Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

F15 option confusion - sorry

6605paull

F15 option confusion - sorry

Post by 6605paull » Fri May 23, 2014 2:04 pm

Hi Members, new to the forum so hello.
After 2 years have decided to go back to an X5 and sell my D4, but had forgotten the ever straight forward option shopping list and paranoid I will get it wrong, so if anyone can comment that would be appreciated.
Does anyone have the 20" black 491 style wheels fitted to the M Sport model?, appreciate it would appear you cannot.
Are the exhaust pipes i.e quad each side on the 40D SE model the same as the 40D M Sport model?
Is the Dynamic Pack on the SE model worth it or just go for the M Sport, I like the aesthetics of the M Sport but my last X5 which was a 40Dxdrive 2010 M Sport model was a bit harsh on the suspension IMO
Theory is go for the SE model and make it look like the M Sport  ;)
Thanks in advance

worsy

Re: F15 option confusion - sorry

Post by worsy » Fri May 23, 2014 2:27 pm

[quote="6605paull"]
Hi Members, new to the forum so hello.
After 2 years have decided to go back to an X5 and sell my D4, but had forgotten the ever straight forward option shopping list and paranoid I will get it wrong, so if anyone can comment that would be appreciated.
Does anyone have the 20" black 491 style wheels fitted to the M Sport model?, appreciate it would appear you cannot.
Are the exhaust pipes i.e quad each side on the 40D SE model the same as the 40D M Sport model?
Is the Dynamic Pack on the SE model worth it or just go for the M Sport, I like the aesthetics of the M Sport but my last X5 which was a 40Dxdrive 2010 M Sport model was a bit harsh on the suspension IMO
Theory is go for the SE model and make it look like the M Sport  ;)
Thanks in advance
[/quote]

Have a 40D M sport on order myself. The 40D exhausts are single either side AFAIK (certainly are on my E70 version). The MSport has oval rather than round pipes.

New F15 suspension is supposed to be far superior to the E70 and has further options to improve comfort with dynamic damping. I think you might find the F15 MSport even on 20s will be more comfortable than the 2010 version you had previously.

The 491 is an option I believe, probably 4k of wheels :)

6605paull

Post by 6605paull » Sat May 24, 2014 7:26 pm

Thanks for the reply. Took a physical look at a F15 M Sport 40D today, have to say I think my old 2010 plate M Sport 40D was better, the F15 has lost most of the flair over the wheel arch, the one I saw was white looked like a stuck on after thought IMO. Also did not like the look of the front end, those big blacked off holes look like they need something fitting, prefer the look of the SE the with dynamic pack fitted other than the plastic trims over the wheel arches. All in all no decision today.  :'(

davyk31

Post by davyk31 » Sat May 24, 2014 9:37 pm

As a previous E70 owner I looked very closely at an F15 but like you I did not like the loss of the aggressive beefed up arches of the E70.

tiger78

Post by tiger78 » Sat May 24, 2014 10:48 pm

I like the front but the rear looks to skim and very x3 like to me.  Not saying in won't buy one but like the fat bum on the e70 at the moment...

allforus

Post by allforus » Sun May 25, 2014 9:21 am

Hi moved from a D4 xs to the 30 d m sport on 20's and I find the ride fine as for the look of the car it's my first X5 but it definatley looks the part

Think performance wise it is quicker in the 30 d than the D4 so the extra £4 k for the 40d wasn't worth it for me took and extended test drive for a couple of days tows the caravan better than D4 in my opinion just done 360 miles in it yesterday averaged 25 mpg so all is well

Graeme
X5 F15 30d msport
5 series g31 20d

kenniff

Post by kenniff » Wed May 28, 2014 11:30 am

Would just add (at the risk of offending others) that IMHO the f15 is not at its best in white. I much prefer my 30dMsport in grey.

Also, I remember when owning a 3 series that I diodnt like the new 3 series body style. A few years on and I much prefer the new one.... Not sure how that happens, but it often does.
Current: M50i arctic grey (G05)
Previous: RRS P400 HST, F15 M50d,F15 30d Msport, E70 35d Msport, 530i, Boxster, 330Ci Sport Vectra GSi, Chevrolet Lumina, Vxl Astras

It'll be allright in the end. If it isn't allright it isn't the end

6605paull

F15 option confusion again

Post by 6605paull » Sun Jun 08, 2014 9:49 pm

Hi, kinda stuck as don't like the front end of the M Sport and can't get the 491 style wheels I want so thought go for the SE but then don't like the plastic wheel arches.
Does anyone know if there is an after market solution for the SE wheel arches, i.e M Sport type?
Or can you get the SE front end air vents fitted to that silly void on the front end of the M Sport?
Lots of BMW options but still cant get what I really want for £55-60k  :blink:
Thanks.

wildwhiffy1

Post by wildwhiffy1 » Wed Jul 02, 2014 7:50 am

Hi 6605paul,

I had exactly the same issues when I was trying to get the spec right for my car. I wanted the flared arches you get on the Msport, but I didn't want the Msport for various reasons, not least of which was that I didn't want the harsher ride.

The only other way to get the flared arches is to opt for the 20inch wheels which I also didn't want. Like you, I wasn't keen on the flat-looking wheel arch trims on the SE versions.

So I looked into the possibility of ordering the SE car and getting the flared arch trims retro-fitted. Trouble is that the bits for this cost around £800.00 and the painting and fitting was going to be another £900.00... Wow!

In the end, I've now got a 40d SE with it's lovely quadrilateral tail pipes, and I've stayed with the standard flat wheel arch trims. HOWEVER, IMHO, the trims pale into insignificance when you add the aluminium running board. This sets off the car a treat, and takes your eyes away from the rather slab-like sides of the car, and also, I find you notice the wheel arch trims much less. The running board is very attractive and I feel it changes completely the character of the car. I always felt that the F15 wasn't the most attractive car on the road, but with my configuration, and the superb running boards, the ugly duckling has become a swan...