Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Opinions..

Discuss your latest mods or ideas, and anything to do with the BMW X5 (E53).
themoog

Opinions..

Post by themoog » Sat Mar 10, 2018 4:32 am

The wife has recently been talking about swapping her X5 for a Range Rover sport..
I quite fancy one too, but - her car is a 2 owner 90k 4.4 with fsh. At the moment its got to the age/milage where all the suspension parts need replacing to firm it up (like i have done with mine) and a new set of tyres wouldn't go a miss either. I recon about £1500.
A fairly decent RR 4.2 is going to be circa 10-12K  and will only be a year or two newer than the X5. It could also potentially be at the same point as the X where things are starting to wear out so I would have to search very carefully.
What do you recon?
What would you do and why?
Im keen to do the work on it as i enjoy that but also like a new vehicle to play with..

Reusch

Re: Opinions..

Post by Reusch » Sat Mar 10, 2018 10:17 am

If you go with the Range Rover make sure you get a very good warranty with it a friend had one bloody money pit (just like my Cayenne
JFT96.YNWA

Current
Jaguar XF

Previous
Porsche Cayenne 3.2 (money pit)
BMW X5 3.0D
Mercedes C Class,Mazda RX8,Jaguar S Type 3.0.

snrbrtsn

Post by snrbrtsn » Sat Mar 10, 2018 10:45 am

Having had one allbeit in Tdv8 form, I’d test drive and consider exchanging your driving liciense for a maritime boating liciense
The 4.2 have air suspension on all corners that offer abundant body roll, with little refinement, almost agriculatral in comparance.
A complex car that was plagued by issues due to the amount of electronics, far more than Bmw’s
When they run good their good, undeniable, though shallow pockets are a must for ownership! 

themoog

Post by themoog » Sat Mar 10, 2018 2:51 pm

Are you lot saying that about RR because you are biased towards BMW.. My Cayenne never cost us a penny in the 18 months we had it - although I was always on edge waiting for something to break.

Well the wife has decided that she would rather have bi fold doors and decking done outside the kitchen instead of another car.
That means i have the pleasure of replacing all the suspension, doing a transmission service and getting a set of tyres on it.

snrbrtsn

Post by snrbrtsn » Sat Mar 10, 2018 3:13 pm

There’s a lot to like about RR’s, allbeit best from afar, unless you accept the running costs
The owners forum for them speaks volume, with common problems inherent!
http://www.rangerovers.net/forum/
They’re dear to buy, run, repair & replace due to high depreciation.
Whilst as a brand I like BMW, though that’s not to suggest I’m Bias, currently looking at options when the time comes to replace, Jaguar is front running, so perhaps I’m contradicting myself!  :))

Another one that’s fell foul to the house improvement trap, I’m getting a kitchen rather than Car this year!
Last edited by snrbrtsn on Sat Mar 10, 2018 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

themoog

Post by themoog » Sun Mar 11, 2018 7:36 am

Her car is a really good one although its got to the point where items are wearing out.
The bi fold doors and decking is going to cost circa £7500.
I spotted a RR for £10500 not too far from me and I can get 3K trade in price.
Still have to fork out £7500..
I calculated about £1200 to do all the work on hers to get it tip top which is a lot less than getting another car. Yes its 17 yrs old but it has no damage in or out, low mileage, private plate, V8, still looks impressive (when washed) on the road and has all the gadgets that are required in a car. We are the 3rd owner as well and we have a receipt from the last owner for 50K when they bought it from somewhere in Chelsea.
I think ive talked myself into keeping it..

X5-D-Sport
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by X5-D-Sport » Sun Mar 11, 2018 12:33 pm

There is a 3rd & possibly more desirable option....

Get rid of the Wife instead...

For the amount the wife costs in none essential expenses -
ala make-up, clothes, shoes, shopping for useless stuff...
Not to mention the hundreds of thousands she will cost you when she hits menopause & buggers off wanting the house & all your hard earned savings etc...

Meanwhile...
Funnel the money away safe, hide all your valuables & then divorce the woman !!!!
THEN get a maid in to clean & scrub, have a life of peace without relentless bloody moaning & get yourself a Nice Porsche Cayman or a Ferrari or a BIG motorbike to play with at weekends.

GB

henrym3
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by henrym3 » Sun Mar 11, 2018 2:28 pm

While your talking, she's doing all that. :))
E53 X5 4.6is, Carbon Black, LPG, Paddle Shift, Dynavin N6, Lowered, 22"Wheels, Side Bars. Perfusion Exhaust
E30 M3 Black, S50B32 Engine, 6 Speed Box, Ireland Engineering ARBs & Big Brake Conversion, Lowered, 18"LMs, CF CAI, CF Splitter & Barge Board, ZM3 Quad Exhaust.
VW R32 Gone

CondorX5
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by CondorX5 » Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:58 pm

For any “new” car purchase its the cost to change and whether you can afford or want to spend that money.......
I owned a Range Rover for 8 years before moving to BMW and while I enjoyed the RR it cost a fortune to maintain as most of these cars do but it never had the build quality of the BMW and was definitely not the same “drivers car” as the BMW has been for me, noth in E53 and E70 guise. 

Don’t be fooled by the brigade that spout off about how their <whatever make> SUV cost “nothing” to run over x years except fuel etc.  There are rare examples of all vehicles in that league, most will need some expensive repairs as they age, or pricey maintenance.

It’s down to personal taste and likes and dislikes.    Personally, I never want another RR but others love them. 
X5 2005 Le Mans Blue 4.8is
Fully loaded but Now semi-retired! 

X5 2012 Alpine White 40d MSport 21" style 215 black alloys, rear entertainment, media package, comfort seats and a load of other options.

Zedhed

Post by Zedhed » Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:46 am

[quote="CondorX5"]
For any “new” car purchase its the cost to change and whether you can afford or want to spend that money.......
I owned a Range Rover for 8 years before moving to BMW and while I enjoyed the RR it cost a fortune to maintain as most of these cars do but it never had the build quality of the BMW and was definitely not the same “drivers car” as the BMW has been for me, noth in E53 and E70 guise. 

Don’t be fooled by the brigade that spout off about how their <whatever make> SUV cost “nothing” to run over x years except fuel etc.  There are rare examples of all vehicles in that league, most will need some expensive repairs as they age, or pricey maintenance.

It’s down to personal taste and likes and dislikes.    Personally, I never want another RR but others love them.
[/quote]Better the devil you know i say.

Sent from my LG-M160 using Tapatalk

henrym3
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by henrym3 » Thu Mar 15, 2018 2:07 pm

Depends on your attitude towards how a vehicle works. My mate "who never has any problems" with his RR got a warning light and asked me to scan it. 34 faults later, while in it I found half the stuff doesn't work but his attitude is "it runs gets me from A to B"
E53 X5 4.6is, Carbon Black, LPG, Paddle Shift, Dynavin N6, Lowered, 22"Wheels, Side Bars. Perfusion Exhaust
E30 M3 Black, S50B32 Engine, 6 Speed Box, Ireland Engineering ARBs & Big Brake Conversion, Lowered, 18"LMs, CF CAI, CF Splitter & Barge Board, ZM3 Quad Exhaust.
VW R32 Gone

AW8
Lifer
Lifer

Post by AW8 » Thu Mar 15, 2018 5:20 pm

I confess to having a soft spot for RRS 4.2SC. I have researched these a fair bit.

The fuel consumption on these is pretty poor....official is circa 17mpg with folk reporting 22 on motorway runs. Single figure mpg and low teens often muted. Consumption & maintenance costs are probably just on the wrong side of acceptable for me when considering a daily driver doing 10k per annum mileage

I appreciate some make smiles per gallon references to justify ownership. Some might also argue if you have to ask how much it costs to run then you cant afford to run it. I don't share those sentiments.....chucking thousands into the fuel tank &/or  for repairs is not ideal to many. Those that can easily  justify & afford such costs can usually also afford newer, more efficient  &/or more reliable vehicles.

I see the plan now leaning towards keeping the E53....I was in that camp too - Right up until my timing chain guides fell apart !

Good Luck whatever you decide on doing.
Last edited by AW8 on Thu Mar 15, 2018 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gone - 2002 E53 X5 4.4i Sport (Pre Facelift) Owned 2006-2016.

Site & Forum Admin Team Member.

themoog

Post by themoog » Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:31 pm

Hmm..the chain guides on mine broke which cost me 2k. I just hope hers doesn't suffer the same fate.

AW8
Lifer
Lifer

Post by AW8 » Fri Mar 16, 2018 6:34 pm

Ironically I just called up to enquire re a RRS 4.2SC.....possibly sub conciously motivated by this thread

Car had been advertised by private seller for 5 weeks on ebay & more recently AT....Private seller was a mature enthusiast, had replaced lots of suspension parts and basically sorted all issues in his 5 year ownership. Fairly priced,  unmolested & mint in pics.......Annoyingly he had sold it today just before I called.

Oh well - not bitter......V70 in my hands a while longer I guess.....Volvo high miler club here we come !
Last edited by AW8 on Fri Mar 16, 2018 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gone - 2002 E53 X5 4.4i Sport (Pre Facelift) Owned 2006-2016.

Site & Forum Admin Team Member.