Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Still life in the old dog?

Discuss your latest mods or ideas, and anything to do with the BMW X5 (E53).
Luigi_S

Still life in the old dog?

Post by Luigi_S » Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:10 pm

Hi everyone, I’ve ended up with a 2002 3.0i x5 after being traded in towards my 335i tourer. It has 125,000 miles with full history (Indy) very nice spec- say nav, tv in the headrests, 20” wheels etc my question is has it still got a few years left in her? will I be able to use it as my daily driver 6 miles a day  O:-) or should I just get rid.. it will be my first X5 and  I’m liking the idea of driving around in it but I’m scared it will go wrong and be worth nothing  :-[

marinaman

Re: Still life in the old dog?

Post by marinaman » Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:29 pm

ive always bought high milers and if well serviced have never had major probs. if you can do stuff yourself then i find X5 quite easy to work on so far.
ours has 145k on and still drives like a smooth limo to us anyway,  best car i ever bought,  just renewed insurance with Tesco £209 for 12 months,  cant be bad.
I say 6 miles a day is nothing
Enjoy the power >:D
B&B by the sea in sunny Bridlington, best rates for members  :) www.themarina-bridlington.com

Luigi_S

Post by Luigi_S » Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:47 am

[quote="marinaman"]
ive always bought high milers and if well serviced have never had major probs. if you can do stuff yourself then i find X5 quite easy to work on so far.
ours has 145k on and still drives like a smooth limo to us anyway,  best car i ever bought,  just renewed insurance with Tesco £209 for 12 months,  cant be bad.
I say 6 miles a day is nothing
Enjoy the power >:D
[/quote]

Hi thanks for the reply, that gives me a bit of confidence. I’m like a kid in a sweet shop at the moment finding all the little toys and options that were specs back when new- back then I would of dreamed of a car with 20” wheels and TVs in the seats  :)) so much car for the money! Is there anything I can do to these early models to freshen the look?

AW8
Lifer
Lifer

Post by AW8 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:25 pm

Take or leave my advice as you wish.....however, I suggest getting to know it before you spend on cosmetics, (you might need to spend the money sorting any niggles you may discover).

Fwiw the more original looking examples tend to sell quicker &/or stronger than those that have been "modernised". Perhaps another consideration should you later decide to move it on.

3.0i lump generally not problematic.

Good luck - whatever you decide.
Gone - 2002 E53 X5 4.4i Sport (Pre Facelift) Owned 2006-2016.

Site & Forum Admin Team Member.

Smeeagain
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Smeeagain » Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:34 pm

[quote="Luigi_S"]
Hi everyone, I’ve ended up with a 2002 3.0i x5 after being traded in towards my 335i tourer. It has 125,000 miles with full history (Indy) very nice spec- say nav, tv in the headrests, 20” wheels etc my question is has it still got a few years left in her? will I be able to use it as my daily driver 6 miles a day  O:-) or should I just get rid.. it will be my first X5 and  I’m liking the idea of driving around in it but I’m scared it will go wrong and be worth nothing  :-[
[/quote]

I bought my 2004 E53 in 2010 with 72,000 miles on the clock. It is now sitting at 255,000. Search on my post which was called something like How high is high mileage for a breakdown on things Id have to spend out on (not that much tbh)

But ...... one thing I will pick up on in your post. These cars suffer with battery issues. at six miles a day you wont be charging it enough. IT will need a long weekend run, and or a CTEK battery conditioner to keep it in good shape. Take a cup of tea and an hour of your time and read as many posts on the forum as you can and you will soon have an idea of what the common known issues are on these cars.

Smee