Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Dash lit up.

Discuss the problems with your X5 (E53).
Bubbaspaarx

Re: Dash lit up.

Post by Bubbaspaarx » Thu Jun 01, 2017 8:47 pm

[quote="spartacus"]
Interesting about reluctor ring. Had one break on my old Audi A4 V6 rear drive shaft. Straight forward to replace. Need a scan on the system to isolate the faulty speed sensor, and invariably will be a bu**er to remove.
[/quote]
Fortunately the speed sensors are a dream to replace, can do it with just the wheel off and a 5 mm allen key.

Reluctor ring on mine was a m**********r to remove. Nearly broke the indy's tools just getting the driveshaft pressed out [emoji51]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

marinaman

Post by marinaman » Sat Jun 03, 2017 12:05 am

i read the same thing online about the transfer gear actuator causing them all to light up.  if you go on You Tube there are videos there showing how to remove it,  you can change the toothed wheel inside that gets its plastic teeth stripped away, looks a fairly easy thing to do, you need ramps though. You can see the part by looking in the area sort of underneath the car where the passenger seat is.
It may be that  or not.  You can get the plastic toothed replacments from Amazon for about £10
Last edited by marinaman on Sat Jun 03, 2017 12:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
B&B by the sea in sunny Bridlington, best rates for members  :) www.themarina-bridlington.com

Murphybarnes

Post by Murphybarnes » Sat Jun 03, 2017 6:26 pm

So it was the ABS sensor. Bit of a hassle. They checked the reluctor ring, which I believe is fine, (the wife took it in so there is plenty lost in translation)  but their parts supplier sent the wrong part. Ordered a  BMW part instead which I'm happy with and it will be fitted Monday. Around £150 or so sparing any hidden treats.
2006 3.0d Le Mans.

Bubbaspaarx

Post by Bubbaspaarx » Sat Jun 03, 2017 8:04 pm

Good good. If they fit it and find the reluctor rings to be at fault. They have to replace the sensor again and probably at no cost as it wont be your fault they didn't fully check the the reluctor ring.

Murphybarnes

Post by Murphybarnes » Mon Jun 05, 2017 6:25 pm

Just to conclude. ABS sensor replaced with BMW one. £102!!!
Wiring from ECU to sensor was shot so was replaced. Turned out a bit more pricey than expected. Still,  just another three slowly degrading beneath me.
2006 3.0d Le Mans.

Bubbaspaarx

Post by Bubbaspaarx » Wed Jun 07, 2017 7:30 am

Good work [emoji106]
At least you'll know what's wrong the next time.

henrym3
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by henrym3 » Wed Jun 07, 2017 6:16 pm

If they discovered the wiring was knackered after they fitted the new sensor, chances are that there was nothing wrong with the sensor in the first place
E53 X5 4.6is, Carbon Black, LPG, Paddle Shift, Dynavin N6, Lowered, 22"Wheels, Side Bars. Perfusion Exhaust
E30 M3 Black, S50B32 Engine, 6 Speed Box, Ireland Engineering ARBs & Big Brake Conversion, Lowered, 18"LMs, CF CAI, CF Splitter & Barge Board, ZM3 Quad Exhaust.
VW R32 Gone

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Wed Jun 07, 2017 7:53 pm

Highly likely!

Step 1 check the sensor is doing what it should?
Step 2 on a 'no signal' condition, unplug the sensor and check it at the connector.
Step 3  if sensor within tolerance, trace wiring back (with a test source connected) to wire source and identify break point.
Step 4 fix it!
Step 5 reassembly is the reverse of above, static test, road test and if condition cleared give back to customer.....if not then you missed something!

When I was a 'baby injuneer' it was called First Principles.
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.