Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Reverse Camera Install (E53)

How-To articles ONLY go here.
SimplyRed

Re: Reverse Camera Install (E53)

Post by SimplyRed » Wed Nov 09, 2011 3:20 pm

Hi All,

I am new to this scene, always been an M3 owner and have now owned an X5 for 18 hours and I love it !! 2005 3.0d Sport. Sterling Grey.

Anyway, I love this modification but I just dont quite have the expertise or faith or DIY skills to do it.
Sanj, your write up makes it look so easy. I just know after 10 minutes of starting i will wish i didnt. :oops:

Can anyone recommend me someone in London (Enfield Area) who can do this for me.
I called my local A/V installers and they said that they have no idea how to make it work with existing screen.

If any of you would like to do mine I am happy to pay going rate, you'd probably do a better job too.

shadrack
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by shadrack » Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:48 pm

just reading this and will have to do it! whats the smallest camera and could it be monted on the bottom of the spoiler as i dont like the fact is visible lower down, also with the height it might be better to guage distance thanks
current: 2016 Vw Crafter
              2007 318d touring
              2008 Transit sport van            
              1964 vw beach buggy
              1988 e30 325i convertible

Sanj
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Sanj » Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:00 pm

No - not in the spoiler, no camera I could see small enough.

Where the boot latch is, is fine. I can see the bumper in mine. Perfect.
Scn Protect,Alarm Chirp,Ashtray del,Sub install,IV2,Screens,PS2 Media,Chrome rings,Schnitzer pedals,Reverse cam,Silver Grills,F/mirrors,Comp Spkrs,Heated S/W,20"168s,Splash scn,Arches,Remap,LED Tails,ACS Spoiler,'is' Bumper Trim,Rear heated seats,Rear blinds

shadrack
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by shadrack » Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:10 pm

well ill get a camera, i thought spoiler as i dont want to see the camera, but ill see might just put where you have, nice how to sanj, would maplin sell the cameras? im going near there tmoro?
              2007 318d touring
              2008 Transit sport van            
              1964 vw beach buggy

Sanj
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Sanj » Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:22 pm

Potentially - but don't hold your breath.

You need it to be similar in size to what I got 3rd time round. The recess it takes up means it must be small. eBay have them, not saying BMW specific, some say Toyota or such like, no bother, just make sure they're similar size looking. Plus look for metal and not plastic housing. Last better....

Don't go for the one's that come with the integrated reg plate light - too many stories of them showing up errors - plus you have to then get a bulb to match on the other side. Although for £2.50, no biggie - I have posted a link to them on this thread:

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=2874&p=29228&hilit=plate#p29228

SimplyRed hope this helps you too.
Scn Protect,Alarm Chirp,Ashtray del,Sub install,IV2,Screens,PS2 Media,Chrome rings,Schnitzer pedals,Reverse cam,Silver Grills,F/mirrors,Comp Spkrs,Heated S/W,20"168s,Splash scn,Arches,Remap,LED Tails,ACS Spoiler,'is' Bumper Trim,Rear heated seats,Rear blinds

X MAN

Post by X MAN » Thu Nov 10, 2011 2:15 am

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CAR-REAR-VIEW ... 3cbb27514c

Sanj - Having installed a camera in the boot release and given the measurements for the camera in the above link would you say this camera will fit in the boot release with respect to the depth at the back of the camera ?
05 X5 3.0d
Mods:H/s wheel.F/mirrors.Lumbar.Compass-remote r/v mirror.Rem ctrl.Bins holder.T90 Telestart.20"168's.Arches.Titan grills.Skid plate. P/O load floor.R/seat e/b/rest.R/blinds.H/rear seats.is r/bumper trim.chrome dials.car key mem.intravee.DSP.RV Cam.Dbl glazing.Ski bag,Rear blower

Sanj
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Sanj » Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:03 am

The camera is different in that it has a threaded collar so they intend for it to fit to a flat surface. In the description they reckon over the reg light lens. Not a good idea (MOT failure too I think).

I put mine in the recess where one of the 4 attaching screws are for the whole rear latch piece. Routing the wires is also easier from there.

Let me take a look later today (time permitting) and I'll drop you a PM...

Rusty
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Rusty » Thu Nov 10, 2011 8:08 pm

Following Shadrack's line of thought, and knowing how much cr@p gets sprayed on the back of the X on a damp road :( , should a camera be mounted behind the towbar hatch, would that be less prone to spray whilst being out of sight and giving a reasonable view of the bumper?

Food for thought.

Sent from my iPod device using Tapatalk
3.0d Sport Exclusive E53 CB with black comfort, pano, folding dimming mirrors, 20"ers, comms, xenons, focal sub, Intravee II, GSM heater........and so on.
Runabout - E92 3 Series Coupe

Sanj
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Sanj » Thu Nov 10, 2011 8:59 pm

Nope - that was my first attempt - read the thread your arse! :poke:

No way of telling how far you're from something as you have none of the car in frame buddy. I was looking at an image looking outward with no idea where anything was in proximity to my rear???

My camera has been on the car a LONG time, before this thread and it's pretty weather proof. Besides a new one isn't too hard to get a hold of, with some careful searching! :thumbsup:

Rusty
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Rusty » Fri Nov 11, 2011 1:58 am

[quote=""Sanj""]Nope - that was my first attempt - read the thread your arse! :poke: [/quote]
Now that's just not a nice thing to say now is it :(

[quote=""Sanj""]
I was looking at an image looking outward with no idea where anything was in proximity to my rear???
:thumbsup:[/quote]

Well, what can I say...... Prob because you had your head up it :rofl: lmfao :poke: :)

3.0d Sport Exclusive E53 CB with black comfort, pano, folding dimming mirrors, 20"ers, comms, xenons, focal sub, Intravee II, GSM heater........and so on.

Rusty
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Rusty » Fri Nov 11, 2011 1:59 am

Back to the previous post #53, can you not see the bumper at the top of the pic if the camera is mounted low, and is the spray problem reduced?

Sanj
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Sanj » Fri Nov 11, 2011 7:50 am

Nope and nope...

Rusty
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Rusty » Fri Nov 11, 2011 8:05 am

Oh

shadrack
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by shadrack » Thu Nov 17, 2011 7:43 pm

any body know what gaude wire i need for wiring my camera up?
              2007 318d touring
              2008 Transit sport van            
              1964 vw beach buggy

shadrack
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by shadrack » Sat Nov 19, 2011 3:53 pm

i went to do this and myn has no wires in pins 13 or 14 or one of the others, do i need to buy some pins with wire tails or have you still got some lez :D thanks
              2007 318d touring
              2008 Transit sport van            
              1964 vw beach buggy