Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Caravan Tow Electrics

marksimonpowell

Caravan Tow Electrics

Post by marksimonpowell » Fri May 19, 2017 9:45 am

Morning guys

I've just been to check the tow electrics on the X5, everything seems ok apart from the fridge isn't working. ATC trailer control powered up, I checked the battery and that flicked up to 14.7 but no fridge power.

I've rung a local towbar guy - he's advised I need a dedicated kit that he cant do, [sounds expensive] id there an easier way of getting round this? Any advice welcomed - thank you
If I'd known I was going to be this thirsty this morning I'd have drunk more last night!

kenniff

Re: Caravan Tow Electrics

Post by kenniff » Fri May 19, 2017 12:24 pm

X5Sport will give you a better answer, but have a look at this thread for starters:

http://xdrivers.co.uk/forum/index.php/t ... 20.15.html

Basically the last 3 generations of x5 havent come properly wired because the Germans arent allowed fridges in their caravans! Therefore although you have 13 pins, the fridge one isnt wired up.

I'm guessing the cheapest way to fix would be to complain loudly and repeatedly to BMW until they fix it for free - otherwise a dealer who knows what they are talking about. Try P F Jones as they sold kits for the e70 at least. Many on here have been successful in getting it fixed FOC by BMW.

I had read about it on here in the past so asked my dealer about it when ordering. They said that the fridge wouldnt work but as I am only going to be attaching a bike carrier I didnt explore the solution.

Good luck
Current: M50i arctic grey (G05)
Previous: RRS P400 HST, F15 M50d,F15 30d Msport, E70 35d Msport, 530i, Boxster, 330Ci Sport Vectra GSi, Chevrolet Lumina, Vxl Astras

It'll be allright in the end. If it isn't allright it isn't the end

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Fri May 19, 2017 3:35 pm

As above.  BMW don't fully wire the system, and don't tell you they don't!

I had mine sorted by the Dealer at no expense after I pointed out to them that I ordered a towbar with 13-pin electrics and that is what they should supply.  If it isn't fully wired then they need to tell Buyers and include it in their documentation.

Rumour has it that only the U.K. allows and uses the fully wired version.

There are wiring kits available from PF Jones website.
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

allforus

Post by allforus » Sat May 20, 2017 1:03 pm

Same as above all sorted free of charge works like a dream
X5 F15 30d msport
5 series g31 20d