Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Reverse Camera Install (E53)

How-To articles ONLY go here.
X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Reverse Camera Install (E53)

Post by X5Sport » Tue Feb 07, 2012 3:17 pm

Wireless is probably the easiest way. There seem to be loads or these type systems on the web.

If you have 13-pin 'Euro' electrics fitted then (and check this carefully first) Pin 12 is not normally used - which is why you can use 12-core cable with Euro-plugs. BMW may use it, or your caravan/trailer supplier may use it though - hence the check.

If the pin isn't used, then it is theoretically possible to use that pin to carry the video signal from a trailer camera to the car as long as you use a coaxial feed cable and the existing system uses the vehicle body as the ground side for the video system (ie the OEM video system is not isolated from the body but grounds via an insulated connection). If the ground is the same then you could in theory feed the video down pin 12 and earth via the normal earth on Pin 3 (not 11 as that is for the secondary battery charging circuit only). There may not be enough video signal for it to work, and you will still need a video switcher to swap the camera input.

Euro socket wiring diagram here:

http://uk-trailer-parts.co.uk/wiring-a-13-pin-euro-plug

This is all theoretical, and your camera switcher could work automatically if it took and signal from say the caravan/trailer reversing light line to signal that camera 2 should be used instead of camera 1. The actual components are not something I can help with, but something tells me you may well not be the first person to have asked this question - there might even be a ready made solution available.
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

wilkoturbo

Post by wilkoturbo » Tue Feb 07, 2012 5:20 pm

I was hoping just to tap into the car reverse cam as when the 13 pin is connected the reverse lights don't work ( no need to ) so I could wire the relay up to the caravan reverse light ???!!!
bmw x5 le mans blue

Rusty
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Rusty » Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:51 pm

As there would be no feed to the car cam when there are no car rev lights on, if in theory you were to use the caravan rev lights to power the van cam with the vid back through the euro plug, you should be able to parallel wire the video as only one cam would be powered at a time.

That would make wiring easier.

Just a thought.

Sent from my iPod device using Tapatalk
3.0d Sport Exclusive E53 CB with black comfort, pano, folding dimming mirrors, 20"ers, comms, xenons, focal sub, Intravee II, GSM heater........and so on.
Runabout - E92 3 Series Coupe

wilkoturbo

Post by wilkoturbo » Wed Feb 08, 2012 8:52 am

That's the one ! Anyone fancy drawing me a wiring diagram ?? ;-)
bmw x5 le mans blue

jaynana
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by jaynana » Sun Nov 04, 2012 4:26 pm

just did a reverse cam install, thanks to this amazing thread

never felt that i needed one but the level of detail in the thread was so complete that i just felt like i had to give it a go! and of course mrs would love this and as for me that would potentially save my rear bumper!

total outlay: £29!! (£14 for the cam from fleabay, another £10 for a relay and wires from halfords, another ~£5 for 3 bmw pins).

lot of hrs and patience required to do a neat job with wires shielded and clipped to ensure they don't rattle around and are laid out like oem.

great mod for a small outlay, totally satisfying!

sanj, amazing find on the wiring diagram, that really is the crucial bit - how did u get hold of that? come to think of it a lot of ppl now have rear cams thanks to that find!

was 7c by the time i finished - i must be mad! no more x-mods until spring!
Last edited by jaynana on Sun Nov 04, 2012 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Current: BMW 640i Convertible (320PS)
             Audi A7 Sportback 3.0 T FSI quattro (300 PS) SE STronic  8)
Previous: BMW X5 E53 Facelift 3.0d

Sanj
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Sanj » Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:19 am

:-[
Scn Protect,Alarm Chirp,Ashtray del,Sub install,IV2,Screens,PS2 Media,Chrome rings,Schnitzer pedals,Reverse cam,Silver Grills,F/mirrors,Comp Spkrs,Heated S/W,20"168s,Splash scn,Arches,Remap,LED Tails,ACS Spoiler,'is' Bumper Trim,Rear heated seats,Rear blinds

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Sat Nov 17, 2012 8:47 pm

Now you just need the updated system with one in each front wing (to peak out at blind T-junctions) and two under the mirrors so you know you're in between the parking bay lines....... :P

Richard  ;)
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

bullylad

Post by bullylad » Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:51 pm

Has anyone done this mod recently using the cameras that also combine and replace the reg plate light?

I notice that one of the earlier posts says that they can cause problems. Is this still the case?

fenj66

Post by fenj66 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:40 am

Hi and welcome to the forum!
The eBay camera I used was a combined number plate light type. But I chose to not use it to replace the standard light but fitted it next to it instead without connecting up the light wiring.
I can only think the issue might be with the led type
Iight in the camera is that it gives error messages on the dashboard.
05 stirling grey 3.0d Auto. mods - park heater, reverse cam, aux in

bullylad

Post by bullylad » Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:20 am

Hi Fenj, Thanks for the reply.

I have seen the type of camera you have fitted for sale but I can't understand how you connect the camera to the TV module in the back of the car.

I can see how the camera gets its power supply but in all the photos I have seen advertising reversing cameras they appear to have some sort of yellow 'AVI' connector to plug into a monitor in order to get the picture.

How do you change this connector into something that can communicate with the 18 pin connectors and get the picture on the screen in the front. Or have I mis understood it?

Thanks for your help.

fenj66

Post by fenj66 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:34 am

i dont know if there is such a connector that will fit onto the yellow plug and leave 2 wires exposed for connecting to the tv module.
but i just cutt off the yellow plug and binned it. then opened up the two wires to splice/connect into the wiring for the tv module.
hope this helps..

bullylad

Post by bullylad » Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:43 am

Yeah brilliant! that is was I hoped you would say. It makes a lot more sense now.

One final thing. Did you fit the relay as suggested or did it work without?

many thanks.

fenj66

Post by fenj66 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:58 am

i did use a relay in the first place so not sure if it works without.
one more thing, i originally used scotch lock connectors but these were not up to the job giving dodgy connections so better to solder connections if you can. good luck its a great mod!

bullylad

Post by bullylad » Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:45 am

Damn! This is the first time I had come across the Scotchlock connectors and thought they were a really good idea.
Obviously too good to be true?

I might even try the wireless camera systems that are available. If they don't work there is nothing really lost.

Thanks for your help.

james8whippy

Post by james8whippy » Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:00 pm