Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Temperature Gauge

Barry-C

Temperature Gauge

Post by Barry-C » Sun Feb 01, 2015 6:18 pm

Can anyone explain the logic behind the temperature gauge on the instrument panel of myX5  3.0 SE F15.  In case you haven't noticed that temperature gauge is an OIL temperature gauge, not cooling system which I would find more useful.  I appreciate oil mustn't be allowed to overheat, and it does play a part in cooling, but it has never been a problem in the past, whereas keeping an eye on the engine radiator temperature is never a bad thing. 

Or has something been lost in the translation and it IS a water temperature gauge and the gauge has got the wrong symbol on it (oil can) and the handbook has been written incorrectly and really should be talking about the water temperature gauge.  Just a thought...........

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Temperature Gauge

Post by X5Sport » Sun Feb 01, 2015 6:20 pm

The E70/71 don't even have a temp or oil temp gauge!  Just a daft 'econometer' which would be more useful as an iDrive option putting a temp gauge back in the main dash.

No logic behind it that I can work out!!
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

Horizon
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Horizon » Sun Feb 01, 2015 6:34 pm

[quote="Barry-C"]
Can anyone explain the logic behind the temperature gauge on the instrument panel of myX5  3.0 SE F15.  In case you haven't noticed that temperature gauge is an OIL temperature gauge, not cooling system which I would find more useful.  I appreciate oil mustn't be allowed to overheat, and it does play a part in cooling, but it has never been a problem in the past, whereas keeping an eye on the engine radiator temperature is never a bad thing. 

Or has something been lost in the translation and it IS a water temperature gauge and the gauge has got the wrong symbol on it (oil can) and the handbook has been written incorrectly and really should be talking about the water temperature gauge.  Just a thought...........
[/quote] I served my apprentiship on big diesel powered generators, V12 and V16 50+ litre  engines. They used the oil temperature as part of the emergency shutdown system. Oil temperature is a reflection of coolant temperature. Also I now work on Industrial screw compressors which monitor oil temperature and will shutdown at 120 degs C oil temperature.
So as daft as it first seems it's a good wat of monitoring, also shows up oil starvation due to blocked fitters a lot quicker.
2011 Kia Sorento KX3  2.2D 60 Plate Auto in black ( mine )
BMW E83 X3.  3.0d M Sport, 2008 in black ( now gone )
BMW E93 330i Convertible  Msport  2007.  ( Now sold )
VW Golf 2.0 TDI 140 GT 2010 ( now sold )
Now Sold 55 plate, X5, 3.0 D Sport. Silv

Barry-C

Post by Barry-C » Mon Feb 02, 2015 1:14 am

There is no mention, and I don't suppose there is, any  emergency shut down system in the event of the oil overheating, in the vehicle hand book.  Neither is there any indication of what the overheated oil temperature would be.  It seems to run at 100 degrees C according to the gauge.  I haven't seen it exceed this yet.  I'd still prefer a water temperature gauge. :( :(

535dboy
Lifer
Lifer

Post by 535dboy » Mon Feb 02, 2015 2:03 pm

Isn't oil temperature more important than water temperature

Particularly on the warm up cycle.
Currently :
2012 Audi RS4 (B8)
2012 Porsche Boxster S (981)
2008 Lotus Exige S (a bit modified!)
2015 Nissan Leaf twin turbo with Nitros

Previously :
2008 BMW X5 3.0sd MSport
2005 BMW 535d MSport

kenniff

Post by kenniff » Mon Feb 02, 2015 3:21 pm

[quote="535dboy"]
Isn't oil temperature more important than water temperature

Particularly on the warm up cycle.
[/quote]
What's MOST important is Driver temperature, though one or two passengers might disagree.
Current: M50i arctic grey (G05)
Previous: RRS P400 HST, F15 M50d,F15 30d Msport, E70 35d Msport, 530i, Boxster, 330Ci Sport Vectra GSi, Chevrolet Lumina, Vxl Astras

It'll be allright in the end. If it isn't allright it isn't the end

Barry-C

Post by Barry-C » Mon Feb 09, 2015 5:42 pm

In 50 odd years I have not have to worry about the engine oil temperature, even when oil was not the technical substance it is now:  so why does BMW now think I should be I should aware of it's temperature, more so than the radiator temperature?? ::)  ::)

The Mechanic

Post by The Mechanic » Tue Feb 10, 2015 11:47 am

In the aircraft I fly, we have both oil temp and pressure.  The one that stands out in the "shut down now!" category is oil pressure.  No oil pressure will kill your engine quicker than temp or coolant temp.  In a plane, it is important to keep the engine going.  No hard shoulder at 5000 feet, so no auto shutdown in my aircraft.
Never knowingly underfed

2012 E70 30d M Sport

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Tue Feb 10, 2015 12:33 pm

I have to agree that an oil pressure gauge would be my first choice too.  Big end shells do not like being run without oil!!  Have not had the luxury of that gauge since my 1985 Opel Manta GT/E.

By the time the light comes on it's usually too late - whether air or ground borne  :(

Richard
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

Barry-C

Post by Barry-C » Tue Feb 10, 2015 9:41 pm

With the X5 F15 you get available options of such tosh as leather covered dash board tops, ceramic tops on various knobs and buttons.  Wouldn't it be nice the be able to opt also  for an oil pressure gauge, temperature gauge, an engine and gearbox oil dipstick, a spare wheel, and maybe a time clock with hands on it and an instrument panel that can be read when the sun shines on it. ::) ::)
Last edited by Barry-C on Tue Feb 10, 2015 9:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Barry-C

Post by Barry-C » Sun Mar 15, 2015 5:18 pm

Disappointing, I must be the only person that wants these things. :noexpression: :noexpression: :)