Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Windscreen replacement

kenniff

Windscreen replacement

Post by kenniff » Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:25 am

So, I got a crack on my windscreen from a stone or something in the road being thrown up by another vehicle. Within 10 minutes it had spread from the initial point of impact to a crack 3 inches long, so no chance of a repair.

Still I thought, not the end of the world, I'll get the windscreen replaced. I thought about getting it done privately until Autoglass told me it would be £752  :o

So then I thought I'll just pay the £100 xs on my insurance and do it through them. That's not a problem. The problem is that having arranged it through Autoglass almost 2 weeks ago, the delivery timescale for the rubber top surround is 2nd May! :'(

I couldnt believe it so checked with BMW and apparently yes, there aren't any in the country and they are not expected in Germany until 25 April.

Luckily for me, the crack is at the very side (passenger) of the screen and hasn't moved since it happened, so the vehicle remains usable. Hard to believe though that if the windscreen was properly broken it would keep my car off the road for a whole month!

OK, rant over
Current: M50i arctic grey (G05)
Previous: RRS P400 HST, F15 M50d,F15 30d Msport, E70 35d Msport, 530i, Boxster, 330Ci Sport Vectra GSi, Chevrolet Lumina, Vxl Astras

It'll be allright in the end. If it isn't allright it isn't the end

Nat

Re: Windscreen replacement

Post by Nat » Fri Apr 11, 2014 1:21 pm

Hi,

Welcome to the modern world. No one keeps any stock of anything these days, & certainly not manufacturers. Everyone works to " just in time " these days.
Inventory ties up capital, same with warehousing, packaging, security, utility bills,rent etc etc. Its all about the cost.
Much easier to mail your part direct to you from the supplier, assuming they have one.......which in your case they dont seem to have and they have to make one.( hence the delay )
I went to a manufacturer not that long ago. It works like this. ................they decide they are going to produce 40 cars that day. So they ring goodyear @ 7.00 am ( or whoever ) and say I need 160 tyres here by 9.00 am. For every minute the delivery is late they fine them . I kid you not. Same with many other components. Some of course cannot be magically made to appear @ very short notice. Thats why component suppliers locate themselves in close proximity to manufacturers.
All I can say is Im glad im not in that business, because I would tell them to *** off, arrogant  *******. I guess goodyear ( or whoever ) is saddled with the cost because they must hold stocks to be able to supply quantity @ short notice. It means the car manufacturer has much lower costs , and the added costs goodyear have are paid by the consumers @ tyre replacement time.
Its ALL about money, but I guess you knew that all along.
Regards,
Nat.

pvr
Lifer
Lifer

Post by pvr » Fri Apr 11, 2014 1:24 pm

Autoglass would not replace mine (E70), so BMW did it for me just costing my excess.
X5M F85,  Golf Clipper, Abarth 595 Competizioni, Jeep

911 50th anniversary -
Site & Forum Admin Team Member.

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Fri Apr 11, 2014 1:25 pm

Aviva paid for my windscreen to be fitted by BMW as the car was under warranty......and it was about £700 then too.

BMW insisted that unless the screen was fitted in accordance with their system then the warranty for paint, trim and electronics below the screen would no longer be covered by warranty.  They did this twice when the car was still under initial warranty and Aviva paid me after I paid BMW. 

No problems with either claim, just took the excess off.  Aviva were told that if they insisted on their screen replacement fitter then they would be liable for any warranty issues later and those could be VERY expensive.  They accepted that  :)

Richard
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

kenniff

Post by kenniff » Fri Apr 11, 2014 2:40 pm

Interesting - it wouldnt have occurred to me that it might affect my warranty.

My insurer (Esure) will only pay me £100 if i don't use Autoglass, so I will be using Autoglass and hoping that there are no warranty issues. If there are then I suppose I'll see what BMW says (assuming they notice the W/s has been replaced as it is BMW glass and BMW fittings being used). If there's a problem at that stage then Esure and Autoglass will be in my sights.

Could get messy or could never happen... fingers crossed :)

As for "just in time", is that not "just a month too late"? One wonders how they are managing to find the part to attach to the new cars they are currently making...
Previous: RRS P400 HST, F15 M50d,F15 30d Msport, E70 35d Msport, 530i, Boxster, 330Ci Sport Vectra GSi, Chevrolet Lumina, Vxl Astras

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Fri Apr 11, 2014 2:51 pm

That's where all the parts are.......in the US!  :)

The way BMW knew about mine was that the repairer (Autoglass) used Pilkington screens when the OEM was Semperit.  Not a problem you are going to have though.  The only warranty issue that BMW told me was about water ingress through a bad seal - which was very unlikely I would have thought unless I did summat silly while the bonding agent set.  It takes 6-8 hours to cure and the car was not moved in the dealership during that period to make sure it cured.

Some repairers say you can drive the car within an hour but don't shut any doors with the windows all closed as it can cause the screen to 'pop' off it's glue.

Modern cars have bonded screens because they are integral to the overall structural rigidity of the bodyshell, hence the glue being needed to cure properly.

Richard
Last edited by X5Sport on Fri Apr 11, 2014 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

kenniff

Post by kenniff » Thu May 01, 2014 12:00 pm

Thanks Richard... still no sign of my windscreen being replaced :)

catflap

Post by catflap » Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:25 pm

[quote="X5Sport"]
That's where all the parts are.......in the US!  :)

The way BMW knew about mine was that the repairer (Autoglass) used Pilkington screens when the OEM was Semperit.  Not a problem you are going to have though.  The only warranty issue that BMW told me was about water ingress through a bad seal - which was very unlikely I would have thought unless I did summat silly while the bonding agent set.  It takes 6-8 hours to cure and the car was not moved in the dealership during that period to make sure it cured.

Some repairers say you can drive the car within an hour but don't shut any doors with the windows all closed as it can cause the screen to 'pop' off it's glue.

Modern cars have bonded screens because they are integral to the overall structural rigidity of the bodyshell, hence the glue being needed to cure properly.

Richard
[/quote]

Makes you wonder how the original glass is fitted in the factory, watching the assembly video on Youtube one robot applies the sealant and the next robot just sticks the screen in the hole and secures it with a couple of strips of what looks like gaffer tape from the roof onto the top of the glass and the car carries on down the line. Doesn't look like they feel the need to leave the car stationary for hours on end...