Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Tyre choice ?

Discuss your latest mods or ideas, and anything to do with the BMW X5 (E70).
snrbrtsn

Tyre choice ?

Post by snrbrtsn » Sat Jul 15, 2017 2:20 pm

I'm not going to start a Rft / non Rft debate though wouldn't mind opinions on tyre choice, price is negligible after getting quotes + spare

Bridgestone duelers * rfts circa £900
Michelin latitude Diamaris * non rfts circa £760

I've the 4.0d with self levelling suspension and nearing new tyre time, both i and my son in the back notice the  bouncyness more to the point he often gets motion sickness, quite a delima and to the point of considering shifting the X5, though tyres are circa 4-5mm
I'm wondering if changing tyres would make a notable difference, however choice seems limited if I was to stick with * rated xdrive compliant tyre.

Anyone made the change and notice any notable difference?
Is there any other xdrive compliant tyres ?

Thanks

Horizon
Snr Member
Snr Member

Re: Tyre choice ?

Post by Horizon » Sat Jul 15, 2017 2:41 pm

[quote="snrbrtsn"]
I'm not going to start a Rft / non Rft debate though wouldn't mind opinions on tyre choice, price is negligible after getting quotes + spare

Bridgestone duelers * rfts circa £900
Michelin latitude Diamaris * non rfts circa £760

I've the 4.0d with self levelling suspension and nearing new tyre time, both i and my son in the back notice the  bouncyness more to the point he often gets motion sickness, quite a delima and to the point of considering shifting the X5, though tyres are circa 4-5mm
I'm wondering if changing tyres would make a notable difference, however choice seems limited if I was to stick with * rated xdrive compliant tyre.

Anyone made the change and notice any notable difference?
Is there any other xdrive compliant tyres ?

Thanks
[/quote]
Check out Michelin Pilot Sport, I seem to remember them being available in NRF * marked
2011 Kia Sorento KX3  2.2D 60 Plate Auto in black ( mine )
BMW E83 X3.  3.0d M Sport, 2008 in black ( now gone )
BMW E93 330i Convertible  Msport  2007.  ( Now sold )
VW Golf 2.0 TDI 140 GT 2010 ( now sold )
Now Sold 55 plate, X5, 3.0 D Sport. Silv

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Sat Jul 15, 2017 3:32 pm

There are a few non-RFT '*' tyres and I think there is a Continental option now as well.

From experience with my other half also being a sufferer of motion sickness we found that the rear air Suspension was the main cause and different tyres made not the slightest difference.

She does not suffer at all now with the X6 on either 19" or 20" and it doesn't have rear air either.

She does get a little if the Škoda is set to 'Comfort' but is fine on 'Sport'.  It has active Suspension fitted.

Might not be a 100% answer for you but may be useful input.
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

technomad

Post by technomad » Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:12 pm

I'm on my second set of Michelin Latitude Sport 3s on my e70 40d. Really like them - 20k miles out of a set, way better ride than rfts and grip well Ben in winter - didn't bother with the winters last year.

john_o

Post by john_o » Sat Jul 15, 2017 10:59 pm

As x5sport says I don't think tyres are going to help I'm afraid.

Although you shouldn't do it for long.  You could try much higher pressures to see if that helps.

I'm just about to have continental sport contact 5 suv rft star rated on the rear to match the front.  They seem a good tyre so far compared to Bridgestone s that were already on the car.

Given it's air rear suspension you may also be able to dive into suspension settings with a laptop but that has safety and warranty implications. The car can deal with towing so maybe you just need to fool it.

Let us know how you get on

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

bubbabear

Post by bubbabear » Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:54 am

My wife suffers from motion sickness as well so I understand where you guys are coming from. The observation I have is that the continental rfts are much softer than the bridgestones rfts so better ride over potholes. My wheels are 20".
X5 xdrive30d sport 2012, past E39 530i sport touring , e46 330ci.

snrbrtsn

Post by snrbrtsn » Sun Jul 16, 2017 1:37 pm

A couple of option
If I do change to non rfts, I'm inclined to stick with * rated tyres
I'm also playing with the thoughts of an H&R lowering kit to remove the arch gap....

Decisions decisions, may end up in a main stream car / SUV , with conventional suspension which adds further complications as there's not many I'd happily drive, perhaps an X6 is the better option.

sid10

Post by sid10 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:45 am

You could always go down to 19" wheels and tyres , as they are a bit more forgiving than the normal elastic bands on the 20" wheels!

Smeeagain
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Smeeagain » Sun Jul 23, 2017 10:23 pm

[quote="snrbrtsn"]
A couple of option
If I do change to non rfts, I'm inclined to stick with * rated tyres
I'm also playing with the thoughts of an H&R lowering kit to remove the arch gap....

Decisions decisions, may end up in a main stream car / SUV , with conventional suspension which adds further complications as there's not many I'd happily drive, perhaps an X6 is the better option.
[/quote]

As others have said it is more of a suspension issue. I would have thought that changing to non runflats would exacerbate the issue as the runlets have a stiffer sidewall to allow them to keep running as far as I call.

QED the non runflat swill have a softer more flexible, and therefore 'bouncier', sidewall

snrbrtsn

Post by snrbrtsn » Sun Jul 23, 2017 11:12 pm

I picked up a nail, lucky me!
So I'm forced quicker into tyre change, fronts have 7mm so I'm sticking with Bridgestone run flats and replacing both rears...

A couple of thoughts,

1. Sell car.....
2. Brain fart is active

Would someone be as kind as to measure arch gap through the wheel centre cap to lip of arch front and rear?

I'm curious, car is m sport,  there's something troubling me with the ride height, which maybe causing this!
The front springs have been changed prior to purchase, I'm thinking they may be SE springs at the front and std m sport ride With self levelling suspension (air) at rear, this would be logical?

Another option with the suspension, that proved fruitful on the Gt (last car) was to change the Auxillary shock absorbers on the rear... cheap items that made a notable difference.

Option B is to fit a H&R spring kit and replace all Auxillary shock absorbers.