Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Rotational Vibration under load - Any Help Appreciated

Discuss your latest mods or ideas, and anything to do with the BMW X5 (E53).
Raj
Lifer
Lifer

Rotational Vibration under load - Any Help Appreciated

Post by Raj » Fri Jan 31, 2014 3:03 pm

Well, where do I start.

Had the driveshafts replaced September last year and after a few weeks started getting this rotational vibration. Very light at low speeds but increases somewhat at higher speeds. The vibration can be felt through the floor at the front and in the steering wheel too tbh.

If cruising at 70 say and you take foot off the accelerator it dies down considerable too.

I've had the driveshafts replaced as they were covered by warranty as obviously that was the first port of call. Then the second set have been replaced yet again but with OE quality parts as the one popped out the diff (not good really).

Now with decent driveshafts in I've still got this really annoying vibration and I've had a few people look at it to try and work out.

We've discount the suspension and all the bushes at the front. Also the brakes, balancing and driveshafts.

Remaining possible causes are diff, transfer box, gearbox, propshaft, etc.

And as you can see the possible causes are all bloody expensive to replace on the hope it will cure it.

Any ideas???????
Last edited by Raj on Fri Jan 31, 2014 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

stevox5

Re: Rotational Vibration under load - Any Help Appreciated

Post by stevox5 » Fri Jan 31, 2014 3:46 pm

Hi Raj

Did this occur since you changed to different rims or was it the same with your previous wheels?

Any chance you have a brake binding slightly?

Any other symptoms ?
X5 3.0i Topaz Blue , Paddle shift steering wheel , Pioneer double din sat nav,Alpine speaker upgrade,  Remap, HID's,20inch lemans alloys,lemans arch kit,Depo light kit,carbon fiber interior wrap.
1989 BMW 325i SPORT E30 Fully equiped summer toy.

Raj
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Raj » Fri Jan 31, 2014 4:26 pm

[quote="stevox5"]
Hi Raj

Did this occur since you changed to different rims or was it the same with your previous wheels?

Any chance you have a brake binding slightly?

Any other symptoms ?
[/quote]

Hi Steve,

Rims were on before so it's not that. I even tried the Alpina's and was still the same.

Brakes appear to be all ok as again we have checked them too.

That's kind of all the symptoms tbh.

Well actually you can feel it change when going over bumps etc too…hmmmm.

I was wondering if wheel bearings would do this but again all the mechs that have seen it have said no...

Cheers,

Raj.
Last edited by Raj on Fri Jan 31, 2014 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Fri Jan 31, 2014 5:15 pm

Engine Mounts OK?  Gearbox mounts?  Not sure if they are flexible but the power on/off difference just made me think of items that would change loading with throttle

Just trying to think of anything you haven't.  Was going to suggest wheels out of true - even if balanced - but that should show up whether power on or off.  Any tyre issues?

I would have thought the prop shaft balance etc would still be felt as long as it was rotating power setting independent, but I've been wrong before.

Richard
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

shadrack
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by shadrack » Fri Jan 31, 2014 5:27 pm

Propshaft donut? Can split and get progressively worse
current: 2016 Vw Crafter
              2007 318d touring
              2008 Transit sport van            
              1964 vw beach buggy
              1988 e30 325i convertible

Raj
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Raj » Fri Jan 31, 2014 8:23 pm

[quote="X5Sport"]
Engine Mounts OK?  Gearbox mounts?  Not sure if they are flexible but the power on/off difference just made me think of items that would change loading with throttle

Just trying to think of anything you haven't.  Was going to suggest wheels out of true - even if balanced - but that should show up whether power on or off.  Any tyre issues?

I would have thought the prop shaft balance etc would still be felt as long as it was rotating power setting independent, but I've been wrong before.

Richard
[/quote]

Hi Richard,

I took the X over to Chris @ Centre Gravity as he's a real expert at geo/suspension/etc and he tested the suspension on some very clever equipment he has. Also checked engine mounts etc too and all seems ok.

Raj
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Raj » Fri Jan 31, 2014 8:24 pm

[quote="shadrack"]
Propshaft donut? Can split and get progressively worse
[/quote]

Have looked at those and again they actually look pretty good with no signs of real wear/cracks etc.

Raj
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Raj » Fri Jan 31, 2014 8:25 pm

Oh and it appears I have a very, very small leak from the pan gasket on the bottom of the gearbox.....great.

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Fri Jan 31, 2014 8:42 pm

Have you tried turning down those subs of yours? :music:  Could be sympathetic harmonic vibrations from Bangra?

Only kidding.....

What about loose engine/underbody shields?  Used to see Sierras and Mondeos going along with plastic flapping so just wondering if one of the covers underneath has lost a clip?

Can't be much else left - except a 'square' wheel.

Richard

Raj
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Raj » Fri Jan 31, 2014 9:02 pm

Lol Rich.

Tbh undertrays all fine etc.

If it's not wheel bearings then I'm starting to think front diff. But at £1100 odd plus fitting its a big hit without knowing if it will cure it.

I'm thinking with the fact I have a small gearbox leak and having 120k on the clock I might need to get a full gearbox rebuild done (£1600 odd too). My thinking with that is its gonna cost me a fair bit just get the oil changed with new gasket and whatever else and then if the stories are true the new thin oil could actually cause further gearbox issues meaning it'll need doing anyway. So suddenly looking at £3k+ aghhhh

shadrack
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by shadrack » Fri Jan 31, 2014 10:10 pm

Ive done donuts on a few bmws now not x5s but the crack can be very hard to spot without removal.  Is it possible to get strapped on a rolling road or similar so you vould run it at vibration speed and look/ listen at same time? Just before you start throwing £££s at the big stuff
current: 2016 Vw Crafter
              2007 318d touring
              2008 Transit sport van            
              1964 vw beach buggy
              1988 e30 325i convertible

holidaychicken

Post by holidaychicken » Sat Feb 01, 2014 8:50 pm

hi all, i am a filthy range rover owner but have been getting some help off a few of your members, Richard included, as i think i am right in saying the RR and the X5 are the same underneath, mine is the 4.4 petrol.

it might be worth googling the L322 for the same problem as it could be the donut as you say, the RR's all have had a front  diff recall to add a flexible joint in at the front to stop the diff splines failing i think but all sorts of other problems can cause this on rr's from mud on the prop shafts, suspension bushes, warped brake discs and sticking calipers, over size wheels, and also out of balance wheels,  as this seems to be common, but probably not in your case if you have tried another set.

i also rebuilt the transmission, with a lot of help, which again i think will be the ZF units, if yours is a 4.4, or GM for the tractors, i mean diesel, as i also had a small oil leak but i had the annoying torque converter lock up clutch rumble as well but thats at slower speeds than 55.

i think if its not wheels then my money would be on the donut, especially if its worse under load

crash

Post by crash » Sat Feb 01, 2014 10:24 pm

Raj,

Will be following this with interest as i seem to be suffering the exact same issues as yourself!  :(

I have noticed that the noise increases further going uphill as well as when accelerating, yet as you have mentioned backs off to almost non existent when you lift off the throttle!

After replacing bushes, ball joints, one wheel bearing, full set of star rated tyres and a full alignment i am now on to the flexi joint for the next in line for replacement.

Not had a look under there yet but i assume the X5 has some sort of central support bearing that could also be the issue!

Ash

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Sat Feb 01, 2014 11:04 pm

Donut on both forward and rear props and yes the rear has a support bearing.

3.0D diagram as an example.  4.8is is the same.

Richard
Last edited by X5Sport on Sat Feb 01, 2014 11:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

crash

Post by crash » Sat Feb 01, 2014 11:13 pm

Thanks Richard,

Forgot to mention mine is a 3.0D so that diagram is more than helpful  :ok:

Will have to find somewhere to get the parts and get them changed next week.

Regards

Ash