Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Transmission Failed, 3k miles :(

55JWB

Transmission Failed, 3k miles :(

Post by 55JWB » Wed Aug 06, 2014 2:13 pm

Hi All,

been lurking for a while picking up tips etc, F15 forum not that busy compared to other forums I have frequented...

Anyway as title says, I picked up an ex-demo F15 X5 on 4th July which had covered 2,200 miles on 28th July the car was behaving strangely on gear changes then on 29th transmission failed completely after only 3,000 miles! :(

No replacement transmission available in the UK, need to wait 11 plus days for an ETA from Germany plus who knows how many days for fitting and reprogramming....  :noexpression:

Initial symptoms were when lifting off and slowing the car is changing down the gears, in doing so it was if I was driving a manual, dropping down a gear and then taking foot immediately off the clutch causing the whole car to lurch forward.  Then on accelerating foot on gas, there was a hesitation like a loss of power then a huge thump as the gear engaged this time throwing you backward...

Called assist, chap came out, went for a test drive, car did several more clunky changes before dropping into limp mode and stuck in 3rd gear.

back home for diagnostics and confirmation that the transmission had failed at gear 5 and solution is a replacement transmission.   

Now begins the complicated conversations with the dealer and decision from me if I am to refuse the care under sale of goods act 1979, section 14.

its a December 13 registration, now facing what must be an £8-£10k warranty claim! :razz:

not seen anything on here about failed transmissions, hope everyone else is safe from this kind of failure and its just as one off...

Jason

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Transmission Failed, 3k miles :(

Post by X5Sport » Wed Aug 06, 2014 2:46 pm

Oh dear!

Not come across any failures before with the F15 so this would seem (to me) to be a manufacturing fault, and no they aren't cheap.  The 8sp transmission has been around for 4 years or so with few issues being reported anywhere - and the box is used in all sorts of cars apart from BMWs.

At least it's under OEM warranty so there should be no argument with BMW at all.  I'm not surprised there are no spares immediately available.  One off type failures like this tend to catch any manufacturer a little wrong footed and most of the boxes are probably in the US.

Fitting and programming should take a day or two only once the parts arrive.  BMW GB will just have to take it on the chin, and I bet that box goes back to ZF to find out exactly what broke.

Very annoying in the meantime though! >:(

Richard
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

55JWB

Post by 55JWB » Thu Aug 07, 2014 7:05 am

really upsetting, kinda ruined that getting a new car excitement and now the car will feel violated in some way... :(

had the car 33 days and only driven it for 19 of them, from an update late yesterday it looks as though it will be another 10 days from now at least.... 

dealer talking about discussing goodwill gesture from bmw uk but not entirely sure what they can do, I guess its like the old saying "you only get one chance to make a first impression"  :noexpression:

Jason

Don Coffey
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Don Coffey » Thu Aug 07, 2014 8:48 am

Hi Jason and welcome.  Sorry to hear about the gearbox, but don't let it put you off your new car.  It's an isolated incident and as long as bmw sort it and give you a first rate service you really can't ask for more.  Hopefully on the cars return you can put this behind you and enjoy the car.

All the best.

Don

AW8
Lifer
Lifer

Post by AW8 » Thu Aug 07, 2014 9:56 am

I appreciate I could make the following reference re any car dramas without physical harm to the occupants .......in grand scheme of life it really is a non issue. Nobody has been hurt or injured.

At end of day it's a suspected gearbox related fault and one that will be sorted.

I have not heard of a failure on here re this box before.

As for resolution with dealer it depends how you feel. You can of course ask them if will take he car back.

If you do decide to reject the car or otherwise get rid the do bear in mind that the same box is used by around a dozen other brand names.

Personally I think it's a good box and I would 't want such an issue to spoil my long term ownership.

I would personally be expecting a decent loaner that is acceptable whilst yours gets sorted. Maybe try your luck if there is something you fancy.

As for goodwill I would try to get put on the corporate invite list albeit I can't see them wanting you turning up to an event and moaning re the brand so don't hold your breath.

Sure  the car screen price represents a significant sum however funded but do perhaps bear in mind that you are fortunate to own it..... Like others I would be delighted to own an F15 - even if having to have hassle of a warranty claim. For many a knackered gearbox means us buying a replacement ourselves.

This may come across a bit like the underdog telling the top dog to stop moaning but it is posted so as to put a perspective on things. I do not think that anyone has made a car incapable of ever breaking down.....Ironically the same box is in a Rolls Royce !

As for the F15 section being less populated than on other sites - the only way that will change is if folk post here. If folk don't want to do that then that's a choice thing - unless someone knows otherwise.

Good luck and please keep us updated if happy to do so :)
Gone - 2002 E53 X5 4.4i Sport (Pre Facelift) Owned 2006-2016.

Site & Forum Admin Team Member.

kenniff

Post by kenniff » Thu Aug 07, 2014 10:57 am

I thought there werent many posters because they hadnt sold many :)
Current: M50i arctic grey (G05)
Previous: RRS P400 HST, F15 M50d,F15 30d Msport, E70 35d Msport, 530i, Boxster, 330Ci Sport Vectra GSi, Chevrolet Lumina, Vxl Astras

It'll be allright in the end. If it isn't allright it isn't the end

bobgolden

Post by bobgolden » Thu Aug 07, 2014 9:57 pm

They've sold bucket loads - they just haven't been able to deliver that many yet !

Hopefully, we've got ours at a reasonable discount being early testers adopters !
X5 xDrive 30D M Sport (F15)

55JWB

Post by 55JWB » Fri Aug 08, 2014 4:27 pm

Thanks for the replies and I do appreciate the "put things into perspective" post...

I am not a habitual complainer or would be solicitor, I am not trying to hold the dealer to ransom or back them into a corner with outrageous demands. 

I have explained that I am as keen as they are to work together on an acceptable solution or outcome...

I am currently torn between replacing the car or perhaps asking for an extended warranty when mine is repaired... 

Provided it is appropriate I will share the outcome... 

Jason

55JWB

Post by 55JWB » Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:02 pm

Have agreed with dealer a replacement car, there is an element of "cost of change" that I have been prepared to bear, but have an exact 'like' replacement December 13 car with only delivery miles, where as mine was an ex-demo...

Dealer has been very straight and I have not been shouty or demanding....

To be fair this is the 6th car I have bought from them so we have a 'relationship' which is why we have been able to work together in arriving at an acceptable outcome, finance company happy dealing with a like for like 'swap' so not complicated to sort either...

Not necessarily the outcome I set out to achieve but happy with the replacement which I hope to collect later thus week....

Reusch

Post by Reusch » Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:45 pm

Great outcome mate and as long as your happy that's even better.
JFT96.YNWA

Current
Jaguar XF

Previous
Porsche Cayenne 3.2 (money pit)
BMW X5 3.0D
Mercedes C Class,Mazda RX8,Jaguar S Type 3.0.