Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Camshaft Sensor - Help on Understanding Diagnostics

Discuss the problems with your X5 (E53).
Sundayjumper

Camshaft Sensor - Help on Understanding Diagnostics

Post by Sundayjumper » Thu Feb 03, 2011 9:40 am

Hi all,

I'm getting a persistent camshaft sensor and camshaft control error. Here's a pdf of the output from INPA - CLICKY.

1) It doesn't say which cam sensor it is, and at around £100 each I'd quite like to know before buying the wrong one !

2) Is the camshaft control error a result of the dodgy sensor, or is there likely something wrong with the VANOS system solenoid as well ? I'm guessing the solenoid would be the first suspect.

Thanks,

Steve.

Sundayjumper

Re: Camshaft Sensor - Help on Understanding Diagnostics

Post by Sundayjumper » Sat Feb 05, 2011 6:41 pm

Just to close this out - fitted two new cam sensors today and so far, no errors. I think the engine pulls through the revs more cleanly too, which would make sense if the VANOS wasn't operating properly before, but I could just be imagining it.

andym3

Post by andym3 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:50 am

[quote=""Sundayjumper""]Just to close this out - fitted two new cam sensors today and so far, no errors. I think the engine pulls through the revs more cleanly too, which would make sense if the VANOS wasn't operating properly before, but I could just be imagining it.[/quote]
Ive had this fault show up aswell, but the car drives fine & theres is no warning lights on, on the dash so I just left it! :lol:
How much were the sensors? Did you replace them yourself, if so was it a quick job? 8-)
CURRENT CARS - E53 X5 3.0d & E30 325I CONVERTIBLE

Sundayjumper

Post by Sundayjumper » Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:34 am

[quote=""andym3""]Ive had this fault show up aswell, but the car drives fine & theres is no warning lights on, on the dash so I just left it! :lol:
How much were the sensors? Did you replace them yourself, if so was it a quick job? 8-)[/quote]
Same here, no warning lights and the engine still worked, but these are a common failure and I'm positive the engine runs better now.

The sensors were £68+VAT each from Euro Car Parts. Very easy to fit. Remove top cover from engine. Passenger side sensor can be replaced without removing anything else, you just need a 5mm Allen key. Driver's side requires removal of the MAF & inlet ducting, still not very difficult.

andym3

Post by andym3 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:12 pm

Ok brilliant I will get this sorted then! Don't suppose you got a item number with the sensors? 8-)
I googled signs of camshaft sensor failure & one of them came back with poor fuel economy. Have you noticed any difference with your mpg since the change? :D

andym3

Post by andym3 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:31 pm

sundayjumper do you mind checking out this ebay item number for me to see if this is the right part? - Item number: 280401377080

Sundayjumper

Post by Sundayjumper » Tue Feb 08, 2011 4:04 pm

Part number - don't know offhand the part number for the ones I bought, I just went into ECP gave them my reg and asked for cam sensors :)

Fuel consumption - I've actually not driven it so far this week so I don't know yet. It was averaging 18mpg before despite a couple of longish runs. I'm hoping that will improve !

Part on ebay - that's not the same as fitted to mine (2001), I think it might only be for facelift models. What year is your car ? My sensors looked like this:

andym3

Post by andym3 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 8:34 pm

[quote=""Sundayjumper""]It was averaging 18mpg before despite a couple of longish runs. I'm hoping that will improve ![/quote]
Well my average is 16.9mpg at the moment, so think its worth me buying the sensors! :lol:

andym3

Post by andym3 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 8:37 pm

[quote=""Sundayjumper""]What year is your car ?[/quote]
My car is a 4.4 V8 year - 2000 8-)