Not joined yet? Register for free and enjoy features such as alerts, private messaging and viewing latest posts and topics.

Other drivers irritate me when....

General car related chat
scooby1doo1

Re: Other drivers irritate me when....

Post by scooby1doo1 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:27 am

Cops round my end was fining people for having snow covered cars at the weekend, and rightly so as well.
Big chunks of now ice on the roof flying off at 70mph hitting your car can cause loss of control, smashed wind screens.
Even leaving the snow on your roof will no doubt cover your vision if you need to brake, because that is then transferred from the roof to the screen.
Was not impressed at all with the amount of cars, vans like this.

Sent from the Iphone via talktapa

PeterL

Post by PeterL » Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:32 am

Call me ageist but the majority of drivers certainly near me that exceed pensionable age seem to drive appallingly.  I saw one driver who was probably about 80 struggle to get to his car then, struggle to get in then struggle to even engage first gear.  Suffice to say accident waiting to happen.  Don,t get me wrong I don,t hate oldies I will be one some day if this ever happens to me I will get a damned driver (two young boys be about right when they are old enough to drive he, he ,he).
Wife's best comment "Your car hates me" ref E39 M5
Wife's next best comment "Your car doesn't go in a straight line" ref E39 M5

BMW E39 M5 Le Mans Blue, Black leather Seats with Silver inserts
BMW X6 40d Azurite Black, Ind Slate Leather, Professional Hi-Fi, Top and Side View cameras,

huck

Post by huck » Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:35 am

Nearly had a nasty accident because an old chap turning right in front of my car. What was even more disconcerting was that he was utterly oblivious to me and my blaring car horn, after the event.

In a split second my plans to buy another motorbike vaporised, literally at that point. :(

------------------------
Huck (iPhone mode!)

PeterL

Post by PeterL » Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:40 am

There was some good that came from it then.

BMW X6 40d Azurite Black, Ind Slate Leather, Professional Hi-Fi, Top and Side View cameras,

huck

Post by huck » Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:45 am

[quote="PeterL"]
There was some good that came from it then.
[/quote]

Y'know, you're absolutely right. I know there are a few bikers here and I was certainly mad about bikes a few years ago. Fundamentally, though, it's a selfish pursuit (IMHO) when you've got young kids and the stats don't lie. I won't ever, in a million years, criticise another's choice but I just couldn't do it at this stage in my life.

During my career, I have seen far too many injuries, physical and psychological, due to bike accidents.

------------------------
Huck (iPhone mode!)

PeterL

Post by PeterL » Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:46 am

Dare I say it that a lot of bike accidents are due to driver negligence. 

huck

Post by huck » Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:47 am

They are. That's the scary bit.

------------------------
Huck (iPhone mode!)

Don Coffey
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Don Coffey » Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:28 am

[quote="PeterL"]
Dare I say it that a lot of bike accidents are due to driver negligence.
[/quote]

Only taken off the bike once, woman pulled out of side street turning right yet only looking left to ensure she didn't hit any traffic coming from the other direction!  Well she didn't, only me!  ::)

Don

PS, it was an Audi A4, I was on an Africa Twin.  Bike had about £500 worth of damage, mostly cosmetic, the Audi....written off!  Just sorry I don't have any pictures.

Don

huck

Post by huck » Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:31 am

Eek! Any injuries?

------------------------
Huck (iPhone mode!)

Don Coffey
Snr Member
Snr Member

Post by Don Coffey » Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:36 am

[quote="huck"]
Eek! Any injuries?

------------------------
Huck (iPhone mode!)
[/quote]
surprisingly very little, sore leg.  The bike was a bit of a beast and also had engine bars on that took a lot of the force.  Although I don't remember the impact, I must have made an effort to jump clear as I ended up on the bonnet, rather than under the car.

Don

X5Sport
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by X5Sport » Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:03 pm

We went and looked at the big BMW Tourer (K1600) a couple of weekends back.  Wonderful piece of kit, but the thought of being a Dad any minute and the way some of the drivers around here fail to spot bikes meant that sadly I had to say no.  Still very very tempted but have greater responsibilities.

Sometimes doing the 'right' thing is a b1tch... :(
:ant: Never anthropomorphise computers. They hate that.

lezmtaylor

Post by lezmtaylor » Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:05 pm

[quote="PeterL"]
Call me ageist but the majority of drivers certainly near me that exceed pensionable age seem to drive appallingly.  I saw one driver who was probably about 80 struggle to get to his car then, struggle to get in then struggle to even engage first gear.  Suffice to say accident waiting to happen.  Don,t get me wrong I don,t hate oldies I will be one some day if this ever happens to me I will get a damned driver (two young boys be about right when they are old enough to drive he, he ,he).
[/quote].

Yes I am an oldie (70 in May), and am getting a bit fed up up with this ageist crap going about on the forum, if my son was alive( 23 when killed) wiped out on his mbike by a 40 year old who didn;t look right and fined £50.
He would no doubt have given me a hand, but that's life.

Lez
2002. 4.4lpg,ledAE's,Xenons,paddleshift,compass mirror,inst rings,led int lights,rear camera,crystal tailights,eisenmann road exh,Schnitzer pedals,chrome indicators,colour co-ord headlamps & bonnet grilles,hualigim entertainment system.dash and rearcamera,comfort seats.hud,bull bars,engine instalube

huck

Post by huck » Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:23 pm

[quote="lezmtaylor"]
[quote="PeterL"]
[/quote].

Yes I am an oldie (70 in May), and am getting a bit fed up up with this ageist crap going about on the forum, if my son was alive( 23 when killed) wiped out on his mbike by a 40 year old who didn;t look right and fined £50.
He would no doubt have given me a hand, but that's life.

Lez
[/quote]

:( :(

Lez, that's terribly sad and I'm genuinely sad to read your post. It's one of those that makes you stop in your tracks for a few seconds. :(

Nevertheless, I don't think there is ageist crap on here. It's a fact of life that older drivers' reactions are slower and some just shouldn't be on the road. It's horrible for me to admit that my dad, who was a very good driver and taught me, is clearly losing his abilities at the age of 73. Sure, it may not be the same trajectory for everyone but the principle holds. Just as, I might add, that testosterone fuelled young men are likely to cause loads of accidents. That's not ageist either.

Again, all IMO, and sorry once more to hear of your family's loss.

------------------------
Huck (iPhone mode!)