Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

My job for the weekend ...

General off-topic chat.
pvr
Lifer
Lifer

My job for the weekend ...

Post by pvr » Fri Dec 16, 2011 10:08 am

One of the garages which houses the Golf has one of those nice electric roller doors. Besides the car, it stores the drinks etc.

So ... Mrs PVR mentioned she could not open it last night via the remote, no problem I though, will check the batteries. Hmm, seem ok as the light works ok.

Replaced the batteries, still no joy. Through the window of the garage, I can see the light come on from the electric unit inside but no movement of the door. I can not hear the relay click either in the garage when listening close up (can I borrow your hearing aid Sanj? :P ).

Now, the minor trivial detail is that when this door was installed, there is no outside override as the manual release is on the inside and the garage does not have a backdoor ... Was never happy with this but was not a problem for the last 12 years until now.

So - I guess my only option is now to try to remove the window somehow from the outside to try to get in the garage and manually open the door to see what is going on. I am not sure if it is worth the effor to remove a couple of bricks to try to get my hand in to press the manual button on the door opener if the remote does not work either.

Any other suggestions welcome on how to open a roller door which is designed to resist break ins from the outside :(
X5M F85,  Golf Clipper, Abarth 595 Competizioni, Jeep

911 50th anniversary -
Site & Forum Admin Team Member.

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: My job for the weekend ...

Post by X5Sport » Fri Dec 16, 2011 3:43 pm

That's a fun little challenge for you. I know my parents double width 'up & over' door has a rope that can be pulled to disconnect the electrics so allowing the door to be moved manually - and it weighs a lot! But again you need to be inside the garage to do it.

A roller shutter type door is a different matter though especially when designed to resist attack. Without an external emergency release mechanism it sounds like your window/bricks out route may be your only choice as the motor is either kaput or jammed, or the gear drive has failed/jammed.
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

pvr
Lifer
Lifer

Post by pvr » Fri Dec 16, 2011 3:51 pm

I called the Cordula company that installed it and have a copy of the contract here which states that they should have installed an external manual override.

This override is not here, but the company has been taken over by another one, so not sure what the legal situation is here.

Next friday, an engineer is coming (£175 call out charce :x ) which includes 2 hours work to break into the garage. After that, I will commence the battle with regards to the installation fault - no doubt they will hide behind the "it was owned by a different parent company then" type response ...

Good thing there is only my toy car in there as otherwise it would be a little annoying that you can not get a car out of the garage.

911 50th anniversary -

EXPLORER

Post by EXPLORER » Fri Dec 16, 2011 4:17 pm

you could use £175, to put a side door in, or use your window opening, and make it larger, for door frame, that way you will have a lintel,, ready,, for future problems, on the unit, pluss it will get you in, and you may be able to sort it

just a thought, gl

pvr
Lifer
Lifer

Post by pvr » Fri Dec 16, 2011 4:37 pm

I was thinking about that, but I don't really want a door. One side of the garage contains a wood store, the other side is in the fruit garden and the back end contains the window which I referred to earlier and a door would not fit in there as there is a hedge joining the building there (and half covering the window).

Unfortunately also, £175 does not get me a door either as I get "house tax" from builders :)

911 50th anniversary -

SimplyRed

Post by SimplyRed » Sun Dec 18, 2011 12:28 pm

when the door is in the open position it is rolled up and stored in a bulky container.

is that containere on the outside or inside?

.....it is nearly always on the outside. if so then the end caps will be removable if its an off the shelf system then you can get in and disengage the motors and manually lift the door.

in my case where it was made to measure from galvanised steal i cut a tiny window with a cutting wheel.

my garage has 2 roller shutters but no doors . i was confident that there was zero chance of them both failing at the same time . how wrong was i.

pvr
Lifer
Lifer

Post by pvr » Sun Dec 18, 2011 12:43 pm

The roll is on the inside, the outside is completely flush. The company stated that for such a door it should have an override at the outside, protected by a key. This has not been installed so that is what my battle will be.

911 50th anniversary -