee
Lez
[/quote]

Smeeagain
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Smeeagain » Mon Feb 17, 2014 7:24 pm

update - they are no longer a registered user
Smee

pvr
Lifer
Lifer

Post by pvr » Mon Feb 17, 2014 8:05 pm

Who do you mean?
X5M F85,  Golf Clipper, Abarth 595 Competizioni, Jeep

911 50th anniversary -
Site & Forum Admin Team Member.

Smeeagain
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Smeeagain » Tue Feb 18, 2014 9:27 am

Sorry my message above the one that says they are no longer a registered user got corrupted somehow.

I had been posting asking the original poster for the details of the ebay seller but if you have look my text got mixed up with his on the 'quote' element of the post. I then managed to locate the seller (or not) myself on ebay and found out they were no longer a registered user - apologies for the confusion!

If anyone can help me locate a seller of the correct size/pitch studding id be most grateful

Smee

lezmtaylor

Post by lezmtaylor » Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:22 am

Had a look on the web, try CW Fasteners, they appear to have stock. M14 1.5.
Lez

Smeeagain
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Smeeagain » Tue Feb 18, 2014 3:14 pm

lezmtaylor

Post by lezmtaylor » Tue Feb 18, 2014 4:02 pm

Should work, but a bit short, for a couple of quid give it a go ( the one I made up is about 6inches long)

Lez

Smeeagain
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Smeeagain » Tue Apr 29, 2014 3:39 pm

Actually I found this ........

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ALLOY-WHEEL-F ... Model%3AX5

Smee

Cockneyjanner

Post by Cockneyjanner » Sat May 10, 2014 6:15 am

Top advice there - thanks Smee, I've ordered one of those  8)
It's not the Days in your Life - It's the Life in your Days  8)