Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Pics of my X5 30d Msport

Waka

Re: Pics of my X5 30d Msport

Post by Waka » Thu Nov 28, 2013 10:36 pm

I haven't liked the look of the F15 X5 in the pictures I've seen of it, but I went to see one at our local dealer last weekend and they look *much* better in the flesh - even though it was white...and an SE!
They had a black M sport model outside which looked more purposeful. Shame I missed the fully loaded M50D which was given to its new owner on the day of release, I asked the dealer to get him to call me in 2 years time!  O:-)
Curr. - Silverstone II F85
Prev. - E70 4.0D M Sport
E53 3.0D Sport Facelift - Estoril Blue

davyk31

Post by davyk31 » Sat Nov 30, 2013 7:06 pm

I'm still a little undecided on the looks but the more I look the more I like it, so much so that I'm very close to ordering.

Likely to be a 40d also in Space Grey.

Whats the spec of your car OP?

kenniff

Post by kenniff » Sun Dec 01, 2013 11:32 pm

It's a 30d msport.
I would've ordered the x40d but I needed to change now not in feb which was best likely delivery on a 40d at the time. Have to say that compared to my 4 year old 35d msport my new car is faster, so the 40d will be brilliant and it's less than 3k more.

Spec: pano sunroof, privacy glass, harmon kardon stereo, connected drive, USB and advanced Bluetooth, cameras (reversing and all round), folding mirrors, heated front seats, service inclusive.

You might want bigger wheels ( though I'm very happy with the standard). I'd investigate the whole connectivity thing a bit more. I got a snap in for my iPhone and it happily plays music from it by Bluetooth too, but I haven't figured out how to get text messages and emails yet. The new screen is brilliant, displaying album art etc, and the interior and lighting are streets ahead of the old car. TV functionality would be great but it wasn't in my budget. The only step backwards on the interior is the glove box, which now looks like the bog standard one you'd get in a vauxhall or something.

I'd def recommend upgrading to at least the HK stereo. I had the "advanced" in my last car and it was unimpressive? I can only imagine how bad the "standard" is! HK is noticeably better and a good option for those of us who can't justify the b&o....

On the plus side i can confirm that the e70 roof rack fits on the f15 :)
Current: M50i arctic grey (G05)
Previous: RRS P400 HST, F15 M50d,F15 30d Msport, E70 35d Msport, 530i, Boxster, 330Ci Sport Vectra GSi, Chevrolet Lumina, Vxl Astras

It'll be allright in the end. If it isn't allright it isn't the end

davyk31

Post by davyk31 » Mon Dec 02, 2013 9:15 am

Thanks for that.

Yes 20" wheels would certainly be on my list, that along with wanting to go 40d are harming my budget for other extras. Currently I have pano roof, heat front and rear seats, folding mirrors, rear camera, sun pro glass, think thats it, would love the HK stereo but already struggling with cost.

Can you tell me more about the surround view camera system ,is it a useful feature. From looking at Youtube vids the pictures don't seem wonderful although no doubt the F15 system is better. How well does it help with kerbs if parallel parking?

Also are there camera to show if you are emerging from a small road say onto a main road, don't seem any front side cameras on the car. I have quite a tight gargage to go into, is it possible to switch the view when going forward to see from the front camera at both sides to see if I was going to hit either side wall - hope that makes sense? If it did help in these situations it may be worth the cash.

Also when reversing into a space do you need to choose which view you want, either rear view camera or the birds eye view? Or are there so many views it gets confusing?

kenniff

Post by kenniff » Mon Dec 02, 2013 12:22 pm

I'll need to play with it to check this out thoroughly (so far I've only driven it for 10 minutes since I got it), but will update. In my last car I only had the sensors and it'll probably be a while before I remember to use the cameras as well! So far I continue to turn round and look. I suspect they will be most useful for those last few inches in a really tight spaces (maybe like your garage?) rather than for parking in the big spaces I've been in so far. I've always found that for side obstacles, having only the sensors isnt much help as they go continuous too soon.

Sitting in the car I don't really get a sense for how useful the panoramic view is going to be. It seems pretty easy to switch between front and rear cameras. The side ones are under the wing mirrors I believe (?) so hard to see how it would tell you much about cars driving down the street (until it was too late), though it certainly says in the brochure about how they help to give warning of approaching traffic when emerging from parking spaces...  So far all I've seen are people walking past as I sit parked!

On your spec, the only question I'd ask is how often you think you'll be sitting in the back and thus needing heated rear seats?  :)
Previous: RRS P400 HST, F15 M50d,F15 30d Msport, E70 35d Msport, 530i, Boxster, 330Ci Sport Vectra GSi, Chevrolet Lumina, Vxl Astras

535dboy
Lifer
Lifer

Post by 535dboy » Mon Dec 02, 2013 12:26 pm

Agree on rear heated seats!!!
Cameras all around take some getting used to, had them on a 7 they lent me once.
Currently :
2012 Audi RS4 (B8)
2012 Porsche Boxster S (981)
2008 Lotus Exige S (a bit modified!)
2015 Nissan Leaf twin turbo with Nitros

Previously :
2008 BMW X5 3.0sd MSport
2005 BMW 535d MSport

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Mon Dec 02, 2013 12:55 pm

[quote="davyk31"]

Can you tell me more about the surround view camera system ,is it a useful feature. From looking at Youtube vids the pictures don't seem wonderful although no doubt the F15 system is better. How well does it help with kerbs if parallel parking?

Also are there camera to show if you are emerging from a small road say onto a main road, don't seem any front side cameras on the car.

Also when reversing into a space do you need to choose which view you want, either rear view camera or the birds eye view? Or are there so many views it gets confusing?
[/quote]

1.  Surround view gives you one reversing camera, and one under each mirror giving a total of 5.

2.  Yes.  Cameras are in each front wing about 12" back.  I use them in country junctions in Wales.

3.  Yes.  You can have reverse, look down (kerb view) and front wings as you desire.

Richard
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

kenniff

Post by kenniff » Mon Dec 02, 2013 1:31 pm

I'm confused now... though to be honest I wasn't entirely clear before  :blink:

One front, one rear, 2 mirrors.... doesnt that make 4?

Plus one on each front wing.... doesnt that make 6?

If you don't explain I MAY have to read the manual.....

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Mon Dec 02, 2013 1:39 pm

No front camera.  Nothing looking ahead.

Just to try and help further, I have:

1 in each front wing, one under each mirror and one reversing camera.  That's the full surround view, side view and reversing setup.

The front view is human eyes plus PDC.

Is that any better?  :)
Last edited by X5Sport on Mon Dec 02, 2013 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

davyk31

Post by davyk31 » Mon Dec 02, 2013 2:46 pm

I think we are getting confused in models. The new X5 does have a front camera, just about the number plate and its the first time this has been fitted and gives a 360 degree view rather than the previous 270. I do not think the new X5 has any front bumper cameras as they cant be seen on the car. So it seems it has perhaps one front, one rear and one in each mirror but in that case it can't give the view emerging from a road end or driving through a tight space that is useful.

davyk31

Post by davyk31 » Mon Dec 02, 2013 2:47 pm

And as regards the heated rear seats don't you nasty men have kids sitting in the back of the car on freezing leather ............ I'm a good Daddy and they love me lol.

kenniff

Post by kenniff » Mon Dec 02, 2013 2:49 pm

You may well be right... as I was busily typing when you posted :).

I've definitely got as view that says "front" and looks out the front.....

I do have two little monsters who sit in the back, but they are in car seats and a long way from the nice warm leather....

markda

Post by markda » Mon Dec 02, 2013 3:00 pm

The interior looks lovely and great color combination, but like so many I am unconvinced with the looks at this stage.  Personally speaking, if I was in the market for a SUV of that size right now I'd buy the new RRS which looks frankly stunning inside and out.

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Mon Dec 02, 2013 3:08 pm

[quote="davyk31"]
And as regards the heated rear seats don't you nasty men have kids sitting in the back of the car on freezing leather ............ I'm a good Daddy and they love me lol.
[/quote]

LOL.  He's in a child seat so won't feel them......but we do have a sheepskin liner for him :D

markda

Post by markda » Mon Dec 02, 2013 3:21 pm

What no heated child's seat!