Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Navigation Identification

Discuss your latest mods or ideas, and anything to do with the BMW X5 (E53).
7builder

Post by 7builder » Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:20 pm

I am trying to figure out what version of navigation system I have in my E53 and need some input from the knowledgeable ones (you lot).
1) How do you figure out what firmware version is running, I cannot see anything referring to V31, V32 etc?
2) As I have a DVD system can I assume I have a Mk4 system?

I have read lots about customised systems running POI's, 3D layout, camera warnings and postcode input. Are these tweaks to the firmware or to the map DVD's?

I am running the following map DVD version, which I guess is way out of date now.

I understand the forum rules so I am not expecting information on how to get hold of "unofficial" copies of updated maps I just need input on exactly what I currently have so I can figure out my options moving forward.

Sanj
Lifer
Lifer

Re: New 2 bmw

Post by Sanj » Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:04 am

You have a DVD system, then you have MK4. You want these extras then it's an unofficial route, with a firmware upgrade to v32 AND THEN a newer map disc. No idea how you get a hold of them.
Last edited by Sanj on Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Scn Protect,Alarm Chirp,Ashtray del,Sub install,IV2,Screens,PS2 Media,Chrome rings,Schnitzer pedals,Reverse cam,Silver Grills,F/mirrors,Comp Spkrs,Heated S/W,20"168s,Splash scn,Arches,Remap,LED Tails,ACS Spoiler,'is' Bumper Trim,Rear heated seats,Rear blinds

7builder

Re: Navigation Identification

Post by 7builder » Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:11 am

Hi Sanj,

How can I tell what firmware version I am on? I have not seen anything that refers to V31, V32 or anything similar.

Paul

Sanj
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Sanj » Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:31 pm

Have a read through thisthread.  :)

Just remember this site does not endorse anything but original discs from a BMW dealership.
Last edited by Sanj on Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Scn Protect,Alarm Chirp,Ashtray del,Sub install,IV2,Screens,PS2 Media,Chrome rings,Schnitzer pedals,Reverse cam,Silver Grills,F/mirrors,Comp Spkrs,Heated S/W,20"168s,Splash scn,Arches,Remap,LED Tails,ACS Spoiler,'is' Bumper Trim,Rear heated seats,Rear blinds

mennie

Post by mennie » Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:50 pm

What Sanj says and also the BMW Navigation Buyer Guide, for example the one found here.
Aug '00 X5 E53 (M54)

7builder

Post by 7builder » Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:09 pm

Thanks guys, I will take a look at the info when I get home tonight.
I fully understand the situation with regard to genuine and original map disks and wouldn't expect anyone to do or say anything to cause issues for themselves or this forum. Having said that am I correct in thinking that firmware updates, OEM or customised variants are a different matter and more open to change? I say this because there seem to be quite a few "firmware upgrade" discussions on this and other BMW forums.

There's a lot to learn about these cars so please forgive me if I am asking stoopid questions or treading where I really shouldn't on the subject of all things navigation.

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:28 pm

I don't think the firmware upgrades are such an issue as the er..hem..map discs.  I may be wrong and get slapped by the mods as a result.  V32 is the last version issued by BMW and I don't think that has been modded.

Legit map discs are issued (or were issued) twice a year at around £100 a pop from Dealers, hence the 'other' market.  The current one should cover the whole of Europe and should be 2014-1.

It's worse in later cars as the official updates are £300 a set and you need a new VIN linked licence key every time.

Be careful where you get the firmware updates from as a bad disc can and has on occasions 'bricked' the nav computer.

Richard
Last edited by X5Sport on Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

7builder

Post by 7builder » Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:07 pm

Hi Richard I have no desire to brick my navigation system so will not be attempting anything foolish. Besides it would appear I am running V32 already so there is nothing to upgrade to as far as I can see.
I suppose there are customised firmware images out there if you want to add POI's, night colours etc. The only thing I feel my sat nav is missing is the ability to input 7 digit postcodes. A right pain in the arse to be honest.
I have a TomTom sat nav to hand but must admit I do like using the integrated system if possible.

CondorX5
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by CondorX5 » Fri Apr 25, 2014 7:12 pm

I keep a TomTom Live on in the car as the traffic updates are a LOT better than the old TMS system which tends to tell you about traffic jams once you are in them!    You can input a partial postcode on the later versions of the BMW nav, but its not as fully functional as a £100 TomTom sadly.  There is some sort of roundabout way of inputting entire postcodes if you go down the modified route, but its so cumbersome and in my opinion, not worth potentially ruining the unit.

Richard - the updates are no longer £100 BTW!    Gone up a bit since those days!
X5 2005 Le Mans Blue 4.8is
Fully loaded but Now semi-retired! 

X5 2012 Alpine White 40d MSport 21" style 215 black alloys, rear entertainment, media package, comfort seats and a load of other options.

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Fri Apr 25, 2014 7:47 pm

:'(. 
What are they now then?  £99 was what I last paid in 2008.

CondorX5
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by CondorX5 » Sun Apr 27, 2014 8:54 pm

Dealer quoted me £200 when I asked about a year ago! 
X5 2005 Le Mans Blue 4.8is
Fully loaded but Now semi-retired! 

X5 2012 Alpine White 40d MSport 21" style 215 black alloys, rear entertainment, media package, comfort seats and a load of other options.

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Sun Apr 27, 2014 10:31 pm

:wall: :guns: