Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Reverse Camera Install (E53)

How-To articles ONLY go here.
Zakbelle

Reverse Camera Install (E53)

Post by Zakbelle » Sat Jul 05, 2014 3:46 pm

Hey does anyone know what size the bushing connectors are on the tv module blue and white connectors? Are they 0.5 or 0.75mm, does any they have spare I could buy as my dealers are being very unhelpful?? Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Reverse Camera Install (E53)

Post by X5Sport » Sun Jul 06, 2014 10:14 pm

Have a look on Realoem for the connector parts and pin sizes.  That way you can present the dealer with the part number...... :)

They hate that.....

Richard
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

Zakbelle

Post by Zakbelle » Sun Jul 06, 2014 11:20 pm

Cheers Richard I've got the part numbers for both sizes after being told you cant fit a reverse camera, only bmw can fit them, to Those parts don't exist tocan't get them without the connector to we may be able to order but don't know how long to okay we will order this time!! Just would like to order the correct ones as I really don't want to have to go back the parts numpty who thinks he's part of the elite due to wearing bmw top

Greydog

Post by Greydog » Wed Jul 09, 2014 7:20 am

I brought an AV interface cable from Ebay so I could upgrade the TV to Digital it came with a camera trigger wire complete with pin connector just needed fitting into the vacant position on the plug simple job.
4.6is X5 Estoril Blue (current)
4.4 X5 Sport Topaz Blue LPG (now gone squashed by a tree)
Subaru Outback 3.0 Rn Star Silver (current)
AMG 6.3 CLS Obsidian Black (sold)

Zakbelle

Post by Zakbelle » Wed Jul 09, 2014 4:55 pm

Sanj et al, looking at your wiring diagram, I am about to install my camera but have been speaking to the camera supplier who suggests that its not good to have their camera permanently powered as it will decrease the life. Do I need the -ve connection to pin 10 on the Blue connector? I'm a bit thick when it comes to Electrics so can I leave this off and just have power supplied to the camera via pin 17 when the relay is energised from the reverse light??

Cheers

Craig

Sanj
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Sanj » Wed Jul 09, 2014 5:17 pm

Go by the diagram first. Then when you know it all works, drop the connection to pin 10 and see what happens.

The camera will not die, mine has been on there 4 years now and no issue. It will be on only whilst the car is on.
Scn Protect,Alarm Chirp,Ashtray del,Sub install,IV2,Screens,PS2 Media,Chrome rings,Schnitzer pedals,Reverse cam,Silver Grills,F/mirrors,Comp Spkrs,Heated S/W,20"168s,Splash scn,Arches,Remap,LED Tails,ACS Spoiler,'is' Bumper Trim,Rear heated seats,Rear blinds

Zakbelle

Post by Zakbelle » Wed Jul 09, 2014 5:25 pm

Cheers will try that, I never do anything the easy way :)

Zakbelle

Post by Zakbelle » Mon Jul 14, 2014 2:16 pm

So I've had a go at doing this and have some issues, the camera I have has 4 built I LEDS around the lens and they are supposed to come on when the camera is activated but these are constantly powered (using the Wiring Diagram from Sanj). Should this be happening? well I know it shouldn't in reality but by using the wiring diagram will this happen, if so is there a way around this? I don't fancy flattening the battery through this. The camera manufacturer suggested using the relay wired like this using the +ve for switching rather than the -ve. what impact does this have on BMW X5 installs?

Cheers

Craig

Greydog

Post by Greydog » Tue Jul 15, 2014 7:49 am

Morning Craig
If you look at Sanj's drawing the Relay is powered from the Reverse lights. The Relay provides switched negative for the Monitor and Camera. The Camera power is provided from pin 1 of the Blue Video/TV unit.

When Reverse is selected the Relay is powered completing the circuit, Camera is on and Monitor switched to reverse mode.
Reverse not selected no power to the Relay no circuit so camera is off as is reverse mode for the Monitor.
If the ignition is off there is no power to the Relay or the Video unit so no power to the camera. As your LED's are integral to the Camera the same should apply to them.

I hope this makes sense
4.6is X5 Estoril Blue (current)
4.4 X5 Sport Topaz Blue LPG (now gone squashed by a tree)
Subaru Outback 3.0 Rn Star Silver (current)
AMG 6.3 CLS Obsidian Black (sold)

Zakbelle

Post by Zakbelle » Tue Jul 15, 2014 8:10 am

Thanks for that explanation, I don't know if I'm complicating things by taking my power supply from the PDC (as explained earlier in this thread). Will have another go today

Cheers

Craig

Sanj
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Sanj » Tue Jul 15, 2014 2:10 pm

I say exactly what Greydog said!  :-[

Be careful with the PDC for source, could cause disturbance to the camera picture (think that's why it wasn't recommended when I did mine).
Scn Protect,Alarm Chirp,Ashtray del,Sub install,IV2,Screens,PS2 Media,Chrome rings,Schnitzer pedals,Reverse cam,Silver Grills,F/mirrors,Comp Spkrs,Heated S/W,20"168s,Splash scn,Arches,Remap,LED Tails,ACS Spoiler,'is' Bumper Trim,Rear heated seats,Rear blinds

Zakbelle

Post by Zakbelle » Tue Jul 15, 2014 3:54 pm

Oh right will have another go, only chose the PDC source as someone said the CANBUS system on the lights can give interference

Sanj
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Sanj » Tue Jul 15, 2014 4:14 pm

[quote="Zakbelle"]
Oh right will have another go, only chose the PDC source as someone said the CANBUS system on the lights can give interference
[/quote]

Works for me...

Zakbelle

Post by Zakbelle » Tue Jul 15, 2014 4:17 pm

Hmm better start looking for my reverse light +ve now then ha ha

Zakbelle

Post by Zakbelle » Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:08 pm

Well having failed on that attempt and blowing a 5 amp fuse (thank god it wasn't the tv module) I think I'm gonna bin this camera or try it from the reverse light! It's the only camera with a resistor from 12-3.5v and common ground etc I've seen. Trust me to get something different