Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Another Paint Defect

bobgolden

Another Paint Defect

Post by bobgolden » Thu Jul 31, 2014 8:57 am

I've got a lumpy bit of paint about an inch to the right of the roof rail and half an inch above the windscreen. Looks like the spay gun had a coughing fit !  It's less than the size of the now defunct half pence piece but I took a photo with the iPhone and it appears to have some black speckling in the blob. Anyone recommend a dealer with an excellent bodyshop in South Yorks or Wakefield area ?

The car is mineral white by the way.
X5 xDrive 30D M Sport (F15)

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Another Paint Defect

Post by X5Sport » Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:55 am

Any BMW dealership with an 'approved' Bodyshop should do it.  I had my bonnet re sprayed and the whole car polished because of defects.

You'll need to use BMW in order to keep your paint warranty intact.

Richard
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

bobgolden

Post by bobgolden » Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:52 pm

Thanks Richard,

I think I'll go back to supplying dealer as it's been less than a week and I know it'll get on my wick !  After all, they don't come cheap.

Rob.

allforus

Post by allforus » Fri Aug 01, 2014 9:56 am

Have a paint defect myself but cant bring myself to get it done always thinking what if it stands out like a sore thumb etc etc

I have not got much faith in the bmw dealers body work place as they took two attempts to paint a few stone  chips on a front bumper letting it come out with muck in the paint and a run so much for checking work etc

that's my take on it  :noexpression:
X5 F15 30d msport
5 series g31 20d

bobgolden

Post by bobgolden » Thu Aug 07, 2014 10:01 pm

It was getting on my nerves so it's booked in at Sytner in Sheffield for next week.  I'll report back.

I must admit, I was extremely disappointed by the whole buying experience at the supplying dealer in Wakefield.  I've just had to get a duplicate tax disc on account of they even messed that up and DVLA told me it was the simplest solution.  Cost me 28 days unused tax for July though - thankfully that isn't as distressing on an F15 as it is on a Discovery 4 especially at first registration road tax charge for the D4 is £850.

DoubleD

Post by DoubleD » Fri Aug 08, 2014 8:22 am

How did they mess up your tax disc ezactly? And why did this leave you out of pocket?

bobgolden

Post by bobgolden » Thu Aug 14, 2014 1:23 am

I asked them to tax it for 53 weeks which traders are allowed to do, so I assumed it would be taxed from 25 July 2014 until 31 August 2015. The tax disc was never received but when I got the duplicate from the main Post Office, who checked the status with the DVLA, it came back as being taxed until 31 July 2015. Had the dealer told me they could only do full months, I'd have arranged to collect the car on 01 August.  As it was, I was unable to take delivery until 29 July, so lost precisely 28 days of VED value that came out of my pocket.

bobgolden

Post by bobgolden » Thu Aug 14, 2014 1:28 am

Graeme,

Sytner did a very good job. Turns out the underlying debris was weld splatter which was more difficult to remove than muck or a paint blob. As a blend in repair, ie not removing screens, roof rails etc, it's virtually unnoticeable and has certainly removed the buggeration factor of being in my eye line every time I go to the car. Overall, I'm glad I took it in and now look forward to driving around with a smile on my face again.