Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

V8 weep hole coolant leak

Discuss the problems with your X5 (E53).
Jamine16

V8 weep hole coolant leak

Post by Jamine16 » Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:54 pm

The inevitable has happened, I got the coolant weep hole leak.

For anyone that is not familiar with the problem,  basically it will effect just about every N62 V8 engine at some point (including the 4.8 version)

There is a coolant transfer pipe that runs from the front to the back of the engine at the bottom of the V (underneath the intake manifold and valley pan)

Over time the rubber seal at the front corrodes and coolant builds up in the valley and leaks from the weep hole. (Usually between 80-100k miles)

How many other X5 owners have experienced this?

There is alot on the 7 series forums and iv even noticed a few posts with E70 owners experiencing the same issue.

I have a bimmer pipe on order and the whole repair will cost me about 1k (including parts and labour)
Facelift 4.4 V8 sport LPG Converted- Fully loaded- www.bmkeys.com

lezmtaylor

Re: V8 weep hole coolant leak

Post by lezmtaylor » Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:51 pm

Bloody hell, hope it does not affect the M62.

Lez
2002. 4.4lpg,ledAE's,Xenons,paddleshift,compass mirror,inst rings,led int lights,rear camera,crystal tailights,eisenmann road exh,Schnitzer pedals,chrome indicators,colour co-ord headlamps & bonnet grilles,hualigim entertainment system.dash and rearcamera,comfort seats.hud,bull bars,engine instalube

AW8
Lifer
Lifer

Post by AW8 » Fri Mar 01, 2013 2:04 pm

No exclusive to valvetronic N62 I think- google valley pan N62 and loads of info plus repair kit info albeit most chat stateside last time I looked.
Gone - 2002 E53 X5 4.4i Sport (Pre Facelift) Owned 2006-2016.

Site & Forum Admin Team Member.

Horizon
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Horizon » Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:58 pm

There's a good how to, on YouTube, it looked like it was a liquid gasket, he cleaned up the old surface and put a bead of silicone on the two mating surfaces and bolted it back down. It's from the US, there used to V8's there.
2011 Kia Sorento KX3  2.2D 60 Plate Auto in black ( mine )
BMW E83 X3.  3.0d M Sport, 2008 in black ( now gone )
BMW E93 330i Convertible  Msport  2007.  ( Now sold )
VW Golf 2.0 TDI 140 GT 2010 ( now sold )
Now Sold 55 plate, X5, 3.0 D Sport. Silv

Jamine16

Post by Jamine16 » Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:42 pm

Iv ordered the bimmer pipe (www.bimmerpipe.com)

It looks like a pretty simple install compared to what would be involved if you replaced it an oem pipe.

The heads and timing gear would all have to be removed, but this way its just the intake manifold and valley pan.

Ill keep the thread updated on how it goes.

Ubatoid

Post by Ubatoid » Sat Mar 02, 2013 10:59 am

I would seriously do a bit more research first. I am certain the X5s are not affected by this issue with the pipe, but it is the valley pan gasket that goes. I too was dreading this happening to mine so spent a bit of time researching. I cant remember exactly which engines are affected because when I found out mine wouldnt be I stopped worrying and forgot about it. As I said, its much more likely to be the vally pan, which will cost you the price of a tube of sealant and some labour.
Last edited by Ubatoid on Sat Mar 02, 2013 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
2002 4.4 cooking on gas

Jamine16

Post by Jamine16 » Sat Mar 02, 2013 11:47 am

If thats the case then I can resell the bimmerpipe.

But a few people I have spoken to have seen it happen on the E53, I just think the N62 V8's aint that common compared to the 7 series.

I definitely have all the symtoms though. It doesn't leak once the engine is warm due to the rubber seal expanding.
But after sitting in the cold overnight it loses half a tank.

I forgot to mention that my X5 is currently on 86k miles.
Last edited by Jamine16 on Sat Mar 02, 2013 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jamine16

Post by Jamine16 » Sat Mar 02, 2013 12:05 pm

[quote="Ubatoid"]
I would seriously do a bit more research first. I am certain the X5s are not affected by this issue with the pipe, but it is the valley pan gasket that goes. I too was dreading this happening to mine so spent a bit of time researching. I cant remember exactly which engines are affected because when I found out mine wouldnt be I stopped worrying and forgot about it. As I said, its much more likely to be the vally pan, which will cost you the price of a tube of sealant and some labour.
[/quote]

I notice you have a 2002. They have the earlier M62 lump, which is not effected.

Its just the facelift 2004-2006 and the E70 I believe.

Jamine16

Post by Jamine16 » Sat Mar 16, 2013 5:00 pm

My bimmer pipe finally arrived a couple of days ago.

It took 2 days for USPS to deliver it from the US to the UK, but it took parcel force 2 weeks to deliver it 10 miles down the road.

First impressions are very good. Its a quality piece of hardware and is well made. I will feel alot more comfortable with this in my engine over the original bmw pipe any day.

I purchased it from ebay and the seller is a top bloke. He marked the value down and stated it was gift in order to avoid extortionate customs charges.

Iv got the car booked into highams motor company next monday, so will update after the work is completed.

Last edited by Jamine16 on Sat Mar 16, 2013 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jamine16

Post by Jamine16 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:16 pm

Just picked my car up from having the work done.

The overall cost was £1200 :-(

The seal on the end of pipe was completely corroded.

SuperG

Post by SuperG » Sat Jun 25, 2016 12:25 pm

I've had the same problem on my 2004 X5 V8.

I took it to Highams Park Motor Company and spoke with Clive. He confirmed that was the problem.

I suggested that there was a way of fixing it using the Bimmerfix kit. Clive hadn't tried this method before but he was full of confidence and said he would give it a go.

The bill actually came out less than Clive had estimated - That's the first time that's ever happened to me for a car repair.

I've been driving the car now for around 1 month and sat in heavy traffic for over one hour whilst queuing to go to an event. It's perfect, the temperature gauge is dead centre.

Although it's nearly a one hour drive for me to get there, this is where I'll be taking my car in future.

AW8
Lifer
Lifer

Post by AW8 » Sat Jun 25, 2016 1:00 pm

Thanks for sharing this info.

As the N62 repair with the modified kit is not widely known of in the U.K. it will provide some reassurance to others that someone in U.K. is ok to carry out this repair, in a capable manner & for a relatively fair price.

Glad car sorted.
Gone - 2002 E53 X5 4.4i Sport (Pre Facelift) Owned 2006-2016.

Site & Forum Admin Team Member.

Pete

Post by Pete » Sun Jul 24, 2016 1:23 pm

Does anyone know the actual cost of the various ways of fixing this issue ?

I've noticed different methods from a stent to an expandable pipe but total costs (including labour) are unclear.

henrym3
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by henrym3 » Sat Jul 30, 2016 5:31 pm

The M62 V8 is effected with this problem, they also have a coolant pipe going from the pump to the accumulator at the back of the engine, they also have the valley pan leak problem which shows up by leaking through the weep holes and leaking down the front or rear of the engine. I just fixed my son's 4.4 (2003)The actual parts to fix this problem are 4 o ring seals and a tube of RTV. However nothing is ever that simple and cheap. you have to remove a load of stuff to get to it, which requires a certain amount of mechanical skill and then replace those gaskets as well when you put it back together but parts were well below £100. Father/son labour seem to work out at £0 per hour which is brilliant if your the son. While in that area the timing chain tensioners and guide rails were also changed but that's another story.
E53 X5 4.6is, Carbon Black, LPG, Paddle Shift, Dynavin N6, Lowered, 22"Wheels, Side Bars. Perfusion Exhaust
E30 M3 Black, S50B32 Engine, 6 Speed Box, Ireland Engineering ARBs & Big Brake Conversion, Lowered, 18"LMs, CF CAI, CF Splitter & Barge Board, ZM3 Quad Exhaust.
VW R32 Gone