Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Particle filter terraclean

Discuss your latest mods or ideas, and anything to do with the BMW X5 (E70).
Manse73

Particle filter terraclean

Post by Manse73 » Sat Nov 28, 2015 6:10 pm

10 plate 3.0d xdrive particle filter warning has just come up on dash. Does this mean a trip to the main dealer. A friend has said it might be the dpf regenerating. Can anyone throw some light at it for me please
Last edited by Manse73 on Tue Dec 01, 2015 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Particle filter

Post by X5Sport » Sat Nov 28, 2015 6:40 pm

You can try taking the car for a drive of at least 20 minutes after the car is fully warmed up, and at a speed of at least 40mph.  You need to keep this speed steady and/or keep the rpm above 2,000 throughout to make sure everything stays hot enough for the regen to complete.  Using manual mode or Sport mode can help.

If this doesn't clear then a trip to the Dealer to force a regen is needed.

Cars fitted with DPFs must not be used on short journeys where they don't fully warm up.  If that type of use is close to how you use it then you need to do a longer and higher speed run at least once a month.

If the DPF cannot be regenerated then it has to be replaced.  The one on my X6 40d is £1,499+vat+fitting, so
I keep a very close eye on how the car is used.  My new Skoda Superb has one as well as the Ad Blue urea system to be monitored!
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

Manse73

Post by Manse73 » Sun Nov 29, 2015 9:48 am

Tried the 20 minute run last night. On start up no faults and then 20 minutes in to it the message reappeared. Is this a main dealer trip or can it be done with a snap on diagnosis machine. Thanks for your reply

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Sun Nov 29, 2015 10:12 am

I haven't tried this, but the Carly device (wireless and plugs into the OBD2 port) which a few folks including myself have, can trigger a forced regen.  You need the full (not the Lite) version of the App (Android OS IOS) and the gizmo itself.

Have a look at mycarly dot com to check compatibility.

Manse73

Re: Particle filter terraclean

Post by Manse73 » Tue Dec 01, 2015 11:07 am

After numerous attempts at getting the car to regenerate and half a tank of fuel later I have had no success. Three people have suggested getting it terracleaned. Has anyone done this or does it have side effects. Any help and replies are gratefully received

Horizon
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Horizon » Tue Dec 01, 2015 5:15 pm

Aparantly the car will only try to regenerate so many times and then lockout the regen function, it may be that you have to force a regen via external software, as X5 sport mentioned.
I can't see why terraclean would make it any better, but may be wrong. If the car has locked out the function it will need the error codes resetting and a forced software regen cycle.
If the light has come on after the car is up to temperature and still doesn't regen that could be the problem.
2011 Kia Sorento KX3  2.2D 60 Plate Auto in black ( mine )
BMW E83 X3.  3.0d M Sport, 2008 in black ( now gone )
BMW E93 330i Convertible  Msport  2007.  ( Now sold )
VW Golf 2.0 TDI 140 GT 2010 ( now sold )
Now Sold 55 plate, X5, 3.0 D Sport. Silv

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Wed Dec 02, 2015 6:15 pm

I suspect a trip to the dealer for a forced regen is the best option.  They'll also check any codes and clear the relevant ones.  I believe dealers may also use an additive as part of the forced regen.

If that still doesn't work, then it gets more costly and worst case you need a replacement.  What's the mileage on it?  If below average it may well be recoverable, if very high then probably a new one is needed.

No idea on Terraclean.  Not seen anyone on the forum refer to it.

Manse73

Post by Manse73 » Fri Dec 04, 2015 7:23 pm

All sorted now. First code read showed faulty glow plugs so I changed all six. On the next read it showed all clear and that the dpf had not regenerated in 8000 miles so the counter was reset. A regen style drive and now all clear with no more faults.
Thank you all for your input and advice.

Kind regards

Kevin

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Fri Dec 04, 2015 7:45 pm

:)