Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Took Delivery Yesterday (Fri 9th Sep)

kered

Took Delivery Yesterday (Fri 9th Sep)

Post by kered » Sat Sep 10, 2016 8:58 pm

Hi all,

Been registered here for a while now, but have been waiting to collect my car before posting & saying hello.

So just yesterday morning I've taken delivery of my new X5 2.5D X Drive M-sport in Carbon Black with Alcantara interior & I'm dead chuffed I must say

While "Mrs Kered" has had a couple of X3's, this is my first BMW & also my first move away from Land Rover in 14 years. So far I've only driven back from the dealer to my office & then home yesterday evening, but am looking forward to getting to know my new X5 better over the weekend.

I'm also looking forward to getting stuck in & participating here on the forum  over the coming months  :)

In the meantime here's a phone cam pic of my car at the dealers yesterday morning, just as the cover was pulled off.

Last edited by kered on Wed Sep 14, 2016 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
F15 X5 2.5D X Drive M-Sport - Carbon Black / Alcantara

MarkG_M3CP

Re: Took Delivery Yesterday

Post by MarkG_M3CP » Sat Sep 10, 2016 9:09 pm

Hello, welcome and congratulations!

I'm a relative newcomer on here, moving from the F30Post forum after saying goodbye to my 335dx while waiting for my X5.

Hoping for delivery in the next week or so, same colour as yours which I can't wait for. Love the look of it, now be sure to take care of the paint!

I plan a detail and ceramic seal - have you had anything done yet?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Current: F80 M3 Competition Package and F20 M135i
Gone: F15 X5 M50d / F30 335d xDrive M Sport / E92 LCI 320d M Sport / E46 320d M Sport Touring / E46 318i Touring

mogsyman

Post by mogsyman » Sat Sep 10, 2016 9:17 pm

Fantastic and I hope you enjoy  8)

Great colour and a lovely, lovely looking car  ;)

I'm picking my new one up next Saturday, I'm getting a little bit excited now  ::)
2019 F90 M5
2019 Porsche Macan

Previous

2016 X3 20D M Sport
2016 X5 M50d
F10 M5
120D M Sport
335i DCT Vert
997 C2S
30D M Sport X5
2.0D M Sport X3
535D M Sport
4.8iS X5
3.0D M Sport X5
320D M Sport Cab
996 C2 Cab
Boxster S
Golf GTi (150 D)

P6NDP

Post by P6NDP » Tue Sep 13, 2016 9:38 am

Congrats on your new purchase :)

I have almost the exact same car and love it.

What Spec options did you go for?
Did you get a good deal on it?

cozycoupe

Post by cozycoupe » Tue Sep 13, 2016 10:10 am

Hello and welcome!

Congratulations on the new car.  I hope you enjoy it.

I was really tempted by the 2.5D but ended up going for the 3.0D instead.  I would be really interested to know what you think of it when you have had a chance to enjoy it more.

kered

Re: Took Delivery Yesterday (Fri 9th Sep)

Post by kered » Wed Sep 14, 2016 1:44 pm

Thanks all for the nice welcomes  :)

So far I haven't got to do much with my new toy as weather & other external influences (work  ::)) have restricted my free time over the past few days. But so far I'm just loving my new X5.

Previously I've had Land Rovers & while the 25D engine is certainly a step down in size from what I've been used to, I'm not finding any lack of "Ooommph" issues yet. The drive is much smoother than my previous Discovery & the lag I experienced & had gotten quite used to, is not there at all with the X5.

As far as options & spec goes, it's a pretty much standard X-Drive 25D M-Sport. The only two options I went for are sun protection glass & the electric tow hitch.

I'll probably change out the front kidney grilles for black motorsport ones in the not too distant future, but other than that I've not got any plans for further modifications, just yet. That said though I always do a few things to a car to "make it my own" so time will tell as to what else I might do. Being a Land Rover Man for the past 14 years, I'm not too familiar with what can be done to an X5, so I'll have to research the modifications that others have done, which is where this forum & others will come in very handy.

For now though I'll concentrate on getting to know the X5 & enjoying the hell out if it  8) 
Last edited by kered on Wed Sep 14, 2016 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MarkG_M3CP

Post by MarkG_M3CP » Wed Sep 14, 2016 4:40 pm

Well start with coding.... auto start/stop OFF.

Not sure why else on an X5 although I've done lots on my 335.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Current: F80 M3 Competition Package and F20 M135i
Gone: F15 X5 M50d / F30 335d xDrive M Sport / E92 LCI 320d M Sport / E46 320d M Sport Touring / E46 318i Touring

kered

Post by kered » Wed Sep 14, 2016 8:43 pm

Yeah the auto stop/start is a pain alright. But with "Mrs Kered" having had two X3s, I'm well used to hitting the override button out of habit when pressing engine start button.

One thing I would like to code if possible is to have the instrument binnacle lit all the time. On the X3 the dials are back lit regardless of the lights being on or off, as were the instruments on my Discovery. So I was a bit surprised to see that the X5's instruments aren't lit unless you switch on the lights. So I might do a bit of research on that to see if it's possible to code.

Other than that all is wonderful really  8)

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Thu Sep 15, 2016 4:55 pm

Does the engine cut out with the car still moving, or wait until you actually stop?
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

kered

Post by kered » Fri Sep 16, 2016 7:38 am

The Auto Stop/Start only kicks in when you're at a standstill, such as at traffic lights or waiting at a junction. It's pretty quick to start up again once you lift your foot off the brakes. "Mrs Kered" doesn't mind it & leaves it active when she's driving her X3, but anytime I was driving I always hit the override button, as I continue to do now that I have my X5.

I know the system is designed to work & it does work well, but I'm a bit old school & am looking at it from a "mechanical sympathy" point of view & just don't like the idea of the engine stopping & starting all the time, particularity when in city traffic & find myself cringing as it shuts down & then starts up again repeatedly. 

Also, I always believed in letting a turbo idle for a while to cool before shutting down after a long drive so as not to starve the bearings of oil. There's one drive we do on a reasonably regular basis where we're hooning down the motorway for about 2 hrs, then at the end we get to sit at traffic lights on a roundabout & anytime the auto start/stop is active & the engine shuts off after the drive I'm thinking "The Turbo, The Turbo !!"

I guess the engineers at BMW have thought of all that, but I can't let go of a lifetime of "Mechanical Sympathy"  ::)