Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Reverse Camera Install (E53)

How-To articles ONLY go here.
Sanj
Lifer
Lifer

Reverse Camera Install (E53)

Post by Sanj » Mon Aug 02, 2010 2:09 pm

If you have the comms pack with a screen up front it is possible to add a reverse camera. I tried 3 different cameras over the past couple of years and two different locations. I found having the camera mounted in the tow bar cover just wasn’t good to gauge distances. Besides it didn’t look OEM enough. I wanted to see my raer bumper in the reverse angle.

So this is what you’ll need:

1. The camera, my preference is this one

2. Some wiring cable and the wiring diagram ***Use this one***

I removed the rear boot release, 4 screws and then a connector inside to get access to where I wanted it mounted. Just above the rear number plate.

Here is the piece with the colour coded plastic cover removed and the cut outs I made to house the camera.

Once complete you should get something like this.

And the view that comes out on the screen when you select reverse (some cameras will give you the guidelines – they’re not particularly accurate, more a gimmick).

Here’s mine removed and then colour coded recently to match.

Total cost should be no more than £40. Not bad I reckon...
Last edited by Sanj on Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Scn Protect,Alarm Chirp,Ashtray del,Sub install,IV2,Screens,PS2 Media,Chrome rings,Schnitzer pedals,Reverse cam,Silver Grills,F/mirrors,Comp Spkrs,Heated S/W,20"168s,Splash scn,Arches,Remap,LED Tails,ACS Spoiler,'is' Bumper Trim,Rear heated seats,Rear blinds

fenj66

Re: Reverse Camera Install (E53)

Post by fenj66 » Fri Nov 26, 2010 6:43 pm

hi there,
i'm thinking of having a go at this mod soon....nice write up sanj!!
but ive a couple of questions:
do i need a pal or ntsc camera?
also on the ebay part;
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Car-Reverse-Rear- ... 447wt_1014

the fitting instruction make no mention of needing a relay. does their fitting instructions seam correct?

cheers all..
05 stirling grey 3.0d Auto. mods - park heater, reverse cam, aux in

Sanj
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Sanj » Fri Nov 26, 2010 9:08 pm

Hahaa! I was wondering when this would get you!

You need the relay to switch the power so at £3.49 or £5 at best do it. Be sure...

And that camera seems a little deep in the back where it would recess into the light holder - check that first, sorry I can't remember.

Does say 3 or 5 series so not specific to an X5 install - mine works with the instructions I posted...

If you can source the same or similar camera I would go with that. Good luck and keep me posted, will help where I can. :thumbsup:
Scn Protect,Alarm Chirp,Ashtray del,Sub install,IV2,Screens,PS2 Media,Chrome rings,Schnitzer pedals,Reverse cam,Silver Grills,F/mirrors,Comp Spkrs,Heated S/W,20"168s,Splash scn,Arches,Remap,LED Tails,ACS Spoiler,'is' Bumper Trim,Rear heated seats,Rear blinds

otas

Post by otas » Sat Dec 11, 2010 8:49 pm

[quote=""Sanj""]Hahaa! I was wondering when this would get you!

You need the relay to switch the power so at £3.49 or £5 at best do it. Be sure...

And that camera seems a little deep in the back where it would recess into the light holder - check that first, sorry I can't remember.

Does say 3 or 5 series so not specific to an X5 install - mine works with the instructions I posted...

If you can source the same or similar camera I would go with that. Good luck and keep me posted, will help where I can. :thumbsup:[/quote]

Hi Guys, great mod. Can you tell if the camera from factorykiss-uk fits? What is its viewing angle?
I have barrell type camera from another project with LED to provide light a night. It is 35mm dia. I was thinking about drilling the BMW badge in the middle of blue and white and mounting the camera there. Any comments? If it did not work, I could buy a new badge and cover up the hole.
I hope that you will laugh now, please do so. Where do I look for the TV module??? I am new to this car and there are so many comparments with boxes... :oops:
thanks
otto
Carbon black 3.0d exclusive, black ash, black leather 05 reg.

lezmtaylor

Post by lezmtaylor » Sun Dec 12, 2010 9:03 am

I drilled the bmw badge and fitted a barrel camera, don't look too bad , as has been seen at the Bristol meets.
No photos,can't do them.
Lez
2002. 4.4lpg,ledAE's,Xenons,paddleshift,compass mirror,inst rings,led int lights,rear camera,crystal tailights,eisenmann road exh,Schnitzer pedals,chrome indicators,colour co-ord headlamps & bonnet grilles,hualigim entertainment system.dash and rearcamera,comfort seats.hud,bull bars,engine instalube

Sanj
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Sanj » Sun Dec 12, 2010 10:09 am

Just remember you get no view of 'where' your car is in proximity to what your camera is looking at. So no idea of the distance.

Personal choice - I just didn't like it... (I went for the tow bar plastic cover - easier to replace than the badge - and route the wiring).

otas

Post by otas » Sun Dec 12, 2010 10:55 am

Hi Sanj, thanks for your comment. I am thinking about the camera postion, if it is higher and angled down to see the bumper. I have some spacers cut at an angle for the camera to look down. Where is the damn TV box?
thanks.

chas3

Post by chas3 » Sun Dec 12, 2010 11:29 am

[quote=""otas""]Where is the damn TV box?
thanks.[/quote]
It is down in the trunk, next to the battery, to the right hand side. You will have to take off the dome sitting over the battery and that black L shaped plastic cover that has "BMW" written over it.

Sanj
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Sanj » Sun Dec 12, 2010 12:46 pm

otas

Post by otas » Mon Dec 13, 2010 9:23 am

Thank you very much Sanj for the guidance AND picture, you rock!
otto

Nat

Post by Nat » Mon Dec 13, 2010 2:41 pm

Hi,

I bought an approved used X5 4.8 iS and it has a reversing camera.
However....................ive had an issue with the radio, where some of the stations dont play and the station name is pixelated .
Car went in on friday , to have a routine service and have the radio issue attended to.
The dealer has returned the car with the remarks that ............" the reversing camera has corrupted the nav unit " and because the camera is not a BMW camera, they are refusing to touch it.
Thats left me with a massive problem. I have a broken nav/radio unit, car is not repaireable under warranty even though I was sold it by a BMW main dealer with a BMW AUC with the camera fitted at the time of sale.

Basically if you have a BMW warranty or perhaps any aftermarket warranty and your nav/radio unit fails, they may well use the fact that you have a non BMW part fitted as an excuse not to pay for repair.

That said, i like the reversing camera and its a very useful adddition.

Regards

Nat.

lezmtaylor

Post by lezmtaylor » Mon Dec 13, 2010 3:20 pm

They sold it 'as is' so it is their problem big time, go and screw them !!!
Gosh I'm really feeling Bolshie today.
Lez
2002. 4.4lpg,ledAE's,Xenons,paddleshift,compass mirror,inst rings,led int lights,rear camera,crystal tailights,eisenmann road exh,Schnitzer pedals,chrome indicators,colour co-ord headlamps & bonnet grilles,hualigim entertainment system.dash and rearcamera,comfort seats.hud,bull bars,engine instalube

lezmtaylor

Post by lezmtaylor » Mon Dec 13, 2010 3:27 pm

[quote=""lezmtaylor""]I drilled the bmw badge and fitted a barrel camera, don't look too bad , as has been seen at the Bristol meets.
No photos,can't do them.
Lez[/quote]

You can easily get a reference point of the bumper by adjusting the angle of the camera body in the hole.
Lez

x555
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by x555 » Mon Dec 13, 2010 6:14 pm

[quote=""Nat""]Hi,

I bought an approved used X5 4.8 iS and it has a reversing camera.
However....................ive had an issue with the radio, where some of the stations dont play and the station name is pixelated .
Car went in on friday , to have a routine service and have the radio issue attended to.
The dealer has returned the car with the remarks that ............" the reversing camera has corrupted the nav unit " and because the camera is not a BMW camera, they are refusing to touch it.
Thats left me with a massive problem. I have a broken nav/radio unit, car is not repaireable under warranty even though I was sold it by a BMW main dealer with a BMW AUC with the camera fitted at the time of sale.

Basically if you have a BMW warranty or perhaps any aftermarket warranty and your nav/radio unit fails, they may well use the fact that you have a non BMW part fitted as an excuse not to pay for repair.

That said, i like the reversing camera and its a very useful adddition.

Regards

Nat.[/quote]

Unless they stated any of that bs at the time of purchase i would take the car sraight back and tell them that they didn't sell you a car with proper bmw parts so it's there fault and there problem to sort.
If they don't i would ask them to take the car back and see what they say then.
That is unbelievable customer service that :headbang: :headbang:
Out of interest where was it bought from so no one else here gives them the buisness they don't deserve. :roll:
54 PLATE E53 3.0d X5 FACELIFT BLACK WITH BLACK

Sanj
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Sanj » Mon Dec 13, 2010 9:26 pm

Hi Nat,

Hope you get this sorted but you're dealer is the first to suggest the camera is causing your SatNav fault??? No one else in the last 3 years has had any reason otherwise...

Wiring is an obvious issue to look at but I wouldn't hold much hope for the $tealer to figure this out.

I have the OEM camera docs somewhere, if you can post up a pic of your camera install I can see if it is OEM or not. If OEM at least you can go back to the dealer with that - they did do an OEM kit is the US...

Use x555's angle here - they are wrong not to help. Use the warranty to your advantage and fight it out - give them hell! They sold it to you as seen - they have to cover it all!

Feedback and I'll try to help (if I can)....