Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Camera issue

Dr C

Camera issue

Post by Dr C » Mon Jul 14, 2014 10:01 am

I'm getting a blue screen with an exclamation mark on it when I go into reverse, or manually select the front, rear, or surround views. It happens about 10% of the time, and doesn't correspond to anything - it's just random. It's going into the dealership for them to have a look at in a few weeks, but just wondered if anyone has had this problem and if it was an easy fix? Any dealership BS to watch out for?

Cheers
Scott
Current:
F15 X5 M50d
Mark 7 VW Golf GTD

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Camera issue

Post by X5Sport » Mon Jul 14, 2014 1:45 pm

Sounds like a faulty camera as that screen shows a loss if video signal.  Could be wiring or the actual camera.  Are all the others working?

Richard
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

Dr C

Post by Dr C » Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:19 am

Thanks Richard. Yeah, when it happens, it happens with all cameras. I always notice it first when I put the car into reverse and it doesn't come up with the surround view, just the blue screen. I then select the rear camera and get the same, then I select the front camera and get the same! Turning the engine off and on again sometimes fixes it but not always.

I just know they're going to say that they can't find anything wrong with it, so I'm hoping it happens again before the car goes in, so that I can take a picture of it (like I said, it happens completely randomly).

Cheers
Scott
Current:
F15 X5 M50d
Mark 7 VW Golf GTD

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:19 am

In that case it sounds like the video module itself.  Take a camera phone piccie if you can.  At least you can say it 'looks like this' to them.

Richard
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

Dr C

Post by Dr C » Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:25 am

Managed to get some pics before it goes into the Dealership on Monday:

ImageImageImage
Current:
F15 X5 M50d
Mark 7 VW Golf GTD

Dr C

Post by Dr C » Tue Aug 05, 2014 6:28 am

So the car went into the dealership yesterday, and I get a phone call last night saying they cannot find anything at all wrong with the cameras (they have printouts of the photographs above). They say that they will need to replicate the fault to have any idea of what is wrong, given that the fault happens occasionally we could be going round in circles so I've told them is don't want it back until they've replicated the fault and fixed it.

Curiously, a guy on the E70 thread posted the same problem after using a pressure to clean the car...I use a Karcher to clean my F15...could this be the cause I wonder?

Also discovered last night that it only happens when the car is opened and started using my key - it has never happened with my wife's key and she drives the car
more than me!
Current:
F15 X5 M50d
Mark 7 VW Golf GTD

Dr C

Post by Dr C » Tue Aug 05, 2014 1:02 pm

Just got a call from the dealership...it appears that there is a known fault with the video module and they are currently updating the software which should fix it. I'm not sure if this is F15-specific.
Current:
F15 X5 M50d
Mark 7 VW Golf GTD