Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

LED angel eye question

Discuss your latest mods or ideas, and anything to do with the BMW X5 (E70).
X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: LED angel eye question

Post by X5Sport » Mon Apr 30, 2012 1:19 pm

That's a bugger!! Unfortunately the TIS website doesn't go up to that model :( A search on the usual sites tends to indicate it's a bumper off job too... :?

I had just edited mine when you posted as the W5W or T10 type came up on a search too...... :thumbsup:

Osram/Sylvania's Website has it as a type 2827 Long Life
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

Raj
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Raj » Mon Apr 30, 2012 2:46 pm

I think the part number you're after is 63127192578 which is item 6 on the realoem link X5sport posted previously.

And I don't think there are any after market replacement bulbs for those.

J4m1e5

Post by J4m1e5 » Mon Apr 30, 2012 4:56 pm

Its just a halogen bulb at the end of the day. Surely there must be a bulb to suit it? Im trying to find out what fitment the bulb is inside it.

Raj
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Raj » Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:56 pm

[quote=""J4m1e5""]Its just a halogen bulb at the end of the day. Surely there must be a bulb to suit it? Im trying to find out what fitment the bulb is inside it.[/quote]

It is just a halogen bulb as is the ones used in the E53 AE's but until you get one out it is the connector/fitting type that will be the issue. Once removed it may well be, for example, the same style used in the E53 or similar.

CR55

Post by CR55 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:48 pm

J4m1e5,,,

Did you ever get this racked ?

I have a pre-facelift 59 plate and also interested in changing the bulb on the "halo's"',,,,,  not to achieve brightness  on current models, purely just to freshen up the front end and get rid of the orange glow,,

Cheers,
CR55

nexus66

Post by nexus66 » Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:27 pm

I've been investigating this...

I found this on ebay: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/251035331292?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649 but at £75 quid seems a bit expensive. I asked the seller for more info and he sent me this link http://xenonhid4u.co.uk/led-lighting-accessories-sidelights-interior-kits-number-plate-lights-daytime-running-lights-drl/angel-eyes-marker-kits/bmw-angel-eyes-led-upgrade-e90-91.html saying that his bulb looks identical, but has different resistors inside. He hasn't confirmed what wattage his are yet.

I can't understand why the seller's bulbs would have different resistors, as the load resistors are used to fool the CANBUS bulb check. So I've been looking at different options using E90/E91 bulbs - but have yet to buy anything. Currently thinking of trying the MTEC V4s but they are also £75. Seems there are various 20W LED options http://autolights.co.uk/products-page/led-angel-eye/bmw-high-power-oem-angel-eye-upgrade-20we90-e91/ for example, but I worry about the LEDs being over-driven and premature failure since the bulbs are such a pain to get to!

Getting to the OEM bulb is a PITA - you have to go in through the wheel arch lining - which means new blind rivets as they are not re-useable! So I'm currently amassing parts to do a HID conversion, Angel Eyes and LED DRLs all at once!

Sorry for the brain dump, I hope this make some sense!

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:32 pm

Different LEDs use different resistors for matching the supply voltage to what the LEDs can handle and to limit the maximum amount of forward current flowing through the device.  The resistors could also be different in terms of maximum power handling too.  One manufacturer may use 30W resistors whilst another uses a pair of 15W in series etc....it's not just to fool the Canbus system.  And as you rightly say, the LED itself could be being driven too hard to make it a little brighter which will eventually end up in a puff of smoke.....and darkness ;)

Richard
Last edited by X5Sport on Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

nexus66

Post by nexus66 » Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:57 pm

Fair point. But I guess the key message is that we are upgradeable. I need to try and get a better view of the existing bulb through the main beam cover before I buy anything.

nexus66

Post by nexus66 » Sun Feb 24, 2013 5:56 pm

Ok, it's do-able, and I've done it! Bought an E90 style led bulb set and after much cursing, swearing and general pulling the car to bits I managed to fit them. To cut a long story short, you need to completely remove the headlights in order to fit the angel eye bulbs. It's not a job for the faint-hearted, but the result is well awesome! :-)

IvanG

Post by IvanG » Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:23 pm

[quote="nexus66"]
Ok, it's do-able, and I've done it! Bought an E90 style led bulb set and after much cursing, swearing and general pulling the car to bits I managed to fit them. To cut a long story short, you need to completely remove the headlights in order to fit the angel eye bulbs. It's not a job for the faint-hearted, but the result is well awesome! :-)

[/quote]

Looks great. Worth the hard work!

Raj
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Raj » Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:33 pm

Nice job. It's always worth it.

nexus66

Post by nexus66 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 3:13 pm

Yes, it's definitely worth it. The more I see them, the happier I am that I persevered and got it done!

Driver's side is the worst to do. The washer bottle and some other fixed bolt thing gets seriously in the way, making it seem impossible to get the headlight out. I had to resort to breaking the top outermost fixing off the light to get the assembly out. The passenger side is a cake walk in comparison.

I now deliberately walk round the front of the car when I unlock it just to see them lit!  :D

Pope

Post by Pope » Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:49 pm

Nice job...:thumbsup:

How long do you think it would take a mechanically challenged Muppet (like me) do fit the LEDs.

Shame you didn't do a 'How to' guide with pics though.. :whistle: 
:pope:
Garage:
BMW X6 40d Pink
Ducati Diavel 1198 Carbon

Raj
Lifer
Lifer

Post by Raj » Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:37 pm

The bumper needs to be removed to get the headlights out just as a starter.

If you know where all bolts, etc need to be removed then getting the bumper off is fairly straight forward.
Last edited by Raj on Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nexus66

Post by nexus66 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:30 am

The bumper doesn't need to come off. Even the BMW tis instructions don't advise that. To do the drivers side properly (without breaking anything off) you'd need to remove the washer bottle which means stripping out the entire wheel arch liner. I only dismantled the front half on both sides. But it can be done without removing the bumper!

If you're pretty confident at stripping things like this, I'd say you could do it in 4/5 hours first time. I was pretty practiced after previously doing a hid conversion, so it took me about 3.

I might do a rough diy when not on my mobile, but I don't have pics.