Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Rear subframe bush tool - to buy or not to buy

Discuss your latest mods or ideas, and anything to do with the BMW X5 (E53).
JF1980

Rear subframe bush tool - to buy or not to buy

Post by JF1980 » Mon Jun 15, 2015 2:13 pm

Just wondering if anyone has experience with buying/selling rear subframe bush tools?  My bushes have been past their best for a while and I'd like to get rid of the annoying 'clunk' when pulling on/off the drive every day.  The job itself doesn't look too bad with the bush tool however I'm not sure whether to buy one or not.

You can get a new tool for £80 from Ebay now (used to be a lot more).  Makes it look more appealing than renting as if I have something come up, find I have something missing etc I can put the job off until another weekend.  Given that renting is £40 for a week, plus return postage which will be another £10+ then also the £200 deposit, it doesn't seem like renting is worth it.

Question is are the tools easy to sell on?  I know it's 'only' £80 but that's a lot for a tool I will never use again.  Alternatively anyone in Kent have a tool I can borrow?  :-[
Current: 2012 E70 x40D Sport
Previous: 2004 E53 3.0D Sport

Reusch

Re: Rear subframe bush tool - to buy or not to buy

Post by Reusch » Mon Jun 15, 2015 6:22 pm

I'm sure a member on here rents "his tool out " maybe Sanj or Raj not 100% sure who it is.
JFT96.YNWA

Current
Jaguar XF

Previous
Porsche Cayenne 3.2 (money pit)
BMW X5 3.0D
Mercedes C Class,Mazda RX8,Jaguar S Type 3.0.

TimX5

Post by TimX5 » Mon Jun 15, 2015 7:32 pm

I've made my own but not used it yet , gonna do them in a week or two.

Slick

Post by Slick » Fri Jun 19, 2015 7:22 pm

just bought the tool and will be in a position to rent it  out by the end of next week
Jaguar F type
X5 4.4 facelift
Vauxhall Vectra diesel  daily driver

willos

Post by willos » Wed Jun 24, 2015 9:03 am

Put it on ebay and sell it.  As stated its not worth hiring out and its cheap to start.    I've just bought one and its going on ebay as as soon as the jobs done.  Just got to sort out an alternator thats gone south last night Grrrrrrrrr.