Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

iPhone 4

General off-topic chat.
5hep

iPhone 4

Post by 5hep » Sat Jul 31, 2010 1:49 pm

I know quiet a few forum members have the 3GS but wondered who had changed over.

I got the 4 on launch day and to be honest not 100% happy.

I've got till the 7th August to return to O2 for a full refund. Luckely I kept my old 3GS which I had replaced by Apple the day before launch so could just switch back over to that.

The screen is amazing on new phone but I think I should give it 6 months for apple to resolve any issues.

Thoughts :?
Faded Carbon Black'ish 3.0d Exclusive / Abarth 500 Esseesse

sp3ctre
Administrator
Administrator

Re: iPhone 4

Post by sp3ctre » Sat Jul 31, 2010 1:52 pm

Interesting, what issues did you have? I know there are a few issues with iOS4 with some apps, but that's more of a software issue then a phone issue. From what I hear there aren't signal issues once it is in a case (which I would do), the only big issue seems to be the proximity sensor, which Apple are due to fix very soon in 4.1.

I am just waiting for it to come out on PAYG then I'll jump from my 3GS.

5hep

Post by 5hep » Sat Jul 31, 2010 2:00 pm

[quote=""sp3ctre""]Interesting, what issues did you have? I know there are a few issues with iOS4 with some apps, but that's more of a software issue then a phone issue. From what I hear there aren't signal issues once it is in a case (which I would do), the only big issue seems to be the proximity sensor, which Apple are due to fix very soon in 4.1.

I am just waiting for it to come out on PAYG then I'll jump from my 3GS.[/quote]

Proximity issue is a real pain. I thought 4.01 was supposed to fix but to no avail. Phone either mutes call or dials another number when you on the phone. Really weird :(

Dropped calls, never had this many on old 2, 3 or 3GS.

Battery is not as good as 3GS either but was a selling point of the new phone

Sanj
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Sanj » Sat Jul 31, 2010 2:13 pm

I have to agree the jump is not so noticeable from the 3Gs as say from the 3G but I get better battery life, great screen, no antenna issues (with or without a case), the proximity issue has only got me once.

You know you're gonna keep it anyway!
Scn Protect,Alarm Chirp,Ashtray del,Sub install,IV2,Screens,PS2 Media,Chrome rings,Schnitzer pedals,Reverse cam,Silver Grills,F/mirrors,Comp Spkrs,Heated S/W,20"168s,Splash scn,Arches,Remap,LED Tails,ACS Spoiler,'is' Bumper Trim,Rear heated seats,Rear blinds

5hep

Post by 5hep » Sat Jul 31, 2010 2:31 pm

Thats the problem, I really like the phone but think I may live to regret keeping this one once O2 close the window.

Proximity sensor is pain on mine, does it on most calls.

The case thing, or rather band !! yes I have one and no dont like cases on my phone so its back off again.

Sanj
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Sanj » Sat Jul 31, 2010 2:38 pm

Jig managed to get a great skin which works real well, try that, no case needed and the antenna issue is said to be resolved.
Scn Protect,Alarm Chirp,Ashtray del,Sub install,IV2,Screens,PS2 Media,Chrome rings,Schnitzer pedals,Reverse cam,Silver Grills,F/mirrors,Comp Spkrs,Heated S/W,20"168s,Splash scn,Arches,Remap,LED Tails,ACS Spoiler,'is' Bumper Trim,Rear heated seats,Rear blinds

pvr
Lifer
Lifer

Post by pvr » Sat Jul 31, 2010 2:39 pm

What is this proximity thing? I am a BB man so don't know the iPhone ...
X5M F85,  Golf Clipper, Abarth 595 Competizioni, Jeep

911 50th anniversary -
Site & Forum Admin Team Member.

sp3ctre
Administrator
Administrator

Post by sp3ctre » Sat Jul 31, 2010 2:43 pm

[quote=""pvr""]What is this proximity thing? I am a BB man so don't know the iPhone ...[/quote]

There is a proximity sensor near the ear piece so when you hold it to your ear it shuts off the (touch) screen. It seems to intermittently not work on the iPhone 4, meaning you can press the screen with your face/ear while you are on a call. I think it will be fixed in OS 4.1

Sanj
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Sanj » Sat Jul 31, 2010 2:44 pm

Because it's a touch screen it is supposed deactivate the screen when you put it to your ear, the whole idea is not working as well as previous version... So you can end up muting or anything else with your ear because the screen remains active.

pvr
Lifer
Lifer

Post by pvr » Sat Jul 31, 2010 2:53 pm

ah, ok. No such problems on the BB, but then again I use it as a phone ... :oops:
X5M F85,  Golf Clipper, Abarth 595 Competizioni, Jeep

911 50th anniversary -
Site & Forum Admin Team Member.

jeegnesh

iPhone 4

Post by jeegnesh » Sat Jul 31, 2010 3:25 pm

Get a replacement the proximity seems to be worse on some mine is pretty bad. Personally I'm waiting the fix is in 4.1 beta2 so 4.1 when it comes out. 4.0.1 never promised anything but the signal bars being bigger and true.

Battery is definitely better then 3GS but not a huge amount. I would say check your brightness setting and do you the same things on as you on the 3GS wifi, 3G, Bluetooth, location, push notifications, push mail?

Turn push mail off and switch to fetch every ... saves alot of battery and Bluetooth always on uses alot if battery.

Personally I could never go back to the 3GS now. Camera, Camcorder, Screen resolution. If you haven't using those then I guess it makes no difference.
Mods: H Steering, Towbar, Wide Arches, Inforad K2, HIDS, Heated Seats, PS2 Media Center, x555 Sub Box (Focal), Rear Fake Tins, RV Cam, Screen Protect, Front Tints, 168 20's, Re-Map, Black Roundels, De-badge, BSW Dash Mids, Tweeter & Xover, Rear Screens, Intravee

Pewters

Post by Pewters » Sat Jul 31, 2010 4:45 pm

I'll be getting one when my local O2 eventually get stock :headbang: ...........i'm hoping its a nice improvement over my 3g

535dboy
Lifer
Lifer

Post by 535dboy » Sat Jul 31, 2010 6:37 pm

I've had mine for while now

The problem I have is that is just seems to hang every so often for no reason :headbang:
Currently :
2012 Audi RS4 (B8)
2012 Porsche Boxster S (981)
2008 Lotus Exige S (a bit modified!)
2015 Nissan Leaf twin turbo with Nitros

Previously :
2008 BMW X5 3.0sd MSport
2005 BMW 535d MSport

jeegnesh

iPhone 4

Post by jeegnesh » Sat Jul 31, 2010 7:38 pm

[quote=""Pewters""]I'll be getting one when my local O2 eventually get stock :headbang: ...........i'm hoping its a nice improvement over my 3g[/quote]
Over 3G huge.
Mods: H Steering, Towbar, Wide Arches, Inforad K2, HIDS, Heated Seats, PS2 Media Center, x555 Sub Box (Focal), Rear Fake Tins, RV Cam, Screen Protect, Front Tints, 168 20's, Re-Map, Black Roundels, De-badge, BSW Dash Mids, Tweeter & Xover, Rear Screens, Intravee

jeegnesh

iPhone 4

Post by jeegnesh » Sat Jul 31, 2010 7:39 pm

[quote=""535dboy""]I've had mine for while now

The problem I have is that is just seems to hang every so often for no reason :headbang:[/quote]
Full restore if you can be bothered. Also did you restore from backup when you upgraded that can cause issues.