Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Annoying vibration

Discuss the problems with your X5 (E53).
Johnny-p

Annoying vibration

Post by Johnny-p » Sun Jun 01, 2014 7:05 pm

Right chaps this one is doing my head in now!!!

I have a vibration that occurs between 1500/2000 rpm..

It then goes away but when cruising at speed I feel it again through the chassis not as bad but it's there :'(

I've read on a few American X sites that people with similar things transfer box oil change and adaptions reset sorted it.

So I've just had the ATF and filter done and transfer box done but it's still there-aaaargh!!

As a side note the gear changes and gearbox behaviour have been transformed( thank god as you read many horror stories on here)!!

Now it's been there since I've owned it and done 18k with no issues but it's driving me mad..

I've put on 4xnew tyres with lazer alignment,new front bushes plus oil ATF etc..

Any ideas/theories appreciated....

Cheers
2005 X5 3.0d Sport-Black sapphire-cream leather-pan roof-folding mirrors-sliding boot floor-soft close tailgate-heated F/R seats-F+R air con-rear blinds-Bluetooth/voice recognition-satnav/tv in-motion-aux enabled-headrest monitors/DVD-aux heating-alarm chirp-chrome dials-detachable towbar  ;)

Steamyrotter
Snr Member
Snr Member

Re: Annoying vibration

Post by Steamyrotter » Sun Jun 01, 2014 9:05 pm

Front brake discs???
Mine are rusty and some has come off.  Now shaking like a goodun......
If things were meant to be easy, then I will soon complicate them....
Please note...
Anything I say is only from my personal experience and knowledge..
I don't assume to know everything, and know there is a lot I don't know..
But then I could be talking bollox.. O:-)

Johnny-p

Post by Johnny-p » Mon Jun 02, 2014 8:47 am

Oops

Meant to say also had new pads front and rear, new front discs and a new front caliper to replace a sticking one!!

Could it be a buckled wheel???

Maybe wheel bearing???

I'm running out of ideas (and money)!!

TIA

John
2005 X5 3.0d Sport-Black sapphire-cream leather-pan roof-folding mirrors-sliding boot floor-soft close tailgate-heated F/R seats-F+R air con-rear blinds-Bluetooth/voice recognition-satnav/tv in-motion-aux enabled-headrest monitors/DVD-aux heating-alarm chirp-chrome dials-detachable towbar  ;)

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Mon Jun 02, 2014 10:13 am

Missing wheel weight?  Badly balanced wheel?  Wheels correctly fitted (no dirt in the fitting faces, and properly torqued on)?  Does it do it in every gear or just at certain speeds?
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

Johnny-p

Post by Johnny-p » Mon Jun 02, 2014 10:25 am

I took it back to have the weights checked after having the tyres fitted and the laser alignment done and all was as it should be..

The vibration really manifests itself between 15-20mph on acceleration regardless of gear.

It starts off very light up to 15-20mph when it's worst and then calms down again- very hard to explain!!!

It then almost disappears but when cruising you can definately feel it more through the chassis and your seat not the steering wheel??

Greydog

Post by Greydog » Mon Jun 02, 2014 12:05 pm

Have you checked the prop shaft centre bearing I had this with a Mercedes at low mileage Dealer spent ages looking and in the end changed the centre bearing (I think in desperation) problem fixed. Even off the car it was impossible to see any issue with the bearing but the change fixed the problem.

The X has a front prop shaft as well don't know how its mounted but if its rubber doughnuts they can also be a source of vibration if they are split.
4.6is X5 Estoril Blue (current)
4.4 X5 Sport Topaz Blue LPG (now gone squashed by a tree)
Subaru Outback 3.0 Rn Star Silver (current)
AMG 6.3 CLS Obsidian Black (sold)

Steamyrotter
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Steamyrotter » Mon Jun 02, 2014 1:15 pm

Check the Torque Convertor mounting bolts (under Small rubber cap on the interface between engine & gearbox on drivers side most likely..)

Check they are tight, and also check the flex plate hasn't broken...
You will find a camera handy for that..
If things were meant to be easy, then I will soon complicate them....
Please note...
Anything I say is only from my personal experience and knowledge..
I don't assume to know everything, and know there is a lot I don't know..
But then I could be talking bollox.. O:-)

Johnny-p

Post by Johnny-p » Tue Jun 03, 2014 6:31 pm

UPDATE....

At last it's gone!!

Got in it tonight and all is smoooooothe...

After reading the posts on x outpost relating to this and the fact that the transfer box oil change was done with adaption reset and it solving the vibration I was more than a little disappointed that mine was still there!!

However it never said if it was an instant cure..

What I'm hoping is that it's took a bit of driving for the gearbox and trans box to sync properly as the gearbox had its adaptions reset when the ATF and filter was done a couple of weeks ago and I've been on a 1500ml trip to France since-trans box only got done last Friday and I've only done about 200mls since ..

I'm no mechanic so I maybe talking out of my a**e here but fingers crossed it's cured...
Last edited by Johnny-p on Tue Jun 03, 2014 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.