Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Leak!!

Discuss the problems with your X5 (E53).
PhilT

Leak!!

Post by PhilT » Sun Jan 30, 2011 12:40 pm

Hi everyone,

Recently been noticing a few drip marks on the drive under the front of the X5 so decided to get underneath yesterday and investigate. After taking the undertray of below the engine I discovered what appears to be the culprit (or culprits). At the bottom of the engine, just behind the bumper there are two large hoses connecting to a radiator (I assume cos I can't actually see it!) and the connections around the springclips) on both of these are wet.

After trawling realoem I think I've narrowed it down to the item below which i assume is the turbo intercooler (not sure why realoem call it a supercharger?).

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I've cleaned the pipes/joints up (around numbers 3 & 8 on the diagram) as best I can (though access is quite difficult) and was thinking of leaving the undertray of for a couple of days and then checking to see if they are wet again (heres me vainly hoping they may just have been slightly dislodged).

Has anyone had any problems with these pipes before or know anything more about this - any help and advice would be greatly appreciated as always.
Cheers
Phil.

Current Drive:
E71 X6 30D 2011
E53 X5 3.0D 2004

Previous:
S54 Z3 MCoupe 2002
S50 Z3 MCoupe 1998
E46 330 Ci Sport 2003

jap scrap

Re: Leak!!

Post by jap scrap » Sun Jan 30, 2011 2:46 pm

Nothing should be dripping from them as only air should be passing through the pipes for your intercooler i would try looking from the top down and see is there oil leaking from somewhere else

PhilT

Re: Leak!!

Post by PhilT » Sun Jan 30, 2011 6:58 pm

Thanks for the reply, that's strange cos both joints are coated with a black oily deposit as though they are leaking. Can see anything directly above that is leaking but as per my other post it appears I've got a leaking steering fluid pipe so that could be the culprit - god knows how the fluid has got to these junctions though without coating everything around it :?
Cheers
Phil.

Current Drive:
E71 X6 30D 2011
E53 X5 3.0D 2004

Previous:
S54 Z3 MCoupe 2002
S50 Z3 MCoupe 1998
E46 330 Ci Sport 2003