Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Brake Bleeding please help

Discuss your latest mods or ideas, and anything to do with the BMW X5 (E53).
macky

Brake Bleeding please help

Post by macky » Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:21 pm

Looking for some advice from someone in the know.

I have got the rear brake pipe sections to replace due to MOT on my E53 ,its the pipes that run from the rear calipers and across the rear upper suspension links.
I know if air gets into the ABS unit it will need to be programmed to open valves to bleed it and the rear brakes.I wish to avoid this at all costs.
What I'm proposing to do is clamp the rear pipes that are to be replaced, fit new pipe sections into caliper and then quickly screw up new pipe before all the fluid runs out of the system. I'm assuming as long as the reservoir does not empty no air will get into the ABS unit and I will be able to bleed the rear brakes in the traditional way. Has anyone done this sucessfully? I understand fluid changes can be done in a similar way without programming as long as the reservoir is not emptied.
Any advice greatly appreciated.

Horizon
Snr Member
Snr Member

Re: Brake Bleeding please help

Post by Horizon » Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:31 pm

Before you attempt that job, I think you have to have a proper BMW piece of kit to open a valve to allow bleeding. I would take to an Indie, can be a very expensive nightmare if you get it wrong.
Raj  will be able to tell you he posted a piece on it months ago, I think he had to get Jason on the job in the end.
2011 Kia Sorento KX3  2.2D 60 Plate Auto in black ( mine )
BMW E83 X3.  3.0d M Sport, 2008 in black ( now gone )
BMW E93 330i Convertible  Msport  2007.  ( Now sold )
VW Golf 2.0 TDI 140 GT 2010 ( now sold )
Now Sold 55 plate, X5, 3.0 D Sport. Silv

wilkoturbo

Post by wilkoturbo » Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:44 pm

Inpa5 will do it
bmw x5 le mans blue

jason@bwchiptune

Post by jason@bwchiptune » Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:19 pm

If you look for raj post you will see that we used a pressure bleeder as well as our diagnostics to activate the abs system

Make sure the system does not run dry or you can damage the seals in the master cylinder if you pump the pedal
PERFORMANCE TUNING REMAPS,DIAGNOSTICS,SERVICE & REPAIRS
TUNING DEALERS ACROSS THE UK
DYNO DYNAMICS ROLLING ROAD
http://www.bwchiptune.co.uk
http://www.bwautorepairs.co.uk

macky

Post by macky » Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:42 pm

[quote="jason@bwchiptune"]
If you look for raj post you will see that we used a pressure bleeder as well as our diagnostics to activate the abs system

Make sure the system does not run dry or you can damage the seals in the master cylinder if you pump the pedal
[/quote]

When you did RAJ's car was all the fluid drained from the reservoir when the calipers were removed? I'm trying to prevent air getting into the ABS unit in the first place which it seems can only get in from the master cylinder side of the system i.e when you loosen a joint or vent nipple and all the fluid drains out, I'm assuming if the master cyl reservoir never runs empty no air will enter the ABS unit.

Rusty
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Rusty » Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:52 pm

Wouldn't have thought you would get much syphon out as the system uses small bore pipework and the fluid is thicker than water, on top of that, if you keep the reservoir top on, it has less chance of sucking any air in.
3.0d Sport Exclusive E53 CB with black comfort, pano, folding dimming mirrors, 20"ers, comms, xenons, focal sub, Intravee II, GSM heater........and so on.
Runabout - E92 3 Series Coupe

Raj
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Raj » Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:49 am

With mine the air got in as the calipers were all removed and so yes the reservoir ran dry hence the need to have it done by Jason to cycle the valve to allow proper bleeding.

If you are quick enough with the removal and replacement of the pipe work and don't let the reservoir run dry then yes you should in theory not have an issue.

amacman

Post by amacman » Thu Feb 07, 2013 3:42 am

When you say clamp the brake pipes do you mean the rubber hoses . You can`t clamp the metal pipes .

The trick to prevent the fluid draining whilst you work with the system " open " is to remove the filler cap and put cling film over the hole and put the filler cap back on . The filler cap is vented and this is why you need to create a seal .

macky

Post by macky » Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:03 am

Yes obviously it will be the rubber hoses I will be clamping, a latex glove works well on the fluid reservoir.

macky

Post by macky » Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:58 pm

For anyone thats interested the job was a success with no issues, I sealed reservoir filler neck, clamped flexible hoses, removed calipers fitted new pads and hoses refitted and quickly screwed up new hoses, lost virtually no fluid, I then pressure bled the system at around 20 psi. I also removed the rear discs while I was there to overhaul the parkbrake setup which is a regular maintenance requirement on e53's.

Worth checking these rear hoses on your e53's very common mot failure, not easy for the examiner to see due to routing so worth checking yourself.

Raj
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Raj » Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:34 pm

Glad it all went straight forward. I've got a set of braided hoses to fit to mine at some point.

wilkoturbo

Post by wilkoturbo » Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:21 am

Ill be doing mine very soon!
bmw x5 le mans blue

Y13HYA

Post by Y13HYA » Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:36 am

great read. I have previously used INPA to do the above as someone mentioned.
[align=center]2003 Estoril Blue X5 4.6iS - LPG Converted  www.xenon-upgrades.co.uk[/align]

wilkoturbo

Post by wilkoturbo » Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:27 pm

Me and did it work ??
bmw x5 le mans blue

Y13HYA

Post by Y13HYA » Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:26 pm

[quote="wilkoturbo"]
Me and did it work ??
[/quote]
it worked on an 2004 E46 compact after having to replace a caliper and the DSC Pressure sensors
[align=center]2003 Estoril Blue X5 4.6iS - LPG Converted  www.xenon-upgrades.co.uk[/align]