Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

To buy or not to buy?

Mpower

Re: To buy or not to buy?

Post by Mpower » Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:04 pm

Update,

Going on Sunday to a not so local dealership(because the one that's 5minutes from my house is rude,unprofessional lost the sales to 1 Mini Cooper and 2 X5;E53 & E70) to have an first hand experience with the new F15.

Hopefully they won't have the M50d there to throw me off course,from phone conversation the salewoman(it's a 1st for me I know) she is keen for the business hopefully I can persuade her to give me an extended test drive.

Is it normal for the sales to ask what options you have in mind even though I said upfront I'm just testing the water with the F15 and not even seen one in the metal yet?

Lee

Mpower

Post by Mpower » Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:26 pm

Btw you guys that have ordered I congratulate you all and nice options added,there are some interesting options in the new F15 hopefully the sales woman is clued up on them as I don't want miss out because of lack of knowledge.

Options on my list ATM are:

Adaptive LED headlights
Power boot
20"alloys
HUD
Surround view
Reverse cam
Driving assist plus
Internet
Harmon kardon
Pano roof
Comfort seats
Comfort access
Extended storage
Folding wing mirrors
Service plan
Sun pro glass
Speed limit display

Eaglesrest

Post by Eaglesrest » Wed Mar 12, 2014 8:27 am

[quote="Mpower"]
Btw you guys that have ordered I congratulate you all and nice options added,there are some interesting options in the new F15 hopefully the sales woman is clued up on them as I don't want miss out because of lack of knowledge.

Adaptive LED headlights
Power boot
20"alloys
HUD
Surround view
Reverse cam
Driving assist plus
Internet
Harmon kardon
Pano roof
Comfort seats
Comfort access
Extended storage
Folding wing mirrors
Service plan
Sun pro glass
Speed limit display
[/quote]
Nice spec. The dealer was probably testing the water to see how serious about the purchase you are.

Make sure they spec the car as a post April build when pricing it up, as Driving Assistant Plus has been reduced in price, and Heated Seats are now standard, plus you'll get the more advanced TPMS.

Isn't power boot standard?

worsy

Post by worsy » Wed Mar 12, 2014 8:55 am

[quote="Eaglesrest"]
Nice colour combo - same as mine, but you made a better engine and wheel choice ;)

Spec looks good but i'd personally dump the night vision for surround cameras and harmon kardon, and/or drive assist plus. Personal preference of course, but if you live in the sticks and need to watch out for elk, night vision might make sense.
[/quote]

Gone with the night vision as it gives me something new over my E70. I had the surround cameras on my E70 and never used them. H&K is expensive especially when you are listenming to 192kbps MP3 :) I live in rural Shropshire so might be worth it.

worsy

Post by worsy » Wed Mar 12, 2014 8:57 am

[quote="Eaglesrest"]
[quote="Mpower"]

Adaptive LED headlights
Power boot
20"alloys
HUD
Surround view
Reverse cam
Driving assist plus
Internet
Harmon kardon
Pano roof
Comfort seats
Comfort access
Extended storage
Folding wing mirrors
Service plan
Sun pro glass
Speed limit display
[/quote]
Nice spec. The dealer was probably testing the water to see how serious about the purchase you are.

Make sure they spec the car as a post April build when pricing it up, as Driving Assistant Plus has been reduced in price, and Heated Seats are now standard, plus you'll get the more advanced TPMS.

[/quote]

Yes power boot is standard. BTW I managed 8% off from a dealer 100 miles away (used to live there). DtD is 9% and coupled witha  good bid on my partex am happy with that.

Mpower

Post by Mpower » Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:05 am

Power boot is standard on the F15 ,I'm aiming for September delivery but from experience months after that BMW tend to release better deals in December because of the lull in business.

Mpower

Post by Mpower » Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:11 am

[quote="worsy"]
[quote="Eaglesrest"]
[quote="Mpower"]

Adaptive LED headlights
Power boot
20"alloys
HUD
Surround view
Reverse cam
Driving assist plus
Internet
Harmon kardon
Pano roof
Comfort seats
Comfort access
Extended storage
Folding wing mirrors
Service plan
Sun pro glass
Speed limit display
[/quote]

[/quote]

Yes power boot is standard. BTW I managed 8% off from a dealer 100 miles away (used to live there). DtD is 9% and coupled witha  good bid on my partex am happy with that.
[/quote]

That's a good percentage off It's definitely worth travelling for a good deal,who are DtD?

Pm me if you want?

Eaglesrest

Post by Eaglesrest » Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:12 am

[quote="worsy"]
[quote="Eaglesrest"]
Nice colour combo - same as mine, but you made a better engine and wheel choice ;)

Spec looks good but i'd personally dump the night vision for surround cameras and harmon kardon, and/or drive assist plus. Personal preference of course, but if you live in the sticks and need to watch out for elk, night vision might make sense.
[/quote]

Gone with the night vision as it gives me something new over my E70. I had the surround cameras on my E70 and never used them. H&K is expensive especially when you are listenming to 192kbps MP3 :) I live in rural Shropshire so might be worth it.
[/quote]

Understand about the surround view, I didn't order it on the assumption I can park fine, but it would have been useful to get parking right first time every time I think.

The H&K is only £400 more than the advanced speaker pack, or £360 with a decent discount. Good value for a surround sound system, even if the source sucks ;)

With regards to cool new features, the Driving Assistant Plus pack includes active cruise stop n go, and is excellent, and Traffic Jam Assist, where the car drives itself on motorways up to 25mph. Something a bit different but you have to try it to see if you like it. I love DA+, it makes journeys much less stressful and safer.

I got 8% off mine and above book on the part-ex in November 13. Must be better deals to be had now its been out a while, and winter has passed without a trace.

worsy

Post by worsy » Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:24 am

DtD - Drive the Deal
www.drivethedeal.com

Mpower

Post by Mpower » Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:24 am

I think from past purchases I've regretted not ordering certain options due to ill educated sales hence from forums like this I'm getting the idea what options are a must-have and a better understanding what they actually perform.

Mpower

Post by Mpower » Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:27 am

Never tried them DtD how was the experience,did you go pick up at the dealership or they delivered to your doorstep?

Mpower

Post by Mpower » Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:31 am

Just been on DtD they don't do part exchange?

Eaglesrest

Post by Eaglesrest » Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:35 am

Apologies, I'm confusing options with posters, as there are 2 separate threads within this thread doh!

Here's a review of the options I ordered, post delivery. I've put a star next to the must have options:

*Comfort Seats - found my sweet spot already. They are really comfortable, even more so than on my previous F11. One downer, the centre armrest padding is a bit thin, so feels less comfortable.

Active Security Package: Dynamic Safety, Ext Folding and auto dimming mirrors, Lane Change Warning System - All works as expected. The lane change vibration is more subtle than I expected and isn't a pain. The dynamic safety tightens up your seatbelt as you are driving off to remind you its working.

*Driving Assistant Plus with ACC + Traffic Jam Assistant - the ACC works much better than on my F11. It keeps track of vehicles going round bends better, stays closer to the vehicle in-front, very little lag when resuming, and overall inspires more confidence than the previous gen. TJA is good but wish it would A) not require 2 fingers on the steering wheel, B) work at speeds> 25mph say 40mph, C) work on normal roads and not just motorways (where the camera can pickup correct lane markings of course) and D) work on narrow lanes

*ConnectedDrive Services - all works well. Can't get my head around iPhone apps. Who wants to keep connecting their phone to a USB cable everytime they get in the car? This should work via BT, or Wireless. RTTI is excellent. BEWARE - You need to order this to get most of the remote services to work.

Harmon Kardon - it's good but is source dependant. On balance glad I got it, but would swap it for HUD or Surround Cameras with hindsight

*Pano Glass sunroof -love it! It's not exactly suntan weather but I've been driving round with it open just because I can

Sun protection glass - just is

Third Row Seating - I'm 6'1 and reckon I could sit back there for 20-30 mins at a push, longer if there was no-one sat next to me. The middle row seats slide forward to give more space.

*Adaptive Headlights with HBA (Xenons) - awesome feature, very responsive to dip individual beams while maintaining High Beams. Great value. Note you don't need LED to get the advanced Anti-dazzle High Beam Assistance, a potential £1k cost saving

Internet - not played with it much. Not sure how useful it will be seeing as I'll have the iPhone with me, and it doesn't work at speed. In the UK it's now a 3G connection, and it's noticeably faster compared with the previous GPRS connection.

*Heated Front Seats -very warm, very quickly

Heated Steering Wheel - the new M-Sport steering wheel feels much nicer than the F15 SE Sport wheel, which is what I had in my F11. Much more tactile. Unfortunately it doesn't get as warm as the older wheel design. Not sure if it's just mine or others have the same 'issue'?

Reverse Assist Camera - very good, though its got smudges already

Comfort Access - working well so far, but with a blip. I was winding up my oldest daughter by asking her to open it when locked without a key. She couldn't of course, but I then stood next to my youngest and she opened it NP. She really couldn't figure out how come her younger sister could open it so easily. Anyway whatever she did trying to get it open, the CA stopped working on that door. The jokes on me I guess, damn! All the other doors and trunk worked fine. I left it a few hours, tried again, and it's working again, and has worked without issue since. Phew, but weird.

19" alloys - aesthetically they don't look as good as the 20's but the compromise is cheaper and easier to source tyres, plus better ride quality. Unfortunately it came with summer tyres so I'm going to need a winter setup after all  Debating whether to get wheel and tyre package, or just tyres. For reference for UK customers the summer tyres I have are Continental ContiSportContact 5 SUV SSR.

DTD are a broker and will put you in touch with a BMW dealer, which might well be Trainer BMW in Swansea. You negotiate with them directly re part-ex BMW finance, delivery etc. I personally find its best to use DTD to batter your local dealers.

Mpower

To buy or not to buy?

Post by Mpower » Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:46 am

[quote="Eaglesrest"]
Apologies, I'm confusing options with posters, as there are 2 separate threads within this thread doh!

Here's a review of the options I ordered, post delivery. I've put a star next to the must have options:

*Comfort Seats - found my sweet spot already. They are really comfortable, even more so than on my previous F11. One downer, the centre armrest padding is a bit thin, so feels less comfortable.

Active Security Package: Dynamic Safety, Ext Folding and auto dimming mirrors, Lane Change Warning System - All works as expected. The lane change vibration is more subtle than I expected and isn't a pain. The dynamic safety tightens up your seatbelt as you are driving off to remind you its working.

*Driving Assistant Plus with ACC + Traffic Jam Assistant - the ACC works much better than on my F11. It keeps track of vehicles going round bends better, stays closer to the vehicle in-front, very little lag when resuming, and overall inspires more confidence than the previous gen. TJA is good but wish it would A) not require 2 fingers on the steering wheel, B) work at speeds> 25mph say 40mph, C) work on normal roads and not just motorways (where the camera can pickup correct lane markings of course) and D) work on narrow lanes

*ConnectedDrive Services - all works well. Can't get my head around iPhone apps. Who wants to keep connecting their phone to a USB cable everytime they get in the car? This should work via BT, or Wireless. RTTI is excellent. BEWARE - You need to order this to get most of the remote services to work.

Harmon Kardon - it's good but is source dependant. On balance glad I got it, but would swap it for HUD or Surround Cameras with hindsight

*Pano Glass sunroof -love it! It's not exactly suntan weather but I've been driving round with it open just because I can

Sun protection glass - just is

Third Row Seating - I'm 6'1 and reckon I could sit back there for 20-30 mins at a push, longer if there was no-one sat next to me. The middle row seats slide forward to give more space.

*Adaptive Headlights with HBA (Xenons) - awesome feature, very responsive to dip individual beams while maintaining High Beams. Great value. Note you don't need LED to get the advanced Anti-dazzle High Beam Assistance, a potential £1k cost saving

Internet - not played with it much. Not sure how useful it will be seeing as I'll have the iPhone with me, and it doesn't work at speed. In the UK it's now a 3G connection, and it's noticeably faster compared with the previous GPRS connection.

*Heated Front Seats -very warm, very quickly

Heated Steering Wheel - the new M-Sport steering wheel feels much nicer than the F15 SE Sport wheel, which is what I had in my F11. Much more tactile. Unfortunately it doesn't get as warm as the older wheel design. Not sure if it's just mine or others have the same 'issue'?

Reverse Assist Camera - very good, though its got smudges already

Comfort Access - working well so far, but with a blip. I was winding up my oldest daughter by asking her to open it when locked without a key. She couldn't of course, but I then stood next to my youngest and she opened it NP. She really couldn't figure out how come her younger sister could open it so easily. Anyway whatever she did trying to get it open, the CA stopped working on that door. The jokes on me I guess, damn! All the other doors and trunk worked fine. I left it a few hours, tried again, and it's working again, and has worked without issue since. Phew, but weird.

19" alloys - aesthetically they don't look as good as the 20's but the compromise is cheaper and easier to source tyres, plus better ride quality. Unfortunately it came with summer tyres so I'm going to need a winter setup after all  Debating whether to get wheel and tyre package, or just tyres. For reference for UK customers the summer tyres I have are Continental ContiSportContact 5 SUV SSR.

DTD are a broker and will put you in touch with a BMW dealer, which might well be Trainer BMW in Swansea. You negotiate with them directly re part-ex BMW finance, delivery etc. I personally find its best to use DTD to batter your local dealers.
[/quote]

Thanks mate that's an very good explanation /review of most of the options I want,good points on the adaptive xenons instead of LED version.
Last edited by Mpower on Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

worsy

Post by worsy » Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:27 am

[quote="Mpower"]
Just been on DtD they don't do part exchange?
[/quote]

The BMW dealer they put you in touch with may do though. Usually that applies to cross manufacturer ordering. The DtD price gives you a bargaining tool.

CarWow also have started doing BMW now and they will do part ex. The best I got from them was 6% though.