Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Sat Nav unit - suggestions for replacement

Discuss your latest mods or ideas, and anything to do with the BMW X5 (E53).
centurion

Sat Nav unit - suggestions for replacement

Post by centurion » Sun May 07, 2017 4:17 pm

hi,

my X5 has built in rear screens as well as the hifi stereo with an amp connected to BMW's Sat Nav screen (relatively typical OEM setup). I'd like to replace the head unit for a more modern UI/design and was wondering if anyone has any suggestions.

Those android based devices available through fleebay are topping my list but i was told that i will
i) have to disconnect the amp
ii) i will loose out on OBC functions etc.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

henrym3
Snr Member
Snr Member

Re: Sat Nav unit - suggestions for replacement

Post by henrym3 » Sun May 07, 2017 8:29 pm

I think now a days most if not all of the flea bay stuff can incorporate the factory amp, I'm assuming you have the DSP amp. It's just a pain cos you need to buy and run a lead from front to rear to make it plug and play. As for the OBC, depends what your willing to put up with, once new stuff is fitted you can plug in your old unit and set all your OBC settings time/mpg/date then unplug old unit, this should last until your battery goes flat or you have to disconnect it for some reason. I've hard wired my old unit into the boot so have full facilities but in the boot. To do that you need some serious spare time on your hands to run the head unit wires back to the boot, make brackets etc etc
E53 X5 4.6is, Carbon Black, LPG, Paddle Shift, Dynavin N6, Lowered, 22"Wheels, Side Bars. Perfusion Exhaust
E30 M3 Black, S50B32 Engine, 6 Speed Box, Ireland Engineering ARBs & Big Brake Conversion, Lowered, 18"LMs, CF CAI, CF Splitter & Barge Board, ZM3 Quad Exhaust.
VW R32 Gone

centurion

Post by centurion » Sun May 07, 2017 11:32 pm

[quote="henrym3"]
I think now a days most if not all of the flea bay stuff can incorporate the factory amp, I'm assuming you have the DSP amp. It's just a pain cos you need to buy and run a lead from front to rear to make it plug and play. As for the OBC, depends what your willing to put up with, once new stuff is fitted you can plug in your old unit and set all your OBC settings time/mpg/date then unplug old unit, this should last until your battery goes flat or you have to disconnect it for some reason. I've hard wired my old unit into the boot so have full facilities but in the boot. To do that you need some serious spare time on your hands to run the head unit wires back to the boot, make brackets etc etc
[/quote]

Thx... re obd commands, assume those on the dash will remain irrespective if oem sat nav unit is present or not?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Steamyrotter
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Steamyrotter » Mon May 08, 2017 1:41 pm

[quote="centurion"]
[quote="henrym3"]
[/quote]

Thx... re obd commands, assume those on the dash will remain irrespective if oem sat nav unit is present or not?

[/quote]

Yes.
But you wont be able to set the clock or reset the readings..
If things were meant to be easy, then I will soon complicate them....
Please note...
Anything I say is only from my personal experience and knowledge..
I don't assume to know everything, and know there is a lot I don't know..
But then I could be talking bollox.. O:-)

Greydog

Post by Greydog » Mon May 08, 2017 2:41 pm

I have read the latest Dynavin units allow you to retain the OBC funtions.
I have no experience of this or read of any one with one confirming it it is just what I have read on their website.
4.6is X5 Estoril Blue (current)
4.4 X5 Sport Topaz Blue LPG (now gone squashed by a tree)
Subaru Outback 3.0 Rn Star Silver (current)
AMG 6.3 CLS Obsidian Black (sold)

henrym3
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by henrym3 » Mon May 08, 2017 7:34 pm

Ref Steamyrotter's  comment, this is correct but if you plug in your old unit you can reset the clock, zero mpg, decide if you want mpg/km/ltr12hr/24hr clock/date format. Once set you unplug old unit.
I have the Dynavin unit and they do not allow the above without you retaining the old unit. Most who don't have the full screen/nav fit the MID into the glove box and leave it plugged in. If like me you have the full screen and DSP and the base box in the r/h cubby hole to retain control and set the base level the eq in the DSP you must have the HU plugged in somewhere. So the Dynavin does not do this on it's own, Having said all that, once the Dynavin is fully fitted it is vastly better than standard.
E53 X5 4.6is, Carbon Black, LPG, Paddle Shift, Dynavin N6, Lowered, 22"Wheels, Side Bars. Perfusion Exhaust
E30 M3 Black, S50B32 Engine, 6 Speed Box, Ireland Engineering ARBs & Big Brake Conversion, Lowered, 18"LMs, CF CAI, CF Splitter & Barge Board, ZM3 Quad Exhaust.
VW R32 Gone

centurion

Post by centurion » Thu May 18, 2017 9:50 am

[quote="henrym3"]
Ref Steamyrotter's  comment, this is correct but if you plug in your old unit you can reset the clock, zero mpg, decide if you want mpg/km/ltr12hr/24hr clock/date format. Once set you unplug old unit.
I have the Dynavin unit and they do not allow the above without you retaining the old unit. Most who don't have the full screen/nav fit the MID into the glove box and leave it plugged in. If like me you have the full screen and DSP and the base box in the r/h cubby hole to retain control and set the base level the eq in the DSP you must have the HU plugged in somewhere. So the Dynavin does not do this on it's own, Having said all that, once the Dynavin is fully fitted it is vastly better than standard.
[/quote]

Hardly any space in the car due to LPG conversion :-(.

Any other suggestions?

henrym3
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by henrym3 » Thu May 18, 2017 5:24 pm

I have LPG fitted so there's room for the HU in the bootImage

VW R32 Gone

centurion

Post by centurion » Sun May 21, 2017 10:57 pm

Had another thought which may be a route in... pioneer head unit with car play , pioneer amp and set of new speakers. All in incl fitting should come around 750.

grumpywurzel

Post by grumpywurzel » Mon May 22, 2017 12:16 pm

[quote="centurion"]
Had another thought which may be a route in... pioneer head unit with car play , pioneer amp and set of new speakers. All in incl fitting should come around 750.

[/quote]

What d'you do, steal it???? That's not a bad price. Which Pioneer system have you priced up for?

I went for the AVC-F88 with DAB and the rear camera about 12 months ago and I paid a hell of a lot more than that and that's without a new amp and speakers.

As for the OBD, yeah you lose the ability to reset anything but I just leave it on "range" now
2005 X5 3.0d Sport

Mods: Engine Re-Map, LED Angel Eyes, HID Upgrade, Cobra Quad Tip Exhaust, Pioneer Head Unit, E70 rear wiper   :) and a new Gearbox :'(

centurion

Post by centurion » Mon May 22, 2017 9:22 pm

Pioneer sph-da120  head unit, pioneer gm-d8604 amp and a set of relatively entry level jvc speakers - ~450-500 (if you shop around).

Hope that helps