Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Non run-flat tyres

Discuss your latest mods or ideas, and anything to do with the BMW X5 (E70).
adricky

Re: Non run-flat tyres

Post by adricky » Mon Mar 28, 2016 9:36 pm

Ok so I'm gonna go for non run flats, can someone recommend some good mid-range tyres please?

BullyB

Post by BullyB » Tue Mar 29, 2016 5:34 am

[quote="adricky"]
Ok so I'm gonna go for non run flats, can someone recommend some good mid-range tyres please?
[/quote]

I have Michelin Latitude Sport 3's on order.
Not used them myself yet but loads of good reviews if you google
F15 for the dogs, 996 C4S for road trips, Defender for the mud & E36 M3 for the track

Nine468

Post by Nine468 » Tue Mar 29, 2016 1:35 pm

Ive had the Toyo,s 20",s on my E70 for a good 2 years and found them good.
Just looking at replacing them and they are almost half the price of the Michelin option, so i might just get another set...
Are the Michelin,s twice as good.???
Dave W.
BMW E70 X5 40D

Pinewood

Post by Pinewood » Thu Mar 31, 2016 12:06 am

[quote="99ron"]
I 2nd that. On the 3rd set of non run-flats here on a 150K miles X5. No issues so far.
I always change all four together with same brand as the fronts aren't that far behind the rears for wear.
If the transmission goes then it will get fixed then sold as I can't live with this thing on runflats in the UK.
[/quote]

The * rating is a con. I ran a E60 M Sport for 5 years without a hiccup on non run flats and intend to run this X3 (once the Pirelli rft's wear out) on something similar. Midrange tyres will be lower in cost and I have no issue in changing them as a set of 4,once a axle gets down to 5mm. I often find the shoulders wear first and end up giving the dreaded slow speed rumble anyway.
F25 x30d M Sport Lci. Prof Media/Nav, adaptive xenons,ext storage,lights package, 19" Staggered 622M alloys.

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Thu Mar 31, 2016 5:14 pm

Your E60 didn't have Xdrive.  It's the 4x4 cars that it needs care with.  Plenty of members on here now changing different/transfer boxes because of this problem.  It isn't a con.
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

stevee

Post by stevee » Fri Apr 08, 2016 9:08 pm

Just fitted Michelin Latitude Sport 3s on my 20". Fantastic. Nice and supple compared to the run flats. £820 from blackcircle fitted.
I've run non RF winters for 4+ years with no issues.
X5 E70 (2011)

Pinewood

Post by Pinewood » Fri Apr 08, 2016 9:33 pm

[quote="X5Sport"]
Your E60 didn't have Xdrive.  It's the 4x4 cars that it needs care with.  Plenty of members on here now changing different/transfer boxes because of this problem.  It isn't a con.
[/quote]
Ok so perhaps not a con,  but i fail to see how 4 brand new (same make)  non run-flats can mess up the transfer box,  over 4 runflats.  If people don't pay attention to wear rates on the same axis, or front to back then fair enough.
* rating surely means they meet a desired radius,  but a normal tyre from the big manufacturers will also meet these basicr requirements?
I look at the North American owners on another forum,  and they modify their X  cars far more than us with spacers,  21" wheels etx and suffer no such issues.  I wonder are we in the UK just too PC?
F25 x30d M Sport Lci. Prof Media/Nav, adaptive xenons,ext storage,lights package, 19" Staggered 622M alloys.

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Fri Apr 08, 2016 9:52 pm

The only 'common' thread that has appeared is either wide tread depth variation or fitting something more 'agricultural' in it's tread pattern.  Plenty of folks haven't had a problem, but a growing number are, and tyres seem to be the reason though there could and will be other reasons.

Quite why BMW fitted a system with this little tolerance seems odd for a premium brand, more so given their knowledge gained from LandRover?  I agree that it should not be necessary for anyone to be limited to specially marked tyres, but BMW aren't alone in that.

Pinewood

Post by Pinewood » Fri Apr 08, 2016 10:05 pm

It's hard to know which way to go on this issue,  I literally sit on the fence with tyre choice. The various members that have voiced an opinion (either way) on this thread is testament to that :-(
Last edited by Pinewood on Fri Apr 08, 2016 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Fri Apr 08, 2016 10:08 pm

It's probably one like the gearbox fluid change......do I or don't I?  And that one has run and run too.

It is the best thing about this Forum.  It doesn't make decisions any easier though. :cry1: ???

celica

Post by celica » Fri Apr 08, 2016 10:35 pm

I'm on non star and non run flat

Currently have uniroyal rainsport up front
I do like wish they had them in 315 35 20 for the rears as rate these tyres

Pinewood

Post by Pinewood » Sat Apr 09, 2016 8:09 am

How long (miles) have you been running normal tyres?

squeaky2

Post by squeaky2 » Sun Jul 03, 2016 4:57 pm

Sorry to resurrect this.  I am just about to get a set of 20" refurbed to go back on the car when the winters come off  :)  Have been looking around and at the moment there seems to be little price difference between the price of dunlop runflats and non runflats. I am however having to get one of the rears repaired again as it has a hairline crack in it.

I am only thinking about non runflats as living in london with all the pot holes and speed bumps and another driver with no mechanical sympathy at all they might be a better option.  Im not so worried about the transfer box problems at the moment as we are only doing about 6000 miles a year.  The ride doesnt seem to be so much of an issue either as the adaptive ride really helps.

How are people getting on with non runflats and are there any real reasons for not doing it.

Also would a mid priced tyre be that bad an option?

Pete

Post by Pete » Sun Jul 03, 2016 7:26 pm

You'll struggle to permanently repair a wheel that has been cracked. The Ronal wheels (I'm presuming it is a ronal) are woeful, when I used to deal with them there were so many cracked, mainly 20", wheels. BMW should have been accountable for them. The runflats certainly don't help though (mixed with our awful roads).