Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Replacing Rear Brake Pads with 27000 miles left on them ?????

General Discussion for X3 (F25) models go here.
sharpharp

Replacing Rear Brake Pads with 27000 miles left on them ?????

Post by sharpharp » Wed Jan 18, 2017 8:16 pm

Just had my X3 in for a service and got sent a snazzy video from the dealer showing me a puncture in the sidewall (that's now 2 punctures in 7 weeks after fitting a new set all round), but what chewed me off more was them saying the rear brake pads were down to 3mm and need replacing...

I questioned this as the vehicle status states that 27000 miles were left on them. Dealer said the computer isn't accurate as they were worn on the inside, is that right? Is the bmw vehicle status computer really that inaccurate?

Also, anyone explain why the rear pads would need replacing yet the front ones are fine and have 42000 miles left on them? Does the X3 AWD use braking more on the rears???

Either way, I had to laugh at the dealers quote for the brake pads alone, they said the quote has to pay for the dealership lighting, uniforms and cups of coffee... Independent quoted half that.

graemeX5
Snr Member
Snr Member

Re: Replacing Rear Brake Pads with 27000 miles left on them ?????

Post by graemeX5 » Wed Jan 18, 2017 10:41 pm

Hi

It does seem somewhat odd that the car is saying so much and the dealer a lot less. Having said that the I've had experience of the service indicator be over positive and then stating a service is due, but that could be their new system of condition based servicing.

With regards to the rears doing more braking than the fronts it is unlikely as when you have the MoT that usually shows a higher braking force on the fronts than the rears,  unless you're driving in reverse all the time of course to reduce the mileage and save the front brakes :))

Also it sounds like your going the Indy route as it's half price and it may be worth asking them to show you the old pads if they end up being replaced.

Keep us posted on your progress,

Graeme
Now: E70 X5 in Blue, 3 Minis Cooper S R53, JCW R56 & Cooper S Roadster R59 :drive:

Prev: Abarth 595C & 500C, E53 X5 4.4i, E88 135i M Sport, Audi TT Mk1 V6, 3 Smarts, 8 Vauxhalls, 4 Fords, 2 Triumphs, 1 Mini & Bikes

Nat

Re: Replacing Rear Brake Pads with 27000 miles left on them ?????

Post by Nat » Thu Jan 19, 2017 11:44 am

Hi,

I have a 40d E70 . I can confirm my rear disks and pads gave up the ghost before the fronts.
Interestingly the dealer ( BMW ) reported that the front disks were nearly at tolerance  and would need changing soon.
Turned out the rears were far more worn and needed doing almost immediately. They never reported that .
I did notice their " life left " on the  service indicator dropped dramatically towards the end of their life.

Strange , I have had the car from new and it is unusual that the rears wore out before the fronts..............by almost 7000 miles.

Regards,
Nat.