Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Remote key fobs

Discuss your latest mods or ideas, and anything to do with the BMW X5 (E53).
7builder

Remote key fobs

Post by 7builder » Sun Apr 27, 2014 5:56 pm

The central locking has not worked on my wagon since I got it and having spent some time googling the issue I came to the conclusion the batteries were no longer holding a charge and would need replacing. As such I decided to open one of the fobs with the help of a scalpel. It was then that I discovered the battery was measuring 3.2v so bang went that theory.  I was just about to glue the fob back together when I noticed the positive terminal was no longer connected to the PCB. You can see this at the 5 o'clock position in the picture.

I re-soldered the terminal and glued the fob back together and hey presto the central locking now works on the fob. I took the second fob apart and found the same issue with one of the battery terminals. I carried out the same repair but I haven't managed to get this fob to work with the central locking this time. I've tried the usual key reprogramming but as the battery was  lower at 2.9v it might need charging on a longer journey to ramp the voltage up before it works.

So if anyone has issues with a key fob no longer activating their central locking and have tried reprogramming to no avail it might just be one of the battery terminals is no longer connected to the PCB. It is quite easy to split a key fob with a sharp blade such as a Stanley knife or scalpel and a pair of needle nose pliers (if you value your fingers) and a little bit of patience.

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Remote key fobs

Post by X5Sport » Sun Apr 27, 2014 10:34 pm

Good (if frustrating) find......and repair.  :)

Massively cheaper than a new pair of keys from a Stealer....

Richard
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.