Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Possible new E70....

Discuss your latest mods or ideas, and anything to do with the BMW X5 (E70).
mattchubb1

Possible new E70....

Post by mattchubb1 » Sat Sep 15, 2018 11:54 pm

Hi,

So I think we have found a potential X5 that ticks most of the boxes, I know that comfort seats would have been nice... but they are few and far between.

Anyway this one is an 09 plate with 114k ... It's a one owner and I've got all the vin number and number plate to check mot history and spec etc... I have put a holding deposit down as it's in Sandy and I'm in Bristol so didn't want it to be sold before I saw it ..... I told them I might want to drive it away when I came up and I got told that all cars need to go through their workshop to be checked over... so they did that Friday - unfortunately they technician noticed one of the oil hoses was cracked and leaking oil - im not sure what oil pipe it was... but just wondering if there was anything I need to look out for? Just incase there might have been some oil starvation maybe?

Cheers

Groken

Re: Possible new E70....

Post by Groken » Sun Sep 16, 2018 3:21 pm

What kind of garage is it? Copart has a big site in Sandy so make sure that car is not an insurance write off.

mattchubb1

Post by mattchubb1 » Sun Sep 16, 2018 3:33 pm

I don't think it is... as it's at Windhill Autos...

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:42 pm

They are a small yard right alongside the A1 southbound and just north of Sandy roundabout.  Access is off London Road (I think).  They sell pretty much anything that they can get hold of.

I’m not sure what they mean by an ‘oil pipe’ either.  Could be turbo feed or oil filter mount, gearbox oil cooler or turbo Intercooler.

If they offer a warranty, read the fine print carefully.
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

mattchubb1

Post by mattchubb1 » Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:41 pm

Hmmm will pop them an email to see if they can be a bit more specific on what needs doing....

Wonder if they would ever give the name of the last owner??  Just to see if I could try and make contact with them? I mean id get to see the v5 anyway when I bought it?

mattchubb1

Post by mattchubb1 » Wed Sep 19, 2018 1:30 pm

So.... heard back today about which part it was...
"the turbo intercooler pipe (red) has slight seepage of oil, the pipe itself is fine it is the seal inside which have perished over time"

I have very limited technical knowledge on this, and I suspect there will probably be some details lost in translation from the technician to the salesman... but its the intercooler pipe.

Tried to do a bit of looking around on the internet about the intercooler pipe, and didn't see anything too drastic... Anything I should be looking out for when I test the car?

Cheers

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Wed Sep 19, 2018 6:27 pm

The Intercooler has air going through it, not oil!  If there’s oil in the Intercooler system then the turbo seals are going and that means a new/refurbished one may be needed soon.
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

mattchubb1

Post by mattchubb1 » Wed Sep 19, 2018 6:39 pm

[quote="X5Sport"]
The Intercooler has air going through it, not oil!  If there’s oil in the Intercooler system then the turbo seals are going and that means a new/refurbished one may be needed soon.
[/quote]

Hmmm palm hits my face and a shake from side to side.... thanks for letting me know that!