Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Roof Bars Installed...

Discuss your latest mods or ideas, and anything to do with the BMW X5 (E53).
RossC

Roof Bars Installed...

Post by RossC » Wed Jul 12, 2017 4:20 pm

I had previously searched, but couldn't find a recommendation for roof bars for the E53.  Roof bars are an integral part of my 4x4 life, permanently fitted, so finding a set that looked good, but also performed in all areas can be pretty tough.

My previous square bars from my Shogun were ideal, but after several test fits on the X5, not only did their more utilarian style look awful, the whistling and wind noise hum just couldn't be eliminated despite various position changes.

The factory supplied bars fitted to my Grand Cherokee rails were low fit, looked good, were up to the task, and completely silent.  Shaped similarly to an aeroplane wing, I wanted to find something similar for the X5 - the only option I could see being the Thule WingBar Edge.

The 9583 is the version you need for the E53, and if you have raised rails, rather than flush fit, the 9583 also fits the E70.

Thule maintain it is the most silent bar available, so I had high hopes.

While there is an all black version available, I worried it would scratch easily with some loads, and carries a premium of around £35, so I opted for the Aluminium, which the contrast of silver and black seems to work well with the mix of colours on the car, matching in with the wheels and sidesteps.

RRP is £264, I found them on eBay for £230, so reassuringly expensive.

Installing them is pretty easy once you're familiar, and you can tell throughout, they are quality pieces of kit.  Installed exactly where I wanted them, I took them out for a test run, and sure enough, completely silent, until you hit 70mph >:(

The wind noise hum is pretty intrusive at motorway speeds, so as per the guidelines, set about repositioning them further back, which did little.  I identified it was only the front bar that was causing upset, so removed the rear bar and set about various front bar positions, until it was further back than I’d hoped.  A good few inches behind the B Pillar, but still, the magic 70mph was annoying.

Thule go on about how it is highly developed in a wind tunnel, for noise reduction and minimal mpg loss, but when they have so many different aerodynamics and roof shapes to deal with, I guess they can never guarantee a one bar solution.

I was close to the end of my tether, until I decided to go against thule instructions, and reverse the bar, back to front.  Thankfully, it’s worked.  It doesn't look silly, and while there is a trace amount of ‘whooshing’ wind noise above 70mph, I doubt any passengers would ever notice it.

The rear bar is fitted as per the Thule guidelines, and made no effect on the lack of noise now coming from the front.  I suspect that if like some cars, the factory roof rails were flatter, and at more of a level rather than the curve of the X5, then finding a silent position would be easier.

Perhaps the OEM BMW Roof Bars at £187 may have been a better bet, but my thinking was that the lower fit of the Thule, rather than the taller BMW fit would be better - I remain convinced the Thule look better too.

Overall, I’d recommend them.  They look good, I have them positioned exactly where I want them, and none of the parts feel cheap.  I’ve yet to see whether they will cope with different weights, but from a fitting point of view, I’m confident that the quality is top notch.  Even if the back to front positioning may not be exactly what Thule had in mind, for my E53, it’s the only way to keep the drive quiet.

2006 E53 X5 3.0i Sport

Horizon
Snr Member
Snr Member

Re: Roof Bars Installed...

Post by Horizon » Wed Jul 12, 2017 5:14 pm

Good write up, a tad expensive for the few occasions I will use mine. Well done in finding out that reversing the leading edge made them quieter
2011 Kia Sorento KX3  2.2D 60 Plate Auto in black ( mine )
BMW E83 X3.  3.0d M Sport, 2008 in black ( now gone )
BMW E93 330i Convertible  Msport  2007.  ( Now sold )
VW Golf 2.0 TDI 140 GT 2010 ( now sold )
Now Sold 55 plate, X5, 3.0 D Sport. Silv

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Wed Jul 12, 2017 6:09 pm

I have the same series for both my X6 and Škoda Superb 3.  Annoyingly the X6 version was 2" too narrow for the Škoda!!

I still have a set for the Mini Countryman we handed back (not that good a car so binned it).  I ought to get rid of them at some point.....
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

kenniff

Post by kenniff » Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:33 am

I had the OEM bars on my e70 (Msport so different rails) and they were excessively noisy. According to the instructions, if you fitted the rubber strips that you had to remove in order to attach a bike holder this reduced the wind noise. However that meant removing the bike holders too....
Current: M50i arctic grey (G05)
Previous: RRS P400 HST, F15 M50d,F15 30d Msport, E70 35d Msport, 530i, Boxster, 330Ci Sport Vectra GSi, Chevrolet Lumina, Vxl Astras

It'll be allright in the end. If it isn't allright it isn't the end

RossC

Post by RossC » Thu Jul 13, 2017 11:00 am

[quote="Horizon"]...a tad expensive for the few occasions I will use mine.[/quote]

You're not wrong. I was dubious about buying what is essentially, the most expensive bars on the market, but as a permanent fit, I thought it would be worth it for minimum noise - I just didn't expect so much faffing to get it right.

[quote="X5Sport"]
I have the same series for both my X6 and Škoda Superb 3.[/quote]

I'm guessing it's the flush rails on the X6?  How did you find them for noise?

[quote="kenniff"]
I had the OEM bars on my e70 (Msport so different rails) and they were excessively noisy. According to the instructions, if you fitted the rubber strips that you had to remove in order to attach a bike holder this reduced the wind noise. However that meant removing the bike holders too....
[/quote]

Thanks, that's kind of reassuring. Obviously, all rubber inserts are in place on these, it's just a shame there's no hard and fast rule to quieten them down.

The thing that gets me is, especially up here in the Highlands, being such an outdoor orientated area, it feels like every second or third car has a roof rack. Does everyone just remove them when not needed, or do people just expect them to make noise and just put up with it..? Either way, I'm pleased I've found a solution, but I can't be the only one that finds excessive noise infuriating.
2006 E53 X5 3.0i Sport

Horizon
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Horizon » Thu Jul 13, 2017 6:04 pm

I bought some cheap ones from " Dave's Garage " on the internet, I cut the rubber insert to fill in the gaps in between the bike rack fixings.
I took it for a test drive, when I got to 40 MPH I thought I had gained a supercharger, the whistle was unbelievable
Last edited by Horizon on Thu Jul 13, 2017 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2011 Kia Sorento KX3  2.2D 60 Plate Auto in black ( mine )
BMW E83 X3.  3.0d M Sport, 2008 in black ( now gone )
BMW E93 330i Convertible  Msport  2007.  ( Now sold )
VW Golf 2.0 TDI 140 GT 2010 ( now sold )
Now Sold 55 plate, X5, 3.0 D Sport. Silv

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Thu Jul 13, 2017 6:11 pm

Standard X6  factory whatever they are rails and no issue with noise at all. I normally use them with a Thule Excellence roof box neither adding to the existing noise output.  You can always turn the stereo up...... :))
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.