Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Headrest replaced with DVD players

Discuss your latest mods or ideas, and anything to do with the BMW X5 (E70).
English Yeoman

Headrest replaced with DVD players

Post by English Yeoman » Tue Oct 24, 2017 2:36 pm

Hi all, I have swapped out my og BMW headrests with my trusty DVD ones. I do 4 trips to Belgium with the kids each year so they are a must have for a 1,000 mile round trip.

Problem is, this has triggered the "Restraint System" dashboard error and air-bag light (as I have removed the air-bag headrests)

Before I get the codes cleared (I assume they'll come straight back after a mile or so) I was going to add in a 2.2 ohms resistor to effectively 'simulate' the air-bag so the car doesn't flag that it's no longer there.

Has anyone done this successfully and if so, how did you wire in the 2 x cables of the resistor to the remaining black plug / socket behind the seat back?
Last edited by English Yeoman on Tue Oct 24, 2017 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

English Yeoman

Re: Headrest replaced with DVD players

Post by English Yeoman » Tue Oct 24, 2017 2:38 pm

English Yeoman

Post by English Yeoman » Tue Oct 24, 2017 2:41 pm

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Tue Oct 24, 2017 5:47 pm

So you want to drive a car that is an automatic MOT failure then?
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

English Yeoman

Post by English Yeoman » Tue Oct 24, 2017 6:44 pm

Not overly arsed on opinions whether you think it's a good idea or not just want to know if anyone has bypassed the airbag light as per the question above

Sit

Post by Sit » Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:14 pm

Evening,

Not sure anyone is going to rush to advise you how to ‘fool’ the safety system in the car. I think everyone likes to mid their car etc. but perhaps not at the expense of safety. Headrests do look good, I considered something similar for our daughter but in the end due to the issues you experienced along with others, decided on a decent iPad mount for her with some Amazon wireless headphones.

Good luck

Si
2010 X5 30d M Sport Carbon Black | Camel Leather, 20's | HUD | Shadowline | Privacy | CIC iDrive | Adaptive Drive | Pro Nav | Loudspeaker Audio | High Beam Assist | Enhanced Bluetooth | Media Pack | Bum Warmers!

English Yeoman

Post by English Yeoman » Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:21 pm

Cheers, only car I ever heard of with a headrest air bag! I can (hopefully) live without it. All works fine. It's just this 1 error code, I think I'll just tap the existing wire and see how that goes. Is the airbag system 2.0 or 2.2ohms is my next hurdle to pass...???

Everyone who's ever asked or tried this on forums seems to just get told "ooh I wouldn't do that" which is fine but means there's a lack of info to tap into. I've done it and it works a treat, just want the code gone!

English Yeoman

Post by English Yeoman » Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:26 pm

That said, you are right! It would be a lot easier to buy the mount and stick the iPad on!

Sit

Post by Sit » Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:23 pm

[quote="English Yeoman"]
That said, you are right! It would be a lot easier to buy the mount and stick the iPad on!
[/quote]

I think with something as complicated and with potential to cause some financial heart ache people tend to 'er' on the side of caution, whereas with more 'run of the mill' cars and forums I have experienced in the past what people have a go at is simply mind blowing but then I guess the potential risk is reduced.

I really really liked the factory look of the headrest install and wasn't a huge fan of the mount, however she gets on really well with it and it has quite a few plus points.

Be sure to keep this thread updated with how you get on, have you posted pics of your X5 on a welcome thread or similar yet??

Si
2010 X5 30d M Sport Carbon Black | Camel Leather, 20's | HUD | Shadowline | Privacy | CIC iDrive | Adaptive Drive | Pro Nav | Loudspeaker Audio | High Beam Assist | Enhanced Bluetooth | Media Pack | Bum Warmers!

English Yeoman

Post by English Yeoman » Tue Oct 24, 2017 11:01 pm

Will do and yes did post when I got it a few months ago!

I think I've sorted it for £1.29! I'll update at the weekend if it works...

lezmtaylor

Post by lezmtaylor » Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:27 am

X5sport : how would it be an automatic mot failure ? I would assume the fix mentioned would prevent the airbag light coming on.
Or do you mean that the tester would realise the car should have headrest airbag system and does not comply?
If that was the case, I would swop the headrests over for the mot and revert back after.

Lez
2002. 4.4lpg,ledAE's,Xenons,paddleshift,compass mirror,inst rings,led int lights,rear camera,crystal tailights,eisenmann road exh,Schnitzer pedals,chrome indicators,colour co-ord headlamps & bonnet grilles,hualigim entertainment system.dash and rearcamera,comfort seats.hud,bull bars,engine instalube

English Yeoman

Post by English Yeoman » Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:18 am

I was thinking that, it must be the "light on" which would be cause for a fail, not the missing air bag, as otherwise no car with added sports seats or steering wheel would ever pass mot ???

Also an Mot test is universal surely? Not a list of each cars individual specs and air bag placements.

I'm not sure how effective a head rest popping up an inch is anyway, never seen this elsewhere so happy to replace that function for integrated dvd's

kenniff

Post by kenniff » Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:17 pm

I’m not about to attempt this mod - for lots of reasons, but top of the list being laziness.

That said, whilst i wouldnt be keen to reduce the effectiveness of safety systems, I do wonder how effective these airbags would be after Ive strapped on an ipad mount and an ipad on top....

Sorry OP, no help at all and appreciate its not what you asked :)
Current: M50i arctic grey (G05)
Previous: RRS P400 HST, F15 M50d,F15 30d Msport, E70 35d Msport, 530i, Boxster, 330Ci Sport Vectra GSi, Chevrolet Lumina, Vxl Astras

It'll be allright in the end. If it isn't allright it isn't the end

English Yeoman

Post by English Yeoman » Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:31 pm

Haha I nearly gave up half way through for similar reasons! I'm quite good at ripping things apart but the electrics always baffles me!!!!

Glen

Post by Glen » Thu Oct 26, 2017 6:50 am

Jesus Christ whats going on in them seats looks like open heart surgery  ???
2012 X5 40d msport Mine now gone :(
2010 320d convertible WIFE'S
2006 Mini cooper convertible WIFE'S gone
2017 X5 m50d m performance pack