Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Rattles

catflap

Rattles

Post by catflap » Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:14 pm

My X5's got an annoying rattle from the off side rear seat base (comfort rear seats) The dealer has had a look at though failed to make any improvement. They're telling me that they need the car for a day to remove the entire seat assembly though I'm a bit reluctant to proceed since they'll probably cause more problems than they fix!

My transmission is (I think) a getting a bit noisy. It seems to whine a bit at low speeds on light throttles - not sure if I should be worried or not really. I'm convinced it was totally quiet when I first got the car 3 weeks / 2500 miles ago.

It also sometimes makes a faint tinkling / rattling noise when slowing down under 30mph particularly on downhill inclines, I can hear it with the window wound down - the noise 'bounces back' from walls / kerbs etc, definitely from under the car it always lasts just for a second or two.

My dealer has test driven it and checked underneath and say there's nothing wrong, though they would say that I guess. Time will tell  :(

allforus

Re: Rattles

Post by allforus » Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:14 pm

Hi on a different thread I have the same low speed transmissions wine more noticeable when warm and slowing down going down hill haven't had it to dealers yet but hard to get it to do it on demand apart fro towing the caravan
X5 F15 30d msport
5 series g31 20d

catflap

Post by catflap » Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:28 pm

[quote="allforus"]
Hi on a different thread I have the same low speed transmissions wine more noticeable when warm and slowing down going down hill haven't had it to dealers yet but hard to get it to do it on demand apart fro towing the caravan
[/quote]

These noises get in your head after a while, I began to think I was imagining it though other people have noticed it when traveling in my car. The rattle from under the car is quite worrying, it's not very loud and doesn't happen every time. It seems no need specific conditions for it to happen, slight downhill slope, slowing through 30-20 mph 1500 rpm - ish. I'm hoping to record it on my phone to take to the service department. My previous car had exactly the same engine / transmission as this and was incredibly quiet even after 60,000 miles of me thrashing it, the X5 sounds like it's done 200,000 miles already. My whine is most noticeable when travelling at low speeds in traffic, you know on and off the throttle in low gears. I'm convinced that it's a diff or transfer box problem - time will tell, it'll end up with cogs n' springs all over the floor fairly soon.

Can you post a link to the other thread you referred to? Ta.

allforus

Post by allforus » Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:37 pm

You're wine is the same as mine slowing down going down hill is the key to the wine sorry I was just on abou the other thread we where talking on
X5 F15 30d msport
5 series g31 20d

mark hamster 28

Post by mark hamster 28 » Sat Aug 16, 2014 9:26 pm

catflap, I think you asked me about rattles on another post which I can not find now..?? hope this was you as I said if I found out my rattle I would let you no. Well been to bmw this morning and saw the service guy who delt with me and asked the question about my rattle they fixed and still is fixed to this day.!

They showed me, where the rear seats clip into when you put them back to normal postion after having them down, the metal post which the seat clips back into, they have put some tape/cloth around it which did the trick  ::)  hope this helps if you still got issues
::) X5 M Sport F15  3.0D M Sport  ::)

PREV-

New Model X1 Xline 2.0 D 2015
X 5 M Sport 3.0 D (E70) Only been gone 2 days but missed  :(
Ford Focus ST3
Audi A4 Cab Final Edition
Range Rover Sport HSE

catflap

Post by catflap » Sat Aug 16, 2014 10:42 pm

[quote="mark hamster 28"]
catflap, I think you asked me about rattles on another post which I can not find now..?? hope this was you as I said if I found out my rattle I would let you no. Well been to bmw this morning and saw the service guy who delt with me and asked the question about my rattle they fixed and still is fixed to this day.!

They showed me, where the rear seats clip into when you put them back to normal postion after having them down, the metal post which the seat clips back into, they have put some tape/cloth around it which did the trick  ::)  hope this helps if you still got issues
[/quote]

thanks,

mine's in next Friday to be fixed (I hope)  :(

mark hamster 28

Post by mark hamster 28 » Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:25 pm

hope it get sorted like mine did  :)
::) X5 M Sport F15  3.0D M Sport  ::)

PREV-

New Model X1 Xline 2.0 D 2015
X 5 M Sport 3.0 D (E70) Only been gone 2 days but missed  :(
Ford Focus ST3